Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish hockey '10-11-Everyone bets on a sure thing, but it takes guts not to fold.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Irish hockey '10-11-Everyone bets on a sure thing, but it takes guts not to fold.

I am doing an article on Kevin Lind of Notre Dame. I was fortunate enough to interview him.

I am not able to see any Notre Dame games so if someone could shed some light on how he has been playing for them, what's his style, what are your projections for him in the NHL, etc., it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comment

• Re: Irish hockey '10-11-Everyone bets on a sure thing, but it takes guts not to fold.

Awesome. But narrowing it down will be hard. At least I know who my #1 pick for D will be in the next batch.

(John Schmidt for those of you who just fell off the turnip truck.)
      "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
        Awesome. But narrowing it down will be hard. At least I know who my #1 pick for D will be in the next batch.

(John Schmidt for those of you who just fell off the turnip truck.)
        You got your wish. John Schmidt was the first team defenseman selected for the 1980-1990 decade.
        Cindy

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
        Courage to change the things I can,
        And wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Here is an article I wrote on Kevin Lind. Hope you guys enjoy it.

http://hockeyspy.blogspot.com/2011/01/i-plead-6th.html

Comment

Originally posted by BUmutt View Post
            Here is an article I wrote on Kevin Lind. Hope you guys enjoy it.

http://hockeyspy.blogspot.com/2011/01/i-plead-6th.html
            That's a really nice article. I especially like that you hope he stays in college! He's a good kid and a nice addition to the Notre Dame team.
            Cindy

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
            Courage to change the things I can,
            And wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Mike Johnson is still a conundrum. But then again, so is the entire team.

Yup.

I have an uneasy feeling about this weekend. The team seems to be pi**ed off. Now sometime that's good, but sometimes it's not. With a young team I'm inclined to believe the latter. The coaching staff and the upperclassmen need to do everything possible to keep the team focused going forward. There seems to be a little residual frustration left over from last weekend, combined with some from the series in Columbus last year that ended the season. Hopefully it translates into a realization that it is best to simply play the game that awaits you when the puck drops in another few hours, because you can't win last Saturday's game or last year's series anymore. You can only control the game yet to be played.

Comment

Ugh. That was all goalie. I never once said about a Buckeye goal, "Wow. That was nice." Those were ugly, flookie, backbreaking... I could go on and on. It's not the D. It's not the freshmen. It's not the leadership. It's the goalie. Stay in net. Play with poise. Stop a puck.

I hate losing on Friday on the road because now you gotta win on Saturday to preserve that road split. That's a lot of pressure on a team that's under pressure.

Okay, so now we're out of the top spot. Time to get busy and check your gut.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Ugh. That was all goalie. I never once said about a Buckeye goal, "Wow. That was nice." Those were ugly, flookie, backbreaking... I could go on and on. It's not the D. It's not the freshmen. It's not the leadership. It's the goalie. Stay in net. Play with poise. Stop a puck.

I hate losing on Friday on the road because now you gotta win on Saturday to preserve that road split. That's a lot of pressure on a team that's under pressure.

Okay, so now we're out of the top spot. Time to get busy and check your gut.
                  Have to agree the goalie seemed not in his zone. Most of OSU's early goals came when he was down on the ice to one side of the net leaving the back door wide open. Personally I did not expect the score to be the way it was. Do you know why they disallowed the Irish goal?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                    Do you know why they disallowed the Irish goal?
                    Directed in by a high stick.

Comment

Originally posted by me View Post

I have an uneasy feeling about this weekend. The team seems to be pi**ed off. Now sometime that's good, but sometimes it's not. With a young team I'm inclined to believe the latter.
                      Sometimes it's not...

The biggest issue with this team is they don't yet know how to respond when things don't go their way. Things didn't go their way with goals 13 seconds apart putting them in a hole, and it looked pretty apparent at that point that things weren't going to go their way from that moment on out.

They're good enough to beat Ohio State. They're certainly good enough to not suffer their second straight blowout loss to them. But there are too many things about this team that makes good enough NOT good enough. When the other team has an off night, we look like world beaters. But we're not adept at forcing other good teams to look bad very often. We've had a couple of wins where we overwhelmed the other team, and a couple of games where the goalie flat out stole a game (the tie @ North Dakota and the first UAF game), but great teams grind out more wins than that. Other than the Boston College game, I don't think I've seen this team take the other guy's best shot, and come out on top. The MU win was a good win, coming back from a first period deficit, but I don't think Miami played particularly well that night, and I'm sure Reichard will tell you giving up 5 goals on the last 20 shots he saw meant he certainly didn't give anyone his best shot.

From this point forward, as teams play for their NCAA lives, and meaningful things like first round byes and home ice, we are going to see a lot of teams giving us their best shots. We better figure out a way to take it, give it right back, and finish up as a better team than we started.

Comment

Congrats Irish, it certainly looked like you kicked it up a couple of notches tonight. It seemed to me OSU didn't have enough gas in their tanks tonight, slower skating, lower passing proficiency, and comitting too many dumb penalties.

Comment

in·con·sis·tent (in′kən sis′tənt)

adjective
                          not consistent;
                          specif.,

1. not in agreement, harmony, or accord; incompatible: acts inconsistent with belief
                          2. not uniform; self-contradictory: inconsistent testimony
                          3. not always holding to the same principles or practice; changeable
                          4. not regular or predictable; erratic: the 2010/2011 Notre Dame Hockey team

Related Forms:

inconsistently in′·con·sis′·tently adverb

Comment

Much better. The whole team looked sharper, including the PP. I had a bird's eye view of Ben Ryan's redirect. Nice. Nice crowd, too. Sat in front of ND fans from Boston. While I loathe the hype and noise at these big arenas, they did a nice job promoting the hockey team. I liked the All-Americans flashed on the screen as they were revving up for the intros. Man, does Coach Pooley's son look just like him.

I guess I'm happy with a split on the road. 8 games left. The clock is ticking on regaining the top spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Third Family Member View Post
                              That's a really nice article. I especially like that you hope he stays in college! He's a good kid and a nice addition to the Notre Dame team.
                              Thanks. I really appreciate that. I just feel if Lind stays in college all 4 years he will better himself and his game. Staying in the NCAA does wonders for rounding out the overall game and would benefit him more in the long run when he tries to make the big club in Anaheim.

Comment

Okay, so today you should be able to access the ballots to vote for the all-JACC team. All of my picks made all the decade teams. This is one election I won't have to hold my nose and pull the lever for: Jordan Pearce, David Brown and Morgan Cey get my nod for G, John Schmidt, Bill Nyrop, Jack Brownschidle, Benoit Cotnoir, Brett Lebda and Ian Cole for D and Brian Walsh, Eddie Bumbacco, Greg Meredith, Dave Poulin, Kirt Bjork, Mike McNeill, Jamie Ling, Erik Condra and Mark Van Guilder for forwards.

Edit: I misread Morgan Cey. He only got special mention. I'll have to rethink my 3rd G...
                                Last edited by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.; 01-24-2011, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X