X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Ten Hockey Conference Pt II - The Exodus

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
    How many autobids? And what would the three other divisions look like? And how would non-divisional play work?
    I love the question but how the hell would he know, that would be something they work on when they get there. I love how worked up everyone on this site is getting. The conference of doom is either going to happen or not, anything we say, do or think isnt going to change anything.
    Originally posted by Mankato student
    Are their innings or quarters in this sport?
    "Bush and Paulson and Greenspan and their clique are “free marketeers” in the same way that Olive Garden is an Italian restaurant."
    -- Peter Klein

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
      Exactly.

Denver, North Dakota, Notre Dame and Miami stand to lose most of their best recruits to OSU and PSU, as well as the other Big 10 Programs. That's why I think it's imperative that these schools get together either in a revamped WCHA or as their own conference to offset Big 10 dominance.
      Now we have someone that I fully respect trying to dissect the leagues once again, taking care of their team and the heck with other teams. Kinda like the bthc mentality, just one level below. So what do the 'other' schools do (Lake State, Bemidji, Ferris, Western Michigan, UNO, etc) do????

Comment

Hansoni,
        Puck Swami's idea for a BHHC to counter the BTHC is full on only concerned about those teams he believe would fit into the BHHC. Unlike the BTHC moguls who have expressed an ongoing concern for the impact(s) of the BTHC, this BHHC effort doesn't.

That's why we're calling it the BHHC (ButtHurt Hockey Conference). It's all about spite and trying to "get theirs" in retaliation for the BTHC. It's sort of like saying, "hey we told you the BTHC would destroy the college hockey world but since you didn't listen to us we're forming the BHHC and tahell with the consequences."

They're scared of becoming the "mid-majors" of the D1 hockey world without realizing that they already are the "mid-majors" of D1 hockey.

Ongoing success in Division 1 hockey (all college sports actually) is partially predicated on a pre-weighted system. The biggest names attract the best recruits. The differential between the heavily weighted programs (BTHC schools) and the BHHC schools may increase slightly. It may not. There are arguments that can be made either way.

I do however wish those "mid-major" schools the utmost luck with their effort. It will ultimately help create a situation where geographically isolated schools like UAA and UAF can offer some pretty nice incentives for potential members in their new conference. I already know the Big Ten schools love to come to Alaska to earn a couple of extra home games that are exempt from the 34 game limit. With 14 non-conference games to fill their schedule, I'm quite sure the new UAA/UAF organized conference already has more to offer to Swami's imagined "mid-majors" that a DU led BHHC doesn't. Like um ... "Join the NWHC and you not only get extra home games but we'll ensure you get games against BTHC schools on national TV."

BHHC advocates need to remember they won't be the only fledgling league trying to get new members. What exactly do they have to offer in terms of incentive to add members? Um ... "we all won a bunch of national championships and frozen four appearances"? Yeah ok.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
          BHHC advocates need to remember they won't be the only fledgling league trying to get new members. What exactly do they have to offer in terms of incentive to add members? Um ... "we all won a bunch of national championships and frozen four appearances"? Yeah ok.
          Playing us won't destroy your PWR.
          Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
          when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
          Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by hanasoni View Post
            Now we have someone that I fully respect trying to dissect the leagues once again, taking care of their team and the heck with other teams. Kinda like the bthc mentality, just one level below. So what do the 'other' schools do (Lake State, Bemidji, Ferris, Western Michigan, UNO, etc) do????
            Disband.

Comment

Did anyone else catch the Red Berenson clip during the game, where he mentioned that if a bunch of schools were going to close up their hockey programs because of the exodus, Michigan would be less likely to join a Big 10. I'm paraphrasing, but that was the jist of it.

Michigan has a whole boatload of issues with their football program and this might not be the best timing for a lateral revenue move in hockey.

The other issue that appears to be raising its head is Minnesota seems to be having attendance issues for the first time ever. It may just turn out that the BTHC isn't going to be the massive revenue windfall that everyone was hoping for. For instance, if long time season ticket holders in Minnesota and Wisconsin decide to give up their tickets because of the prices and the BTHC isn't enough of a carrot to keep them around.

BTW. I'm totally in favor of a 24 team conference if that's what it takes to keep the big boys around. Having Michigan & Michigan State come into your barn once every four years would be good for college hockey. But the problem is that if you play every team in your cluster four times in only leaves four series against other teams in the conference.

BTHC
              PSU
              OSU
              MN
              MI
              WI
              MSU

MIHC
              LSSU
              MTU
              WMU
              UNM
              FSU
              AK

MMHC
              ND
              MIA
              BG
              UND
              DU
              CC

MNHC
              UMD
              UNO
              BSU
              SCSU
              MSU-M
              UAA
              Last edited by dggoddard; 11-29-2010, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Rochester Institute of Technology!!!

big 10!
                Last edited by Rochester; 11-29-2010, 01:15 PM.
                R I T HOCKEY
                Frozen Four
                Elite Eight
                NCAA Tournament
                2010-2015-2016
                RIP-Mikita Dan Barrows

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                  Um ... "we all won a bunch of national championships and frozen four appearances"? Yeah ok.
                  I dunno, that's pretty good.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                    Did anyone else catch the Red Berenson clip during the game, where he mentioned that if a bunch of schools were going to close up their hockey programs because of the exodus, Michigan would be less likely to join a Big 10. I'm paraphrasing, but that was the jist of it.
                    I saw the interview and I took it as HE... not Michigan, would then think it is probably not so good for college hockey

Comment

Michigan has a whole boatload of issues with their football program and this might not be the best timing for a lateral revenue move in hockey.
                      Berenson knows what is best for the CCHA, college hockey etc. and it isn't the BTHC. How much leverage he'll have is the question. I also don't think that the football program woes are related. Michigan's hockey program is self funded and probably would continue to be. So far the RR experiment hasn't hurt football attendance.

The other issue that appears to be raising its head is Minnesota seems to be having attendance issues for the first time ever. It may just turn out that the BTHC isn't going to be the massive revenue windfall that everyone was hoping for. For instance, if long time season ticket holders in Minnesota and Wisconsin decide to give up their tickets because of the prices and the BTHC isn't enough of a carrot to keep them around.
                      This is a question for teams that have those larger arenas. Ohio State has an issue with attendance regardless of whether Michigan or another big name rolls in.
                      Michigan doesn't sell out Yost every night either, although it is better to have 500 vacant seats versus 2-3000. Some of it is the attractiveness of the product, some the attractiveness of the opponent. I doubt that the BTHC will help.

Comment

The main benefit of the BTHC happens to be potential new schools joining the icebox. Otherwise, why start up a team without a potential conference to play in?
                        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by hanasoni View Post
                          What will they do? Once all the small schools leave their will only be about 30 teams left in college hockey and it will suck ***!
                          I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Minnesota is going to confront this issue head on no matter what:

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=204974469
                            MIHC
                            LSSU
                            MTU
                            WMU
                            UNM
                            FSU
                            AK
                            It's NMU, dope.
                            Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                            B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                            CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                            ECAC:
                            HEA: UMass
                            NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                            Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

BTW. I'm totally in favor of a 24 team conference if that's what it takes to keep the big boys around. Having Michigan & Michigan State come into your barn once every four years would be good for college hockey. But the problem is that if you play every team in your cluster four times in only leaves four series against other teams in the conference.

BTHC
                              PSU
                              OSU
                              MN
                              MI
                              WI
                              MSU

MIHC
                              LSSU
                              MTU
                              WMU
                              UNM
                              FSU
                              AK

MMHC
                              ND
                              MIA
                              BG
                              UND
                              DU
                              CC

MNHC
                              UMD
                              UNO
                              BSU
                              SCSU
                              MSU-M
                              UAA
                              Now why should the money rich DU,CC and ND not get a alaska school and the smaller less funded programs should pay to fly up there?
                              I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Minnesota fans, for the most part (and this is purely anecdotal so YMMV), don't care about OSU, PSU, or Michigan State. They care about UND, UMD, SCSU, and UW (among others). Hell, at the Michigan game this weekend, the buzz was barely there. It was NOTHING like a game against the aforementioned WCHA opponents. This is supposedly our biggest non-conference opponent and it was bereft of the atmosphere a WCHA game brings.

While I think most Minnesotans are resigned to the fact that the BTHC is somewhat of an inevitability, this isn't going to help attendance one iota. Whether it hurts it is up for debate. I tend to lean more to the side that believes this will only hurt attendance. Adding to that, Minnesota's plan to further squeeze the season ticket holders and I see major problems for this school. Winning will solve most of them of course, but then again, maybe it won't.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X