2010-11 Minnesota Gophers -- May, West Pursue Erie March

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010-11 Minnesota Gophers -- May, West Pursue Erie March

The Gophers take to the ice today for the first time with zebras in the house, so we better have a thread. I don't care if another team is headquartered in Madison, Erie, Boston, Ithaca, or Duluth nor how much hype they bring into the season, I wouldn't trade this roster for any other.

What will this season offer? Always hard to guess, but it is safe to say there will be ragged games, most likely starting today. There will crushing defeats and major obstacles blocking the path to lofty goals. But if our young ladies "can fill the unforgiving minute with sixty seconds' worth of distance run", I believe we the fans will be very happy with where they end up.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Re: 2010-11 Minnesota Gophers -- May, West Pursue Erie March

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    The Gophers take to the ice today for the first time with zebras in the house, so we better have a thread.
    Thanks for starting the thread ARM. I'm moving a little slow but I'll see you there.
    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Possible preview last night in Saint Cloud:

Manitoba 1, SCSU 1

The box lists Mendel and Langley as the orange arm banded zebras with Thorsheim and Moran as ARs. I suppose that means we get an early dose of Mendel in this afternoon's game.

I can't wait.

Well, I can wait. I don't have any choice actually. It's a figure of speech, I can't wait.

Rambles on aimlessly . . .
      Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Ah Yes the three wisemen..

Quest for the Natty indeed.

After a number of years with no recruiting north of the border..The Gophers, smarting from loss after loss in March have finally saw the light. 3 Canadians in camp this year but still 3 short of having what it is going to take to get it done. Perhaps the next time your driving your tanks up to International Falls, load em up with some more Canadian talent to bring home. Then and only then, you might get the Natty you covet so dearly...

Comment

Not too much to learn from something like that but still it was nice to watch some hockey.

Kessel is the real deal.

Davis is the real deal.

Gillanders is big and fast, very mobile.

Schoullis back better than ever.

And West!

And Bozek!

Lots to like from other returning players, the likes of Kortum, May, Erickson, Seeler.

They looked scrappy and quick, should be fun to watch.

I am pleased to note that the referees did NOT try to be the show, they let the hockey be hockey.
          Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
            Not too much to learn from something like that but still it was nice to watch some hockey.

Agreed on all points (including the parts which I omitted from the quote just to keep it shorter ).
            I am pleased to note that the referees did NOT try to be the show, they let the hockey be hockey.
            They didn't tick me off too much. I did start hollering at them after a non-call trip that I thought was pretty blatant.

Frosty told the folks who attended the booster club event yesterday that he was going to juggle the lines between periods. Anyone see any combination that appeared especially good? I did like the crisp scoring play where Erickson set up Westy's first goal.

Schleper didn't dress today. Let's be hopeful for her recovery soon.
            Last edited by CrazyDave; 09-26-2010, 08:31 PM.
            Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
            Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
            Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Box score: http://www.collegehockeystats.net/10...s/wminmtb1.s26

GopherSports.com recap: Kessel Nets Hat Trick in 8-0 Win

Comment

One more thought...

I didn't even bother really looking until after the game as the team was coming off of the ice, but no one was wearing a 'C' or an 'A'. Frosty is really waiting until the last minute on this one, isn't he?

Comment

Kessel is the real deal.

Davis is the real deal.

Gillanders is big and fast, very mobile.

Schoullis back better than ever.

And West!

And Bozek!

Lots to like from other returning players, the likes of Kortum, May, Erickson, Seeler.

Agree with all your points...want to emphasize the comment regarding #24...picking up right where she left off and immediately bringing her game to the ice just as it was in the past...a big plus to have her back. Finesse and grit. Looking forward to Miss Terry joining the team...and hopefully a speedy recovery and return for Schlep.
                  Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Couldn't make it today but great to see the Gophers get off to a great start. I thought maybe Manitoba would give them a better game after they tied SCSU yesterday (actually won it in a shootout according to the paper). Maybe the Bison had an off game, or maybe it's more of an indicator of the relative strength of the Gophers and the Huskies.
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

The Gophers will face the Golden Knights next weekend. It will be the fourth and fifth time the Golden Gophers and the Golden Knights have played each other in the past two years. Clarkson visited Ridder Arena three times last year. Minnesota earned a two-game series sweep over the Golden Knights last November and followed with an NCAA Regional win in March to advance to the 2010 NCAA Frozen Four. Game times for next weekend is scheduled for a 7 p.m. start Friday and at 3 p.m. Saturday.
                      Excerpt from the WCHA site recap, the current #s 4 & 7 facing off this weekend. Anybody who watched the games against the Knights last season knows this will be big / early challenge on the road.

I assume Kelly Terry will be added to the mix this weekend?
                      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Recap from the MN Daily:

http://www.mndaily.com/2010/09/26/ke...ibition-opener
                        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                          I assume Kelly Terry will be added to the mix this weekend?
                          I believe that is true. Hopefully #22 is back in action as well.

I don't think we learned a whole lot yesterday; Minnesota had too much of an edge in size, strength, and speed to find out much. That obviously changes quickly, as in our first 11 games, we play twice against #7 and #1 on the road, and #5 at home. Plus, there is that series hosting UND, and they got a few votes. So it is possible, maybe even probable, that the record looks kind of mediocre in 6 weeks.
                          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=205002973
                            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

http://www.mndaily.com/2010/09/30/gi...gophers-opener
                              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Working...
                              X