Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Hockey 101: 1. What is the role of a captain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: College Hockey 101: 1. What is the role of a captain?

Originally posted by spiehler View Post
    Thanks. I have more questions, and you've already touched on some of them.

How are captains chosen?

What is the significance of a team's having a single C, a C and two A's, or three C's? In the last ten seasons, my team has had those combinations, and maybe more. Edit: And what GoDanGo asked.
    Captains are ultimately chosen by the coach, but input will come from the players in the form of by whom they are the most motivated. As for the usage of multiple captains or alternates, I would think that's the coach's preference. Maybe he/she wants multiple people to exert that leadership from game to game, and maybe he/she only wants one with a couple of backups. However, according to rule as I said previously, only one may be designated for a particular game.

Comment

Traditionally there is one captain with the "C", and two or three alternate captains with the "A" on their jersey. This trend to have multiple players with a "C" seems all wrong to me - as a leadership model you only want one captain for your ship. The multiple C's to me reeks of the kid glove handling of this Millennial generation: everyone's special so the alternate captains should have a "C" too! As you can gather, I think it is a mistake. Similarly, but it doesn't bother me as much, I've seen teams where as many as five players are wearing an "A" for alternate captain to recognize their leadership (and the fact they are veteran players).

As for choosing a captain, it varies by team. For example, at UNB in the CIS, the coach chooses the captain (since he sees that player as his right hand man in the dressing room) and the players vote on the alternate captains.
      Last edited by FreddyFoyle; 09-22-2010, 07:24 AM. Reason: Fix typo
      "The great aim of education is not knowledge, but action." -- Herbert Spencer

Comment

Originally posted by FreddyFoyle View Post
        This trend to have multiple players with a "C" seems all wrong to me - as a leadership model you only want one captain for your ship.
        Agreed. I've never seen more than one UNH player with a "C", and typically it's 2 "A"s at most. One year, they had a bunch of Assistant Captains, but never more than one Captain.
        I haven't been on here in a year...
        Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
          Agreed. I've never seen more than one UNH player with a "C", and typically it's 2 "A"s at most. One year, they had a bunch of Assistant Captains, but never more than one Captain.
          They've had co-captains the last two seasons. Butler and Lelanc last year, Collins and Charlebois (for the first half) the year before.
          Last edited by RockTheWhit; 09-22-2010, 12:33 PM.
          "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
            Then I guess you haven't been to a UNH game the past two seasons.

Sean
            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
            BU Hockey highlights and extras
            NCAA Hockey Financials
            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

I have also seen it where there are four Alternate Captains and no one is given the C. NMU did this a few years back when there was no clear leader in the locker room (and none stepped forward that season to claim it either).
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

You will rarely see the captain and the alternates on the ice at the same time. In fact coaching staff will make sure all three players are on seperate lines/defense through out the game.
                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Another form of selecting captains I have seen is the head coach picking the captain, his assistants picking one of the alternates (or two) and the C and A (or As) picking the final one. In this fashion I would imagine the head coach has to both trust his assistants pretty heavily and the team should include a number of natural and obvious leaders.

Captains can kind of serve as the weathermen of their teams as well. Through the course of a long season many players can have many ups and downs, some hockey related, some not. Good captains always have the pulse of the team, and working with coaches and other team leaders, can keep everyone pulling in the same direction.

In the 70s and early 80s Notre Dame also often had two designated captains.

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                    They've had co-captains the last two seasons. Butler and Lelanc last year, Collins and Charlebois (for the first half) the year before.
                    Clearly, I wasn't paying close enough attention . . . I'm more interested in the puck than the details on the sweater, anyway. I could have sworn Peter was the Assistant, but I stand corrected.
                    I haven't been on here in a year...
                    Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                      Make sure none of the other players are arrested. Some Captains are better at this than others.
                      Or commit murder.

http://www.uscho.com/news/college-ho...dinMurder.html

Sean
                      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                      BU Hockey highlights and extras
                      NCAA Hockey Financials
                      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                        I think we might just have a runaway winner for Bad Boyz Award for the 2010-11 season.
                        Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Staying with the captain theme, what does the referee say to the captains during the pregame meet-up?
                          Go Falcons!

Comment

Originally posted by spiehler View Post
                            Staying with the captain theme, what does the referee say to the captains during the pregame meet-up?
                            Although I wouldn't know from a college hockey standpoint (I was a captain for a couple games in middle school bouncyball), I would think it would include quick introductions, maybe a couple rules that the ref intends to emphasize (I would imagine the first few games that would include contact to the head and interference), special situations for the game or the arena (PK icing for exhibitions, or shootouts in an in-season tournament), and questions would get answered if any.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                              I think we might just have a runaway winner for Bad Boyz Award for the 2010-11 season.
                              they were in the log jam tavern? the plot is ludicrous
                              “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                              Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                              Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                              National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Working...
                              X