UNH Recruits: 2012-2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Recruits: 2012-2014

According to USHR, Eric Chevrier has decided to leave UNH and head west to the Surrey Eagles (BCHL).

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
      According to USHR, Eric Chevrier has decided to leave UNH and head west to the Surrey Eagles (BCHL).
      Why are we not surprised? Clearly Umile had no intention of suiting him up this year, and with Quast committing to UNH the writing was on the wall.

Best of luck to Eric...."we hardly knew ye.....:
      sigpicSouthern New Hampshire University '95

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
      On a side note, when I found this video I also found some highlights of CC smoking BC in St. Louis. It was even worse than I remember. My God what an abortion that night was. Wow!

Comment

Recruiting is the life blood of college athletics.

Right now UNH's seem to be a total disaster area.

Not surprisingly the team is in steep decline.

If I am head coach I know who is getting the ax…
        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
          Also would like someone to shed some light on admissions. Apparently the school now has delusions that they can be the Michigan or Berkeley of New England. Clearly UNH has been trying to clean up their image as a top ten party school. Good for them. And there is nothing wrong with attempting to elevate the quality of the student body. But I am not quite clear why the hockey program has been singled out here. Over the years UNH Hockey has had a fabulous graduation rate, well over 90%, with several of their players, including All-Americans like Flashians and Regan, truly excelling in the classroom. Given the track record, it puzzles me no end as to why the worm has turned. It is clearly the top reason why Lassonde left as he had many offers to leave previously and always turned them down. If admission is, in fact, reluctant to balance their standards with the needs of the hockey team, I sure hope the rationale was conveyed to the athletic director and coaching staff.
          This seems to be consistent with the UNH model:

Phase one: Charge more in tuition than comparable schools in the area, and more than any other state school in the country.
          Phase two: Become fare more selective with admissions than comparable/superior schools in the region.
          Phase three: Scale back significantly in graduate programs and grant research programs.
          Phase four:.......profit?
          Hit Somebody!

Comment

I'm reading C-H-C's writeup on the Vecchione story over on the blog. I'm wondering if the 7 missed games due to injury had anything to do with UNH's request to wait out another year. It seems odd to ask the top recruit to wait based on over-commitment rather than someone else.
            Hit Somebody!

Comment

I have been a big fan of the coach since he was a player, but this recruiting fiasco year after year after year has reached intolerable proportions. Wasn't Thompson a true freshman when he arrived? Look how that turned out. Collins as well. And Yandles brother - he was deferred to the NHL... Idiotic. Not only recruiting blunders but the lack of change at the goalie position until we are mired in eighth place also shows a coach that sadly may be ready for retirement. I was chatting to the guy next to me at the Whit early in the season, we were saying that DiG doesn't have "it" this year... yet there was no change. Unlike when he had a better goalie than DiG in Sean Matilie but coach then changed up to Conklin, a freshman, and the rest is history. Albeit ancient history. At the very least, TODAY we need better recruiters, and more recruiting time in Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Umileated View Post
                Phase one: Charge more in tuition than comparable schools in the area, and more than any other state school in the country.
                With state budget cuts what is the alternative?

Phase two: Become fare more selective with admissions than comparable/superior schools in the region.
                Not a bad strategy given Phase one. If you are charging more, provide more value.

Phase three: Scale back significantly in graduate programs and grant research programs.
                My understanding is that UNH is offering more revenue generating programs and becoming more entrepreneurial.

Phase four:.......profit?
                It has been mentioned, not completely seriously, but President Huddleston stated something to the effect of UNH transitioning from a "State funded" to "State located" school.
                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by UNHfansince1971 View Post
                  I have been a big fan of the coach since he was a player, but this recruiting fiasco year after year after year has reached intolerable proportions. Wasn't Thompson a true freshman when he arrived? Look how that turned out. Collins as well. And Yandles brother - he was deferred to the NHL... Idiotic. Not only recruiting blunders but the lack of change at the goalie position until we are mired in eighth place also shows a coach that sadly may be ready for retirement. I was chatting to the guy next to me at the Whit early in the season, we were saying that DiG doesn't have "it" this year... yet there was no change. Unlike when he had a better goalie than DiG in Sean Matilie but coach then changed up to Conklin, a freshman, and the rest is history. Albeit ancient history. At the very least, TODAY we need better recruiters, and more recruiting time in Canada.
                  Awesome post, you read my mind. Been meaning to post on the differences between the current goaltending fiasco and how the situation was handled more than a decade ago. You are right on the money about Conklin replacing Matile. And don't forget that just a couple years earlier it was Matile, a sophomore, who replaced Brian Larochelle, an upperclassman, at mid-season. Remember Ryan Harris? Played like three dozen games as a freshman-sophomore, played less than ten his final two seasons, (when UNH went to back-to-back Frozen Fours,) because better players came along. As for this pushing people back crap. there will be an assistant coach on the visitors bench in two weeks who walked in here as an 18 year old, and played in every game for the next four years. Like you said, look how that turned out.

Like you I have been a big fan of Dick Umile since he was a player. As I posted earlier I was around here in the mid-1980's, and I appreciate him bring UNH hockey back from that abyss. I understand that it is human nature to get a bit more conservative as one gets older, but the situation is really troubling right now. Its not my place to call for one's retirement but I believe a change is needed in methods if not in personnel.
                  UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                    It has been mentioned, not completely seriously, but President Huddleston stated something to the effect of UNH transitioning from a "State funded" to "State located" school.
                    We're digressing here, I know. If that really is the direction of the school, then it is losing what should be its vision as a state school - provide accessible education to its residents. Even before budgetary issues, the school was on the far end of the cost spectrum of state schools. With that concern aside, it's fine to be exclusive and expensive, just make sure you're worth it. I'm not as convinced that other measures and overhauls are being made to ensure this. I need to ask friends who have a finger closer to the pulse of the graduate/research claim, but my understanding is that graduate departments are being restructured and re-consolidated, and a number of Engineering grant programs have been cut at the discretion of the school.
                    Hit Somebody!

Comment

Hey guys. Chin up. I hear theres a bunch of fellas from BU now avaialble.
                      sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
                        Hey guys. Chin up. I hear theres a bunch of fellas from BU now avaialble.
                        Doesn't Maine have first dibs on other schools rejects?

Comment

Has the Western Canada pipeline dried up? Starting when they were at Brown and eventually trnsferring to Durham, Brian McCloskey & Scott Borek both were responsible for recruiting blue chippers to Brown and then UNH. They just about lived with the chilliwack Chiefs. There are only three players on this seasons roster, and they all appear to be solid players, but nobody from the Chiefs. It that era over or is this just a lull in the action?

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
                            Doesn't Maine have first dibs on other schools rejects?
                            especially those that can't get into other schools academically

Comment

Originally posted by UNHfansince1971 View Post
                              Solid posts... I will say this though, Matile and Conklin split time throughout the regular season in 98-99, and it wasn't until the Hockey East semis/finals that Conklin played back-to-back, I believe (?). And the same can be said for 01-02 with Carney and Ayers. You can look at those two teams as the best two we've seen in in this generation (the 02-03 made it a game further, but I still maintain that 01-02 team was the most talented we've seen top to bottom), and they both had pretty good rotation in net, maybe some greatness came from the competition.

I mentioned earlier that Saviano and Collins were two of the best Mass high school kids and they came and made a big impact (Saviano maybe took a year to get settled) and Vecchione may have been even better than those two at that level (?)
                              I just don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
                                Awesome post, you read my mind. Been meaning to post on the differences between the current goaltending fiasco and how the situation was handled more than a decade ago. You are right on the money about Conklin replacing Matile. And don't forget that just a couple years earlier it was Matile, a sophomore, who replaced Brian Larochelle, an upperclassman, at mid-season. Remember Ryan Harris? Played like three dozen games as a freshman-sophomore, played less than ten his final two seasons, (when UNH went to back-to-back Frozen Fours,) because better players came along. As for this pushing people back crap. there will be an assistant coach on the visitors bench in two weeks who walked in here as an 18 year old, and played in every game for the next four years. Like you said, look how that turned out.

Like you I have been a big fan of Dick Umile since he was a player. As I posted earlier I was around here in the mid-1980's, and I appreciate him bring UNH hockey back from that abyss. I understand that it is human nature to get a bit more conservative as one gets older, but the situation is really troubling right now. Its not my place to call for one's retirement but I believe a change is needed in methods if not in personnel.
                                You have your facts about the goalie situation back in the late '90's a bit off. The trail of goalies from '95 - '99 was as follows. In '95-'96 it was Trent Cavicchi who started. He actually had played decently as a sophomore and junior, but had a miserable season as a senior. However UNH did not have a qualified back up, only Larochelle, who was first and foremost a catcher on the baseball team (remember those days?). It wasn't until the season was over 2/3 gone before Umile felt comfortable putting Larochelle in net. The next season, '96-'97 UNH started with Larochelle because Sean Matile was not eligible. Matile was required to sit out 10 games because he had been on a Major Junior roster for all of one game. That tidbit was why Maine backed off of him (this after the Walsh recruiting shenanigans earlier in the decade). Larochelle won 10 straight games I think as part of UNH's 14 straight that year, but once Matile was eligible, Larochelle never played again, much to the chagrin of many UNHers. Matile's first game that year was at UVM against St. Louis & Perrin. He had something like 18 saves in the first period and UNH won the game in a shootout. The next season, '97-'98, it was basically Matile all the way. That was the year UNH dominated until they fell flat in February, lost to Maine at home in the quarterfinals, then rebounded thanks to the Mowers goal and made the FF. The next season, '98-'99, is when Ty Conklin came in and, if memory serves me, he and Matile shared the goaltending duties all season. Right up through the Hockey East playoffs it was basically a rotation but in the NCAA's it was Ty. I know that Conklin was in goal for both games in Anaheim, but I'd have to check to see if he also played the OT game vs. Michigan in Worcester.

Re: Ryan Harris, his place was basically taken by better players. By the time he was a senior ('99), he didn't even dress but instead was some sort of quasi graduate assistant. I believe he was behind the bench, in a jacket and tie, for the FF in Anaheim. Pretty hard to equate his fate with Vechionne's. Harris was a fifth line player on a highly skilled FF-calibre team. Vechionne is coming into a situation where there is no one, either actually or potentially, with skills approximating Krog or Haydar.

You know, it pains me to write that last sentence. UNH had some awfully good players 10-15 years ago. But today we have no assistant as capable as McCloskey was back then to keep the talent pool coming. This in a recruiting landscape where, frankly, there are fewer great players who are being sought by more teams, not only the colleges but Major Juniors as well. In a time when the ability to recruit is even more crucial, UNH is sliding backwards. Losing Vechionne is just another example. Let's see how long it takes for UNH to nab another top 5 Massachusetts forward. Could be awhile.

Regarding Umile's retirement, it won't be in the near future. The qualities that make Umile a great coach - hard work, loyalty to the school, player/coach relationships - are the things that will keep him going. The guy loves to coach, he loves his players and, my guess is, he sees no reason to retire. Personally, I don't either. The drop off in results this year have come not because he has failed as a coach, they have come because the talent brought in is not up to past standards, plain and simple. I'm not sure that it is in Umile's make up to ax the veteran assistant given his loyalty to the people around him. But I'd like to think he has made it known that he's not satisfied with some of the player selections made. What is going to be done about it, who knows. UNH is in a tough position right now with their position in the league, the thinning of the roster, the departure of a long time assistant, the loss of a top recruit, and the increased competition out there. The landscape doesn't look pretty. We'll just have to see how it plays out.

Comment

Working...
                                X