Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alaska Nanooks, 2010-11 Season Thread – Global disruption...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska Nanooks, 2010-11 Season Thread – Global disruption...

There is disruption in the force.

First off, it is no longer global warming, it is global climate disruption. And everyone knows the arctic is the bellwether for climate change global disruption.

Next, Alaskans pretty much had undisputable claim to the number one bimbo politician. Now some witch is usurping that distinction.

And finally, it was fairly well recognized that last season's Nanook intro video foretold the most destructive force imaginable, wrecking havoc on member CCHA schools. Now we have the threat of the BigTen conference. The video pales in comparison.

So...before all this negative disruption comes to pass, the Nooks need to make some noise in the conference. We don't just want to disrupt the old guard, we want to overpower it. And we want to see Christine go mano-a-mano with Sarah in the Alaskan wild (no witchcraft allowed). And we want to be an associate member of the BigTen. OK. We'll take two out of three.

Anyway, time to get this season started.

Official practices started, Monday, September 20th
    Kickoff Banquet, Friday, September 24.
    Blue/Gold Scrimmage, Food, Fun, & Games, Saturday, September 25th.
    Alaska vs. Windsor, Thursday, September 30th
    Alaska vs. Air Force, Friday, October 8th – Kendall Classic
    Alaska vs. North Dakota, Saturday, October 9th – Kendall Classic
    Alaska vs. Union, Friday, October 15th – Alaska Goal Rush
    Alaska vs. Colorado College, October 16th – Alaska Goal Rush

Go Nooks!

Re: Alaska Nanooks, 2010-11 Season Thread – Global disruption...

Let's hope the boys are ready because the early schedule of non conference games is tough. I'm hoping our scoring will improve and be spread out more evenly this year and Greenie better be on his game because Air Force has been a high scoring team the past few years and North Dakota will be a possible final four team. Oct 8th can't come soon enough, day after the PFD I can afford tickets.

Comment

Well, I might as well start tossing my 2 pucks worth here. Been following the Nooks and going to the games from Whence we would say "What? Voros again?"
      as a Nook skates towards the Sin Bin. I'm super impressed with Coach Ferguson, along with Lance and Brian. I visited with a pro goalie who worked out with team players over the summer and the team when they came on campus, and he said that this season could be something special. and that this team has a lot of talent. If the "D" is solid, and Greenham gets stingy, This is going to fun to watch!!!

Comment

Super excited for this season...after last seasons finale, I think there is gonna be a sense of unfinished business in the NCAA's and the Nooks are gonna want back to prove they should have gone all the way.

Excited to see the Carlson Center with the new boards and glass that we've heard about. Can anyone actually confirm or deny this yet? Seen the new glass at all?

Comment

Welcome to the board fbks712, or at least welcome to the posting ranks. I agree that the next couple of years should be fun. I watched a little of practice tonight and it was pretty high energy and fast paced. But practice is only practice. Do you plan on making it down to Anchorage for the Kendall games?

UAFIceAngel - I swung by the Carlson a week or so ago and they were just taking the new boards/glass down...said they wouldn't go back up until the 6th or so.

For those interested, Sova is the Nooks player in the INCH A-Z series.

Go Nooks!

Comment

I heard the new glass looks amazing.
            The Alaska Airlines Governors cup is where it belongs.

Comment

Speaking of disruption ... I'm here.

My reasons for such are primarily related to the inevitable BTHC. For UAA and UAF fans there is a tremendous positive opportunity that presents itself.

I believe that UAA and UAF need to work closely together though in order to make it happen.

At some point, there may actually be some conference realignment with both the WCHA and the CCHA. When and if such an opportunity arises, UAA and UAF need to position themselves and use the leverage they both have (the exemption) to get into and/or form a conference together.

The mutual interests here outweigh the rivalry. UAA and UAF can (and should) work together to get onto a level playing field that both our conferences affiliations have not allowed.

The potential revenue that playing either of us presents to the now so-called new "mid-majors" is likely to be something that those schools (DU, CC, UND, UMD, SCSU, NMU, Notre Dame and Miami) are going to be very interested in going forward to replace whatever revenue they perceive they'll lose from the Big Ten schools bolting.

UAA and UAF are uniquely positioned to turn a BTHC exodus into something valuable for them. It may finally be possible for this in-state rivalry to be fully realized within it's own conference.

Forrest Karr and Steve Cobb best be on top of this and should both welcome the opportunity that a BTHC presents.

Comment

I don't pretend to know the underlying dynamics that drive the BigTen engine (or any conference for that matter).

Large crowds show up for conference leaders, not just BigTen schools. I'm sure Miami and ND draw just as well. But bandwagon fans love to win. If we could consistently contend for a conference title our crowds would grow regardless who is in the conference (to some degree).

We have no heated rivalries other than UAA. A couple seasons after UM, MSU, and OSU depart, we'll be content as long as we are not on the outside looking in on an "anti-BigTen" conference. If we win consistently we will still draw a crowd. Hey, there is nothing else to do here.

Fairbanks does not appeal to a lot big city boys. But we are a very good fit for many talented hard working Canadian kids. We get who we get and I don't think a BigTen conference changes that. Very few kids will be flipping a coin between Penn State and UAF.

Depending on how many teams and non-conference games we end up with, our schedule could actually look better. The ability of BigTen schools to generate revenue at two additional home games should make our exemptions even more appealing. BigTen schools could be regular participants in our respective tourneys. More revenue and more exposure for our programs after we kick their butts.

But you are right. Mr. Carr and Mr. Cobb better be on their game. We can not be on the outside looking in on an "anti-BigTen" conference.
                Last edited by mmf; 09-24-2010, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                  If we could consistently contend for a conference title our crowds would grow regardless who is in the conference (to some degree).
                  Yes. I think this is the key dynamic that is common to both programs. In the worst case scenario we could end up in conference with Mankato, Michigan Tech, Western Mich, Ferris, BGSU and um ... Buttmidji (or frankly any combination of other schools) and we'll both still be able to attract other "more elite" schools for our tournament via the exemption.

However, a best case scenario might mean some sort of truly "western" conference made up of UAA, UAF, DU, CC, UND, NMU and a couple of others (UNO, SCSU etc) to get to 8 teams (six is too few).

In either case, it may be possible for both UAA and UAF to host two tournaments a year and attract plenty of the Big Ten schools since they'll want that those exempt games and will be needing a lot of non-conference games to fill out their schedule.

I've said for a long time that a BTHC could actually benefit UAA and UAF. So yeah ... Steve and Forrest best be putting their heads together and start plotting.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome "mmf". Not sure if I'll make it to the Kendall, but hope to make it down. I agree with comments that the BTHC will re-arrange the rest of the conferences, and UAA and UAF would benifit hugely by being in the same conference, especially with the finances of bringing up the teams from down south.

FYI Mondays on 970 KFBX Fairbanks, "Hockey Talk" airs live 8-830 am and repeats 12-1230pm, then the shows go into the podcast folder at 970kfb*****. This monday it's "Meet the Nooks Pt 2" and Joe Sova and Nik Yaremchuk will be on. Aaron Gens and Scott Greenham were on a couple weeks ago. GO NOOKS!

Comment

Make that Re-airing of Hockey Talk from 1230-1pm, not 12-1230pm....

Comment

I didn't make it to last night's kick-off banquet, but congratuations to the 2010-11 Captains...
                        - Captain, senior Kevin Petovello
                        - Assistant Captain, senior Derek Klassen
                        - Assistant Captain, senior Bryant Molle

Excellent choices.
                        Read more: Fairbanks Daily News-Miner

Hope to see lots of Nook fans at tonight's Blue/Gold scrimmage - 5:00 at the Patty Rink.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                          I didn't make it to last night's kick-off banquet, but congratuations to the 2010-11 Captains...
                          - Captain, senior Kevin Petovello
                          - Assistant Captain, senior Derek Klassen
                          - Assistant Captain, senior Bryant Molle

Excellent choices.
                          Read more: Fairbanks Daily News-Miner

Hope to see lots of Nook fans at tonight's Blue/Gold scrimmage - 5:00 at the Patty Rink.

Go Nooks!
                          wish i could be at blue/gold but im in NY for another month or so. its ok tho cause I get to see the Hawks play the Sabres in 2 weeks or so, i think that'll make up for me missing blue/gold :-D

Comment

Re the BTHC, if it does come to pass, my personal opinion is that the remnants of the CCHA and WCHA will merge into one conference (and maybe take UAH with us). I don't think the smaller schools can survive long-term without a large conference, and there's no point in having two new CHA's on our hands. And really, a conference with the Alaska schools, UND, DU, UNO, NMU, et al would be pretty strong.

I do agree with the UAA fan that our two schools need to work together to ensure the long-term viability of Nanook and Seawolf hockey. Changes are coming upwards college hockey, and the University of Alaska as a whole is stronger collectively than UAF or UAA individually.

In the meantime, GO NOOKS. Let's get this thing started. I'm stoked.
                            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

A BIG thanks to the Face-Off Club for sponsoring the Blue/Gold Game. Food, Fun, and Hockey. It's a good way to start the season.

It's hard to take away much from an intra-squad scrimmage, but it was entertaining. A little bit of good, bad, and ugly. Gold (wearing white ?) edged Blue 3-2. Gold got two goals by Sova and one from Granberg. Blue got goals from Beck and Taranto.

At least with an intra-squad scrimmage, everyone gets lots of ice time...
                              *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2010-11-Other-Games-Events/BlueGold-Game-Sept-25-2010/20100925-41/1022294162_Kuhwv-L.jpg******

Granberg scored the first goal of the game, and almost had another one here...
                              *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2010-11-Other-Games-Events/BlueGold-Game-Sept-25-2010/20100925-87/1022295554_vE9pp-L.jpg******

Recruit Colton Beck (8) tied it up late in the first with a nice shot...
                              *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2010-11-Other-Games-Events/BlueGold-Game-Sept-25-2010/20100925-100/1022296226_XAykJ-L.jpg******

Recruit Cody Kunyk (25) had his chances...
                              *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2010-11-Other-Games-Events/BlueGold-Game-Sept-25-2010/20100925-58/1022294307_iHQCy-L.jpg******

Recruit Erik Slemp (10) is a speedy forward who edged Ron Meyers in the fastest skater contest...
                              *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2010-11-Other-Games-Events/BlueGold-Game-Sept-25-2010/20100925-95/1022384196_A64Xk-L.jpg******

Recruit Michael Quinn (8), at 6' 2" and 180 lbs., joins the Nook d-corp...
                              *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2010-11-Other-Games-Events/BlueGold-Game-Sept-25-2010/20100925-89/1022295902_v26Hs-L.jpg******

Recruit Adam Henderson (28), at 6'2" 200lbs, adds size to our forward lineup.
                              *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2010-11-Other-Games-Events/BlueGold-Game-Sept-25-2010/20100925-63/1022294474_3cGdA-L.jpg******

Welcome back everyone and a warm welcome to all the new recruits.
                              Go Nooks!

Comment

Working...
                              X