Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RIT 2010-11: What do Tigers dream of?

While looking around for recruit information, I ran across a story in the Saint Cloud Times about Cam Reid a freshman on St Cloud State, and younger brother of the Tigers newest addition, Brad Reid.

His other older brother, Brad, may make the trip if his schedule allows it. Brad, 20, is a forward for the Coquitlam Express of the British Columbia Hockey League. If the Express are in the playoffs, Brad will not make the trip.
    But there is an outside shot that Brad could end up in St. Cloud another way. The 6-foot-1, 174-pounder is being recruited by Rochester Institute of Technology and Maine and has had some discussions with the St. Cloud State coaching staff.
    "He's kind of a late bloomer, even worse than I am," Reid said of Brad. "He's going to commit somewhere here pretty soon."
    John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
    AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
    AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
    NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
    NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
    NCAA DII - 1983
    NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
      Two words:
      Ringwald
      Tanev

I would have thrown in DeMichiel as a third, but I don't think goaltending is the primary culprit in the precipitous drop-off in the PK from last season to this one.
      The Tigers need to figure this aspect of their game out or they won't be making a return trip to the NCAA's in 2011, that's for sure. If they do, however get the PK back to where it was, look out! It certainly would be nice not to take so many penalties, but it seems to be a habit of this team over the D-I era. I think in the past they got away with it with the likes of Ringwald, Menard, DeMichiel, Tanev, Guimond, etc. patrolling the Tiger zone / crease.
      McReynolds is the only good PK'er. He's not afraid of jumping in front of anyone's shot. Tigers don't have enough of those guys.
      RIT TIGERS
      2007-08 AHA Pick'em Champion

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Fan View Post
        McReynolds is the only good PK'er. He's not afraid of jumping in front of anyone's shot. Tigers don't have enough of those guys.
        I completely disagree. Knowles and Cornacchia do a fine job out there. There speed alone is tough for any team to handle. TigerFan was close saying how much Tanev and Ringwald are missed, but the real issue is the number of penalties RIT is taking this year. I was so busy last week I did not get a chance to post, but I was livid with the penalties that the Tigers took in the third against UCONN. They followed it up with taking 7 minutes and two misconducts penalties against Niagara in the third this past week. All though to be fair I think the Hooking call on Hartley was horrible, not to mention that Tyler Brenner may have become the first player ever to get a Boarding penalty with out the player he hit actually making contact with the board (penatly happen in the first).

The real alkalis heel of this team is the blue line. They have a lot of young talent that shows a lot of promise, but still makes about a half dozen terrible mistakes each game. Paul Zanette could be the best player in the AHA this year. But the Tigers defensemen made him look like blipin Ovechkin on Friday. No way at this level should defensemen be getting pick pocketed from behind like they did two or three times on Friday. With Haltigin being out it makes matters that much worst, but what really is getting me is that all most everyone else who return on the Blueline from last year has seemed to taken a step back this year. Maybe from trying to do to much to fill the holes.

At this time its hard for me to look at anyone and say that I am sure RIT will be at Blue Cross come March. Coach Wilson has one of the tougest jobs he ever faced at RIT thanks to last years success, expectations are high as ever. Its going to be a battle every night from now to the playoffs...
        Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
        The Mule
        Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
          Robert Morris, imo, REALLY had a great chance to make it tough to catch them in the standings with all the league games they have played so far. I think it is going to be a dogfight for those precious byes in the first round there.
          I think you just have to look back two years ago when the Tigers came from no where to catch Air Force who had a big lead at the begaining of the season. You really do not know how to get a read on any team at this point given the unbalance schedule thus for as Learch pointed out the other day Canisisus for example has played 10 of their 27 league games. Bentley has played 3. I think RIT like Air Force is in the middle of major growing pains so it all most perfect timing for Robert Morris and Niagara to come into the league. I think everyone will come around and it will be a big battle come playoff time, but will the Tigers have to travel during the playoffs as they work out their growing pains?????
          Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
          The Mule
          Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
            I agree only if the parity is between very good teams. There is almost nothing worse than watching a league with a a bunch of mediocre teams. Ugh.
            Agreed, the back and forth that this year has been exciting and depressing at the same time. It's forced me to up my blood pressure medicine but it's worth it.

In the end, the Tigers have to stop the penalties late in the game and play to the final horn and they'll be around come play-off time to take on the rest of the league.
            RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Anyone need tickets for this weekend? I'll be out of town for Thanksgiving. I have a single ticket for both the Friday and Saturday game. Free! Just shoot me an email or PM.
              TIGERS HOCKEY
              Rochester Institute of Technology

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Fan View Post
                I disagree with this also, he can block shots but he isn't a strong enough skater for this role. He is out of position many times and isn't agile enough on his feet. In general the whole PK unit is out of position and chasing the opposing players around our zone. You can even see this at even strength. I think the year Eckenswiller missed really hurt his development and Haltigan hasn't been able to step into the void left by Ringwald (and has been hurt himself).

I agree with much of Tom said on the subject in terms of the number of penalities we are taking too. Don't forget we also lost Matic and Alexin who were great penality killing forwards themselves. This is going to be a development year as underclassmen develop into the roles we need from them. I still think we'll put a run together but we would be very hard pressed come to out of the BCA as the AHA champion this year
                RIT Tigers
                Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions: 2010, 2015, 2016
                Frozen Four Appearances: 2010

Comment

Clearly - the penalties are a problem, and I do think PART of it is the youth on the defense.

Ringwald, and Raymond before him, were very good on defense. I don't think there is a shutdown pair on the team as of now. That makes it difficult.

One think I do like is that the freshman forwards, particularly Mitchell and Colaveccia have made a big splash on offense, and Hartley is building on his freshman year.
                  2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                  2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                  2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                  2010 Frozen Four participant
                  2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

McReynold's being a strong part of the Tiger's PK is laughable, as he never seems to pass up a chance for a stupid, unnecessary penalty.
                    Some say that if you're not taking flak, you're not over the target.

I just wonder why the goal seems to be taking flak.

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                      Clearly - the penalties are a problem, and I do think PART of it is the youth on the defense.

Ringwald, and Raymond before him, were very good on defense. I don't think there is a shutdown pair on the team as of now. That makes it difficult.

One think I do like is that the freshman forwards, particularly Mitchell and Colaveccia have made a big splash on offense, and Hartley is building on his freshman year.
                      Yes Mitchell, Colaveccia, and Hartley are all bright spots for this team. We shouldn't dwell entirely on the negative I think Mitchell might be another Brenner by his Junior year
                      RIT Tigers
                      Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                      Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions: 2010, 2015, 2016
                      Frozen Four Appearances: 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cplinford View Post
                        Don't forget we also lost Matic and Alexin who were great penality killing forwards themselves.
                        I, for one, did forget... (no idea why)
                        OK, FOUR Words:
                        Ringwald
                        Matic
                        Alexin
                        Tanev
                        (and of course, DeMichiel)

Although, like I said, I'd prefer they not take so many penalties, they've always taken more than their fair share of penalties. But up until this season, they've also been able to kill an awesome percentage of them off anyhow due to the four (five) guys listed above. That was one hell of a # 1 PK unit right there. That standard is going to be hard to live up to for anyone.
                        Reducing the number of penalties is fine, but until they learn how to actually kill off power plays at a reasonable percentage, they're going to be in trouble. Hopefully, as the goalies get some more experience under their belts, they can steal a few PK's here and there to pick up the slack for the defense.
                        Can't we all just get along?
                        Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Having noticed that RIT has two MORE forwards committed for next year, and one more for '12, I have to think that this is either a departure from the "replacement" strategy of recruitment, or anticipation that underclassmen may be leaving the program after the current season. Could it also be that last year's success has engendered much more interest, and the program is absorbing as many talented players as possible? None of these thoughts is mutually exclusive.

Comment

Originally posted by ken66 View Post
                            Having noticed that RIT has two MORE forwards committed for next year, and one more for '12, I have to think that this is either a departure from the "replacement" strategy of recruitment, or anticipation that underclassmen may be leaving the program after the current season. Could it also be that last year's success has engendered much more interest, and the program is absorbing as many talented players as possible? None of these thoughts is mutually exclusive.

according to heisenberg's list its 4 forwards, + 1 center, + 1 defenseman, +1 center for next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by ken66 View Post
                              I could be wrong but our roster feels 1-2 players short this year compared to past years - only 14 forwards and 7 defensemen, which doesn't leave us much room for error in terms of injury. Obviously a bigger roster can come with issues re: balancing ice time, but adding 1-2 more than we lose next season might be a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by dutchbrowncoat View Post
                                *****http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/2986/downloadfile.jpg******

now i am no hockey expert, but that can't be a good thing for winning hockey games.
                                Just a note on the statistic of penalty minutes... RIT has only played 5 conference games, which included the one against UCONN with the 5-on-5 scuffle that produced a few 10 minute majors, boosting the per-game PM average. Notice which team is in second place on that list... UCONN. They've played more games than RIT (7), so their average has been watered down closer to the pack.
                                Nonetheless, the PK is still a problem. Just thought I'd point that out.
                                Last edited by TigerFan86-87; 11-24-2010, 01:06 PM.
                                Can't we all just get along?
                                Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Working...
                                X