Rules Changes for 2010-11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules Changes for 2010-11

The CCHA has created a website to highlight the rules changes that were adopted for the 2010-11 season.

http://www.ccha.com/2010-11_rules_primer.aspx

Some important rule changes will be put in place for the 2010-11 season. Here are some informational pieces to help you the fan learn more about these rules.

NCAA Rules Video

New Rules

NCAA Rules Book
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Re: Rules Changes for 2010-11

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    The CCHA has created a website to highlight the rules changes that were adopted for the 2010-11 season.

http://www.ccha.com/2010-11_rules_primer.aspx
    The "shorthanded team not allowed to ice the puck" rule is still pretty absurd. I pray that it dies a painful death.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      The "shorthanded team not allowed to ice the puck" rule is still pretty absurd. I pray that it dies a painful death.
      Didn't that rule get thrown out? Did the CCHA really adopt that for this year? I was certain I read that the WCHA considered it and threw it out?
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        Didn't that rule get thrown out? Did the CCHA really adopt that for this year? I was certain I read that the WCHA considered it and threw it out?
        Reading isn't apparently required at Big Ten Institutions.

From the rules notes:
        Shorthanded team not allowed to ice the puck 6-27-b, HR-74In exhibition games ONLY, enforce icing at all times of the game.This change would remove a contradiction in the rules that allows a team that has violated the rules in one area to violate another rule in order to compensate for being shorthanded. This would provide more scoring opportunities for the power play team and could encourage more skilled play from the defensive team.
        It's for use only in exhibition games. Same thing the CCHA did when it tried the same rule change six years ago.
        Last edited by aparch; 09-21-2010, 03:48 PM.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Hmmm didn't see this one....

3 Game Misconducts in a season = a game off.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
            Reading isn't apparently required at Big Ten Institutions.

Even if it is only used in exhibition matches, it's not in any way dead.

"Exhibition only" means that its being tested out. Like when other leagues have used pre-season games as a trial for new rules (NHL doing shootouts after every preseason game in the fall of 2005, for instance).

If the rule were truly dead, then why even bother having it in exhibition games?
            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I don't even understand the desire to "try out" a rule like that. {shrug}
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

It's because someone on the rules commitee liked it a lot and tried to force it in, all the coaches said no, but the soft spot for the rule was too large to give it up, so they pushed it to exhibition matches. There's a part of me that hopes it gets booed every single time it is called, regardless of against which team it is called.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  It's because someone on the rules commitee liked it a lot and tried to force it in, all the coaches said no, but the soft spot for the rule was too large to give it up, so they pushed it to exhibition matches. There's a part of me that hopes it gets booed every single time it is called, regardless of against which team it is called.
                  Look at the way the explanation of the rule is written in that post below.

This change would remove a contradiction in the rules that allows a team that has violated the rules in one area to violate another rule in order to compensate for being shorthanded. This would provide more scoring opportunities for the power play team and could encourage more skilled play from the defensive team.
                  No self respecting hockey fan would ever write trash like that.

Comment

The CCHA tried it a few years ago (I want to say around 2004 or 2005), with the same "experimental, for exhibition only" use. It was confusing and pointless, and from what I remember the coaches hated it.

I don't know why it was tried to be forced through again earlier this summer.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Did I also see that half-shields are now legal in Men's play?
                      "Those who think they know it all usually know less than those who listen and learn."

Comment

Originally posted by Nevergoodenough View Post
                        Did I also see that half-shields are now legal in Men's play?
                        No. They are going to investigate the possible implementation of it in the future, but full facial protection is the only option at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                          No. They are going to investigate the possible implementation of it in the future, but full facial protection is the only option at this time.
                          That's one of the worst proposed rules. (along with icing the puck on the pk). With limited rosters that pros and jr hockey don't have to worry as much about having players out with facial injuries could really put a dent in some teams depth charts. Also increased medical expenses could be bad for smaller programs and at schools with money issues.

Also fights could increase with the easier removal of helmets while wearing the shield. And the fact that getting a highstick to the face with the half shield is A LOT more annoying than a smack on the cage you don't even feel.

It’s ironic hockey and football have both really increased prevention of concussions. Hockey in particular has focused on hits from behind, etc… but the NCAA wants to reduce facial protection.

Comment

I have found that the less facial protection there is, the less often people skate around with their sticks six feet in the air. I'd be much more worried about slappers from the point and being a defenseman.
                            the state of hockey is good

Comment

Even if it is only used in exhibition matches, it's not in any way dead.

"Exhibition only" means that its being tested out. Like when other leagues have used pre-season games as a trial for new rules (NHL doing shootouts after every preseason game in the fall of 2005, for instance).

If the rule were truly dead, then why even bother having it in exhibition games?
                              The only reason it is being used in exhibition games is to save face. The rule will never be put in place it is the most absurd thing ever. It was propossed and pushed by people who have very little hockey knowledge. The NCAA rules committe got pressured into propossing it and when every single NCAA coach raised holy hell they realized it had no chance of working. This is the problem when presidents and NCAA officials who think they know more than they do get involved.

It makes ZERO sense to try this in exhibition games when you won't use it in regular season games, its pitiful to protect a powerfull person because they are an idiot....

Sorry for the rant, but it is ridiculous that this ever came up.

However I am on board with half shields. These kids play with half shields in juniors and then half to come back to full cages. You don't see a lot of bad injuries often in the junior ranks with half shields. I think it is smart that they are taking their time and studying it but they use them before and after the college game, might as well allow it in the college game.
                              Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Working...
                              X