Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RIT 2010-11: What do Tigers dream of?

Originally posted by RITTechie View Post
    Here's the thing, the goal is $30M, the gift is $1M, but the renovations to the Ritter are budgeted at $3.5M. Wouldn't the university and hockey programs be better served by cancelling the renovations, or scaling them back dramatically and applying that 3.5M to the new arena? Is that in the rumor mill?
    No, in fact they explicitly said (when the renovations were announced) that they were going through with the changes to the Ritter even if a new arena was in the offing. The new space will be ready for next season while a new arena won't be ready for years. And even once the new arena is built, the new space is designed so that it can be used by other teams.

Powers &8^]

Comment

• Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
      No, in fact they explicitly said (when the renovations were announced) that they were going through with the changes to the Ritter even if a new arena was in the offing. The new space will be ready for next season while a new arena won't be ready for years. And even once the new arena is built, the new space is designed so that it can be used by other teams.

Powers &8^]
      Channel 13 just broke the news live outside the Ritter. Looks like we're getting a new arena. I can't wait. Official school announcement is this Friday.
      RIT TIGERS
      2007-08 AHA Pick'em Champion

Comment

RIT president Bill Destler confirmed tonight that plans are under way to build a new hockey arena on the Henrietta campus, and that an unidentified donor will kick off the drive.
        http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...SFRONTCAROUSEL

Powers &8^]

Comment

Here's the thing, the goal is $30M, the gift is $1M, but the renovations to the Ritter are budgeted at $3.5M. Wouldn't the university and hockey programs be better served by cancelling the renovations, or scaling them back dramatically and applying that 3.5M to the new arena? Is that in the rumor mill?
          for the umteenth time.... the renovations to the locker room renovation isnt just for the hockey program. LAX and Soccer specifically will benifit a lot from this. Just because our world revolves around hockey doesn't mean that RIT will leave its other sports out in the cold.
          "I couldn't be more impressed with the student body . They had fun and had many chants but they lacked venom."

Comment

in relation to the new arena, I heard something along the lines that it may be for more than just hockey. That's what i heard though, not sure where I read it, but I did somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
              RIT president Bill Destler confirmed tonight that plans are under way to build a new hockey arena on the Henrietta campus, and that an unidentified donor will kick off the drive.

Powers &8^]
              On campus? Where would they put it?

Originally posted by Zyklon View Post
              in relation to the new arena, I heard something along the lines that it may be for more than just hockey. That's what i heard though, not sure where I read it, but I did somewhere.
              More than just hockey? The only other sport I could imagine them using it for would be basketball and I don't see how that would work. Although I suppose they could use it for events such as concerts or graduation, maybe thats what they were talking about.
              RIT

We made the Frozen Four!!!

Follow the RIT Corner Crew on Facebook

Comment

• Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                What has been a disturbing trend so far this season is how often RIT is getting outshot this year. Even when RIT was loosing games early last year, they were outshooting opponents. The strength of this team was supposed to be the offense, but they can't seem to muster 30 shots per game. The goals are starting to come, but this trend will need to be reversed during league play in order to secure a top 2 spot in the Western pod.
                Good offense starts with good defense to transition the puck. Cliche but seems to be our struggle this year.
                RIT Tigers
                Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions: 2010, 2015, 2016
                Frozen Four Appearances: 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Mania View Post

More than just hockey? The only other sport I could imagine them using it for would be basketball and I don't see how that would work. Although I suppose they could use it for events such as concerts or graduation, maybe thats what they were talking about.
                  Don't forget Badminton, Four Square, Tether Ball and Poker Night!

Build condos on top of it and it will pay for itself
                  RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

The most recent speculation I heard was between U Lot and Gracies, but there are a number of other places it could go. There's a lot of space south of Wiltsie Drive off John Street, north of Ward Road, and between Lomb Drive and Loewenthal Road. And if worse comes to worst, I believe RIT owns land extending south almost to Bailey Road, which has enough room for dozens of ice rinks. =)

Both the track and the field house are very close to where the new rooms will be.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by Loki View Post
                      for the umteenth time.... the renovations to the locker room renovation isnt just for the hockey program. LAX and Soccer specifically will benifit a lot from this. Just because our world revolves around hockey doesn't mean that RIT will leave its other sports out in the cold.
                      Easy there... A portion of that 3.5M is slated to demolition and removal of the old facilities, I would imagine. It could go much further and have more benefit to the hockey community and the other sports and the university as a whole if that 3.5M is reapplied to building new and better facilities in the new arena, is my point. No one is suggesting leaving the other sports out in the cold. Quite the opposite, really. There is also some benefit, I admit to maintaining a second set of facilities, but the relative merits of each approach are debatable.

The plans for the renovations were laid when the general consensus for the new arena was 5-10 years away. Now that the picture is framing up to 1-2 years away, I would think that the renovation would be reevaluated, and perhaps incorporated with the now accelerated plans for the new arena. Maybe not, but if no one is seriously thinking about it, I might be surprised.
                      Last edited by RITTechie; 11-09-2010, 10:16 AM.

Comment

The plans for the renovations were laid when the general consensus for the new arena was 5-10 years away. Now that the picture is framing up to 1-2 years away, I would think that the renovation would be reevaluated, and perhaps incorporated with the now accelerated plans for the new arena.
                        Unless sombody hits the lottery big time and makes a huge donation, fundraising to get to the 50% (15M) level that Destler talked about will probably take 2-3 years, with 2+ years for construction. The Tigers will likely be calling the current Ritter home for another 5+ seasons.

I guessing/hoping that the donation being announced Friday is from the Ritter family so that the new facility will be "Ritter III".
                        John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
                        AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                        AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
                        NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
                        NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
                        NCAA DII - 1983
                        NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

Originally posted by XCTiger View Post
                          Unless sombody hits the lottery big time and makes a huge donation, fundraising to get to the 50% (15M) level that Destler talked about will probably take 2-3 years, with 2+ years for construction. The Tigers will likely be calling the current Ritter home for another 5+ seasons.

I guessing/hoping that the donation being announced Friday is from the Ritter family so that the new facility will be "Ritter III".
                          Well, 15m seems like a ton of money (not that it isn't) but the first mil. is already in. My hunch is about 18 months before the commitments total $15mil. I understand its been considered to sell naming rights in exchange for a significant amount of $$$, but I don't know if the school is going to actually do that or not.

I am sincerely hoping they look at size of the arena on a long term basis, recognizing that the Tigers will not be in AHA forever and that some sort of major reshuffling in terms of conferences, etc. will occur sometime shortly (primarily when Penn St.'s program starts playing). The potential exists for RIT to land in a place where the level of fan interest in the opposition might be fairly significant...so plan accordingly.

I would not be surprised to hear a DI announcement for the women's program at this event or in the near future either....
                          Skate every shift like its your last

Comment

Originally posted by Zyklon View Post
                            In the story on Ch 13, they said it could possibly be used for other events like concerts, the basketball team, ..... Something tells me that was just Ch 13 babbling. What in the world would the RIT basketball team need with a 4-6k seat arena to play in? The only time they've ever even come close to selling out the Clark Gym is when President Destler promised to dye his hair orange. Unless the Clark Gym were about to collapse from age and or disrepair, I can't see the bball team going anywhere. I can kind of imagine concerts, but doesn't the Field House serve that purpose quite well now? I suppose somewhat bigger acts could come to campus. But then again, how many acts popular with college students are all that big?
                            Can't we all just get along?
                            Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                              , but doesn't the Field House serve that purpose quite well now? I suppose somewhat bigger acts could come to campus. But then again, how many acts popular with college students are all that big?
                              The Field house serves that purpose very well. http://www.gotickets.com/venues/ny/g...ield_house.php claims that 8,000 fit into the field house for a concert. I doubt that a new hockey arena set to hold 6k for games would be able to accommodate anything slightly larger than a trivial improvement in seating capacity. The Clark Gym also doubles as a concert hall for smaller acts. RIT does not need any more concert space.

For a concert space you need serious sound deadening. If you've been in the field house you may notice that there almost no echo and minimal reverberation. While the new hockey arena should have some acoustic deadening, I don't think we want it that dry.
                              Last edited by nerdofthunder; 11-09-2010, 02:49 PM.

Comment

A portion of that 3.5M is slated to demolition and removal of the old facilities, I would imagine.
                                Nothing's being demolished, AFAIK, except a couple of walls. The old facilities will remain in place.

Originally posted by WestsideTigersFan View Post
                                I would not be surprised to hear a DI announcement for the women's program at this event or in the near future either....
                                It's no secret that RIT wants to move the women up to D-I. The only thing we're waiting on is for the moratorium to end, so I would expect the announcement next June.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Working...
                                X