This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Ten Hockey Conference Pt II - The Exodus

Any chance the remaining big boys from the WCHA and CCHA try to get together? Off the top of my head, I was thinking North Dakota, Denver, CC, Miami and Notre Dame. Or is there a loyalty factor?

Comment

I heard this is a conspiracy by the Hockey East higher ups to split up the WCHA and become the new premier conference in the nation.
      BC Eagles Hockey East Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
      National Championships: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
      Beanpot Champions: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2004, 2001, 1994, 1983, 1976, 1965, 1964, 1963, 1961, 1959, 1957, 1956, 1954

Bentley Falcons Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        Any chance the remaining big boys from the WCHA and CCHA try to get together? Off the top of my head, I was thinking North Dakota, Denver, CC, Miami and Notre Dame. Or is there a loyalty factor?
        The only question I have in this is, and Ive heard this with some people in the press that the MAC schools, Miami, Bowling Green and Western will stick together as a group through this.
        Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
        1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
        1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
        2006-2007: 15-24-2
        2007-2008: 20-20-4
        2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefan06 View Post
          I heard this is a conspiracy by the Hockey East higher ups to split up the WCHA and become the new premier conference in the nation.
          Wouldn't be the first time the HE ******** bailed on their conference wrecking a ton of great rivalries in the process.
          SCREW BU! AND HARVARD TOO!.... LET'S GO RED!

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            There has been talk that the WCHA would try to have Miami and Notre Dame come to the WCHA. There has also been talk that UND, DU and CC would split from the WCHA, be joined by Miami and Notre Dame in a new conference. In that scenarios there would also be another 1-3 teams that would join, most likely from a group of UNO, UMD and SCSU.

My HOPE for the BTHC is that it doesn't cause any programs to fold, allows UAH to go to the CCHA, promotes the sport so that other Big Ten schools add hockey, and provides room within other conferences for growth from non-Big Ten schools. NCAA Hockey would grow to about 65-70 programs, and increased exposure of the sport.

My WORRY for the BTHC is that it causes several programs to fold, UAH never finds a home and shuts up shop, and the other schools in the Big Ten don't care and don't even think about adding hockey. The remaining schools that are left after the folding of several programs join together in a conference, and we're left with 48-50 programs. The NCAA Tournament goes back to 12 teams, and college hockey gradually becomes less relevant than it already is.

Realistically, either of these scenarios would take dozens of years to come to fruition.
            North Dakota
            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              But, wouldn't the PWR "sort of" equal everything out?

For example: Minnesota and Wisconsin rape Michigan Tech 2-0-0. Minnesota and Wisconsin split their Big10 series 2-2-0. Northern Michigan sweeps Michigan Tech 2-0-0.
              Either earlier in this thread or the first I posted a pairwise analysis that showed that if the BTHC played 20 conference games and 14 cupcakes, they would easily get 4 teams in (5 if somehow PSU or OSU stole the autobid). What remains to be seen is what kind of conference(s) come out of the leftovers of the WCHA/CCHA. If teams are smart, they will organize into conferences of 6-8 teams to maximize autobids as well as NC games. HEA, ECAC and AHA should do likewise. Ideally we would have 8 conferences which would yield 8 autobids and 8 at-large bids. That might prevent the new BTHC from dominating the national tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                Either earlier in this thread or the first I posted a pairwise analysis that showed that if the BTHC played 20 conference games and 14 cupcakes, they would easily get 4 teams in (5 if somehow PSU or OSU stole the autobid). What remains to be seen is what kind of conference(s) come out of the leftovers of the WCHA/CCHA. If teams are smart, they will organize into conferences of 6-8 teams to maximize autobids as well as NC games. HEA, ECAC and AHA should do likewise. Ideally we would have 8 conferences which would yield 8 autobids and 8 at-large bids. That might prevent the new BTHC from dominating the national tournament.
                I just don't see schools like Minnesota and Michigan (and Wisconsin and MSU to an extent) scheduling nothing but cupcakes. They will play games against in-state schools. Saying that, I'm sure the majority of their games will be at home. It wouldn't surprise me if they got 4 teams in the tournament certain years, but I think we'll see the BTHC getting 2-3 bids more often than not.
                North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                  Oh. Hmmm.

Well, the eight conference idea ain't going to happen; as I forsee only the western geographic schools being affected by the Big10.

What I would like to see is, if the conferences stay how they are once the Big10 teams leave, the CCHA to poach some AHA teams like Mercyhurst/Robert Morris, and then have the AHA pick up Huntsville (and get rid of their stupid scholarship limits).

If the conferences do stay how they are, I'm a little pi**ed off at our Athletic Director for not jumping to the WCHA (even though I do understand the reasoning why we didn't).

Is it too late to swap Bemidji for us?

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                  I just don't see schools like Minnesota and Michigan (and Wisconsin and MSU to an extent) scheduling nothing but cupcakes. They will play games against in-state schools. Saying that, I'm sure the majority of their games will be at home. It wouldn't surprise me if they got 4 teams in the tournament certain years, but I think we'll see the BTHC getting 2-3 bids more often than not.
                  Minnesota will likely play the local WCHA schools because they're: close, cheap.
                  Wisconsin will likely play NoDak, CC/DU, some mid-level Michigan schools (because they're close and especially NMU likes to make it convenient for them)
                  Michigan will be their arrogant selves and schedule a dozen "Maize and Blue" scrimmages to fill out their schedule.
                  Michigan State will play the local lower Michigan schools, if they have to complete their schedule.
                  tOSU is the only one I can see actually making trips back to the UP or willing to schedule "lesser" teams from the WCHA/CCHA.
                  Penn State, they'll just play Robert Morris, Mercyhurst, and Niagara to round out their schedule, because they're close.
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Guys watch out for the ACCHC coming to a location near you soon!
                    BC Eagles Hockey East Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
                    National Championships: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
                    Beanpot Champions: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2004, 2001, 1994, 1983, 1976, 1965, 1964, 1963, 1961, 1959, 1957, 1956, 1954

Bentley Falcons Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by css228 View Post
                      Wouldn't be the first time the HE ******** bailed on their conference wrecking a ton of great rivalries in the process.
                      SCREW BU! AND HARVARD TOO!.... LET'S GO RED!
                      Wait, who said anything about Hockey East splitting?

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefan06 View Post
                        Guys watch out for the ACCHC coming to a location near you soon!
                        Rumor has it that Clemson is going to be giving Littlejohn Ice making capabilities over the summer.
                        North Dakota

Comment

I was saying you could have a fixed 4th team like SCSU or UMD (or someone else), OR invite a new team each year. I wasn't very clear on that. There already is a western GLI...it's called the GLI
                          That's the central GLI. The western one would be in St. Paul. The eastern one could be held in NY somewhere.

Comment

There has been talk that the WCHA would try to have Miami and Notre Dame come to the WCHA. There has also been talk that UND, DU and CC would split from the WCHA, be joined by Miami and Notre Dame in a new conference. In that scenarios there would also be another 1-3 teams that would join, most likely from a group of UNO, UMD and SCSU.

My HOPE for the BTHC is that it doesn't cause any programs to fold, allows UAH to go to the CCHA, promotes the sport so that other Big Ten schools add hockey, and provides room within other conferences for growth from non-Big Ten schools. NCAA Hockey would grow to about 65-70 programs, and increased exposure of the sport.

My WORRY for the BTHC is that it causes several programs to fold, UAH never finds a home and shuts up shop, and the other schools in the Big Ten don't care and don't even think about adding hockey. The remaining schools that are left after the folding of several programs join together in a conference, and we're left with 48-50 programs. The NCAA Tournament goes back to 12 teams, and college hockey gradually becomes less relevant than it already is.

Realistically, either of these scenarios would take dozens of years to come to fruition.
                            This is exactly what I am afraid of. BTHC is all about the $$ and to hell with the rest of the world. Even if hockey gives them a revenue bump for a few years, that's good enough for them and ignoring all these smaller schools with top notch programs and strong fan bases.

I almost think it would be hillarious to see PSU or maybe tOSU fold and no other schools willing to add a D1 program leaving the all powerful BTHC with no autobid. Then maybe things could realign back to the way they are now except UAH finds a home. I know I shouldn't be rooting for programs to fold, and I'm not because I don't want to see that happen. Just saying what if.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                              This is exactly what I am afraid of. BTHC is all about the $$ and to hell with the rest of the world. Even if hockey gives them a revenue bump for a few years, that's good enough for them and ignoring all these smaller schools with top notch programs and strong fan bases.

I almost think it would be hillarious to see PSU or maybe tOSU fold and no other schools willing to add a D1 program leaving the all powerful BTHC with no autobid. Then maybe things could realign back to the way they are now except UAH finds a home. I know I shouldn't be rooting for programs to fold, and I'm not because I don't want to see that happen. Just saying what if.
                              What possible scenario could cause that to happen?

I would guess the tOSU's athletic department budget exceeds all of Atlantic Hockey's combined. They will not fold and if anything, expect a couple of other B12 schools to add hockey within the next 10 years.

Having to partially subsidize college hockey is probably not much of an issue at tOSU and Penn State.

Comment

Can someone explain when big ten network is going to show the hockey games? College hockey is played Friday and Saturday nights. It would be competing with college football and basketball. More people watch those two sports, so how are the hockey games going to generate this supposed windfall that will make it worthwhile for these programs to leave the wcha and ccha?
                                Originally posted by SJHovey
                                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                                Originally posted by Brenthoven
                                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Working...
                                X