Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Hockey 101: 1. What is the role of a captain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Hockey 101: 1. What is the role of a captain?

I've never played hockey, and there's a bunch of stuff I don't know. For example, what is the role of a captain? Discuss.
    Go Falcons!

Re: College Hockey 101: 1. What is the role of a captain?

Originally posted by spiehler View Post
    I've never played hockey, and there's a bunch of stuff I don't know. For example, what is the role of a captain? Discuss.
    Many things. First of all, team leader, both on and off the ice. He's the guy you look to create a spark when things on the ice aren't going well.

Some captains lead by talking, some by example. The Captain is almost always a senior, but of course there are exceptions to that. Captains are typically voted on by the rest of team, so there is an inherent amount of respect involved. I don't know how often a Coach would select a captain.

Captains also have specific on-ice duties. The one that pops into my head at this time is that the guy wearing the "C" and "A" are the ones who generally talk to the ref if they have an issue with a call, or an ongoing problem on the ice.

IIRC, only coaches and catpains may call time, but that may be wrong it may just be coaches . . .

Hope this helps a little. Perhaps somebody with more than just pick-up hockey experience can enlighten you even more.
    I haven't been on here in a year...
    Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
      Captains also have specific on-ice duties. The one that pops into my head at this time is that the guy wearing the "C" and "A" are the ones who generally talk to the ref if they have an issue with a call, or an ongoing problem on the ice.
      Technically, guys wearing C's or A's are the only players allowed to speak with the officials.

Now, that's not always the case in practice - other players talk to officials all the time after a whistle - but in the case of an official relaying a message to the coaches on the bench, it's always a C or an A that delivers the message.
      "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
        Technically, guys wearing C's or A's are the only players allowed to speak with the officials.

Now, that's not always the case in practice - other players talk to officials all the time after a whistle - but in the case of an official relaying a message to the coaches on the bench, it's always a C or an A that delivers the message.
        I thought as much, but didn't want to commit to them being the only ones allowed to talk.
        I haven't been on here in a year...
        Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by spiehler View Post
          Read.

From the 2011-2012 Ice Hockey Rules.

Captain of Team
          SECTION 2. a. One game captain shall be appointed by each team, and
          shall be the only player to have the privilege of discussing with the
          referee any questions relating to interpretation of rules that may arise
          during the progress of a game. The captain should wear the letter
          “C,’’ approximately 3 inches in height and in contrasting color, in a
          conspicuous position on the front of the jersey.
          If the captain is not available because of injury or an imposed penalty,
          another player may be designated to act as captain.
          b. The captain may not dispute a judgment decision of the referee.
          Rule 2 / Teams HR-23
          PENALTY—Misconduct. For further violation, game misconduct.
          c. The referee and official scorer shall be advised before the start of each
          game of the name of the captain of the team and the designated alternate.
          d. A goalkeeper shall not be entitled to exercise the privileges of captain.
          e. The captain of each team shall meet with the referee before the start of
          each game (see Rule 8).
          f. During an altercation, the captain may not exercise his or her privileges
          until the referee has entered the referees’ crease.

Sean
          Last edited by Sean Pickett; 09-21-2010, 10:16 AM.
          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
          BU Hockey highlights and extras
          NCAA Hockey Financials
          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Make sure none of the other players are arrested. Some Captains are better at this than others.

http://letsgodu.blogspot.com/search/label/Bad%20Boyz

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
              f. During an altercation, the captain may not exercise
              I guess that explains why I have never seen a captain doing pushups during a fight.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                I guess that explains why I have never seen a captain doing pushups during a fight.
                Fixed it (but it's not as funny).

Sean
                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                NCAA Hockey Financials
                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                  Make sure none of the other players are arrested. Some Captains are better at this than others.

http://letsgodu.blogspot.com/search/label/Bad%20Boyz
                  Why are you wasting time posting here when you should be working on a blog entry for the newest member of the Bad Boyz Fraternity?
                  Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                  when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                  Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                    Why are you wasting time posting here when you should be working on a blog entry for the newest member of the Bad Boyz Fraternity?
                    Slow offseason. After half the Notre Dame team got arrested I think a bunch of the Captains jumped into action.

Comment

The captain's main duty is to serve as the lightning rod for criticism from a classless and senile coach who should have retired long ago.
                      1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2018

Boston College Hockey: It's just that we're better than you.

B Who? Oh, you mean "Sux 2 B.U."

Comment

drink beer and sleep with lots of woman.......
                        I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                          a. One game captain shall be appointed by each team...

How does this work out with teams like Wisconsin, who had three captains last season (Street, Geoffrion, McDonagh)? Do they all get to share the on-ice responsibilities (i.e. talking to the refs)? Anyone know how UW got around the word "one" in that sentence?
                          RPI '08, UW '09. Let's go RED!

Comment

Thanks. I have more questions, and you've already touched on some of them.

How are captains chosen?

What is the significance of a team's having a single C, a C and two A's, or three C's? In the last ten seasons, my team has had those combinations, and maybe more. Edit: And what GoDanGo asked.
                            Last edited by spiehler; 09-21-2010, 08:26 PM. Reason: noticed a relevant post
                            Go Falcons!

Comment

Originally posted by GoDanGo View Post
                              How does this work out with teams like Wisconsin, who had three captains last season (Street, Geoffrion, McDonagh)? Do they all get to share the on-ice responsibilities (i.e. talking to the refs)? Anyone know how UW got around the word "one" in that sentence?
                              RPI had also done the same thing with co-captains during Fridgen's days. I would imagine what happened is that the coach would pick one of them to be the "designated captain" for the evening (perhaps they'd alternate from game to game). He would meet in the crease at the end of warm-ups. The other one would then act for the evening as the alternate, although each would wear the "C". The next time you are watching Wisconsin play, take a look at the end of warmups and see if only one or all three of the captains speak with the head referee.

Comment

Working...
                              X