Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2010-2011 UWS Hockey - Sting, or be Stung...which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010-2011 UWS Hockey - Sting, or be Stung...which one?

So how is the team going to look this year? Any UWSers have the inside scoop for those of us that do not live in the Twin Ports? Can't wait....Go Jackets!
    "Career highlights? I had two - I got an intentional walk from Sandy Koufax and I got out of a rundown against the Mets." - Bob Uecker

Read my blog! gbsportsguy.wordpress.com

Re: 2010-2011 UWS Hockey - Sting, or be Stung...which one?

Originally posted by powerofyellowandblack View Post
    So how is the team going to look this year? Any UWSers have the inside scoop for those of us that do not live in the Twin Ports? Can't wait....Go Jackets!
    Woahhhh back in action!

Comment

Ladies, Gentlemen, Girls, and Boys....Hello and welcome to Sinto S. Wessman Are.........Well, ok, not quite yet.

I imagine it to be another festival of netminders padded up fighting for ice time. The short list:

Dalbec (Bryan)
      O'Hara
      Tinkham
      Strandberg

I'm going to get more information tonight. Good sources too.
      The U.P. should be the 27th star on Old Glory.

Comment

I thought tinkham was off the team

Comment

I heard he was going to get another try. wow, and what a mess down there on the Stout campus. very very sad.

Comment

Originally posted by WalterTheBear
            Tinkham, Strandberg and Waalkens have all done ok I guess, but nothing special out there so far. They have all been splitting ice times, so it is hard to guage what they are like when it comes to being able to handle a full hour out there...

...My bet would be that if Tinkham is allowed to come back to the team he will be the starter for the Jackets.
            I'm just going the "on paper" route here, but I wouldn't count out Strandberg. He logged a lot of minutes for a good but not great NAHL team and played well at the same time. I could of course be completely wrong as usual, but I thought he was a great land when his name popped up on the recruit list -- and of course there are umpteen extraneous variables here I have no knowledge of. Just a thought, though.
            Last edited by XYZ; 10-05-2010, 11:37 PM. Reason: poor pluralization?
            I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

I agree that Strandberg will be given an opportunity to step up, and probably in his freshman year. With the struggles UWS has had in net since Beis graduated, I don't think Strandberg's pedigree/resume should be ignored. Lots of goaltenders have had strong freshman seasons at the D3 level (lots have not, also...)

Comment

Originally posted by WalterTheBear
                The only problem with Staubs starting Strandberg is he is a freshman. Even when Chad was a freshman he was not the number 1 for him. He only played 2 games and then started from then on during his last 3 years only getting a game here and there off.

Now that COULD all change if Tinks does not come back. O'Hara is about as proven as Standberg is, so then Staubs is left up to a coin flip who he should go with. O'Hara, IMO is about as consistant as an old car with a bad carburetor running all the time. He can make some big saves, but then let in goals that a girls U-12 goalie could stop. That and not to mention chumly there is just a flat out head case with an excuse for everything. If Strandberg can show any type of good work habits he can win the job over him in a New York minute.

When you look at it like that, you would almost have to say Staubs has little choice but to bring Tinks back. Yeah his numbers were not outstanding last year, but at least he had numbers for the Jackets. That has to be a better option that chumly and an unproven frosh.

I wouldn't argue with any of that, but was throwing out the possibility Strandberg might just be the best of the three as is.

Can we just start the season now and find out?
                I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

After the first to last debacle of last year , is it possible to have a 500 season? Is a 500 season good enough? Where is this program headed? How many fans will be at Wessman thes year after last year? Lots of questions about Yellowjacket hockey that need to be answered!! List List your concerns or questions that need to be answered.

Comment

Wow, the lack of postings on this thread sort of show an apathy on the part of Jacket fans. Right or wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by jacketman View Post
                      Wow, the lack of postings on this thread sort of show an apathy on the part of Jacket fans. Right or wrong?
                      I don't know. I am certainly not apathetic....I just do not have any info to pass on since I do not live in the Twin Ports. I am excited as hell for the season to begin, however.
                      "Career highlights? I had two - I got an intentional walk from Sandy Koufax and I got out of a rundown against the Mets." - Bob Uecker

Read my blog! gbsportsguy.wordpress.com

Comment

twas quite the weekend @ Hunt Arena for UWS vs. UWRF 8 jacket rookies saw their first playing time during the weekend series. game one was very sloppy for the jackets and the Falcons took advantage easily winning 5-3. UWS extended the sloppy play through saturday's 1st period, but then..... UWS #3 Brad Phenow drove in a low liner frome his defensive position under the leg of Babcook. Phenow skated to the bench lighting the enthusism of his players. From that point on Jacket hockey was clean, efficient, and effective; Including a clear boost in hussle. Other superior scores came from #21 Derek Stauber and#14 Joey Massingham. Massingham's goal was his first wearing black and gold while Stauber's sparkling blue line snipe was the jackets 2nd defensive goal of the night.

Game two's transformation was definitely a welcome sight.

Comment

quickie, went back to page three to find this thread. Not doing to badly. I believe 3 more wins then this time of year last year. Have not seen a game because of wierd schedule, maybe that acounts for a lack of intrest on board. Who votes on national rankings on this board? How in heavens name can St Scholastica get votes with the problems they are having? two wins zero in conference and they are getting votes gimme a break.

Comment

3 weeks later, CSS is in the NCHA basement. No worries jacketman. However, a 2 goal 3rd vs. SNC on Saturday did help slash the red hot Knights for the first time this season. The Saints will undoubtedly have high spirits heading into this weekends over the bridge border battle vs. the Yellowjackets at Sinto S. Wessman Arena. Let's be honest, facing the Saints has had its definite downer moments over the last 5 years (especially in the post-season). But the Jackets skate this year with their usual high rev UWS hussle and are starting to show signs of a matured confidence, usually hard for such a young group.

this past weekend, the Jackets held close leads over SP for the duration of both matchups while remaining assertive up front and on the blue line. Strandberg had a .936 save % on the weekend and never strayed from his comfort zone. #1 has the job right now while I've heard Tinkham is out with a tweaked groin muscle, return unknown.

scoring, although sufficient so far, may become a bigger issue as the season continues. Dalbec (6) and Massingham (14)are freshman who can really make an impact but need that energy boost form the upperclassmen. Regardless, things are much better than last year so let's enjoy the 2nd place life!

Comment

from the deep abyss of page 5, let the Yellowjacket nation once again feel the sensation of light.

let's go! Big match at the Cornerstone Friday. NEED SOME GOALS!!!! Who's gonna get em'?

Strandberg (1) is playing well, so is the defense.

Jackets over Knights 4-2.

Comment

Working...
                              X