ECAC-East: Who is on the ice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECAC-East: Who is on the ice?

Has any team started "Captain's practices" on the ice? When does each team start skating with their coach?

Re: ECAC-East: Who is on the ice?

Originally posted by reggiedunlop View Post
    Has any team started "Captain's practices" on the ice? When does each team start skating with their coach?
    "Captain's Practice" would imply that student-athletes are obligated to attend. NCAA prohibits DIII Hockey from conducting any such activities until 10/15. Therefore, no "captain's practices" have begun yet.

That is also the date before which team personnel, other than one athletic trainer, may not be present at any unofficial voluntary activities, on or off ice, conducted by captains.

That is not to say the teams are not practicing yet. I'm sure most of them are likely still in the "Dry Land"phase, and are regularly working out in the gym, etc... but these, according to NCAA, cannot be called "Captain's Practices"
    Plattsburgh CARDINALS
    SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
    ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
    NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
    NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
    NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
    NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

I was just wondering. Are coaches allowed to run the dry land training? In my day, they were allowed to do this. What has changed? We didn't do much back then, mostly running and calisthenics, not much with the weights.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Woodshed View Post
        I was just wondering. Are coaches allowed to run the dry land training? In my day, they were allowed to do this. What has changed? We didn't do much back then, mostly running and calisthenics, not much with the weights.
        See also this thread from last year.
        Larry Normandin
        SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
        WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

So, just what ARE the coaches doing now?
          2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
          2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
          2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
          2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
          2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
          2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
          2009 D-III TOP runner-up
          Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
          1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
            So, just what ARE the coaches doing now?
            My guess: regularly meeting with captains to get their view of the practices, watching video of the unofficial practices being held by captains if available, and instructing the captains (via those meetings) to test line combinations, special teams, etc.

And... most of the coaches in DIII also teach at their schools.
            Plattsburgh CARDINALS
            SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23

Comment

Just so we use the proper language, the question is has anybody started pink fluffy bunnies with cinnamon buns on top. Vwewy important to avoid the term "Captain's Practice." Using it could create all kinds of problems for a team.
              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                Just so we use the proper language, the question is has anybody started pink fluffy bunnies with cinnamon buns on top. Vwewy important to avoid the term "Captain's Practice." Using it could create all kinds of problems for a team.
                After Snowmageddon last winter, the bunnies are still enjoying the warm weather and have no wish to get cold again.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                  "Captain's Practice" would imply that student-athletes are obligated to attend. NCAA prohibits DIII Hockey from conducting any such activities until 10/15. Therefore, no "captain's practices" have begun yet.
                  You're kidding right?

Again, you can call them pink fluffy bunnies with cinnamon buns on top if you want to, but they are in full swing in many places.
                  I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
                    You're kidding right?

Again, you can call them pink fluffy bunnies with cinnamon buns on top if you want to, but they are in full swing in many places.
                    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
                      You're kidding right?

Of course I realize that team captains are currently conducting practice sessions in the absence of the coaching staff (except an athletic trainer in case of injury). And of course I realize that, although they cannot specifically state that these practice sessions are mandatory to attend, failure to attend without reason by any student-athlete would very much adversely affect their standing with the coaching staff and team, and therefore their ability to get ice time.

But the bottom line is that, while I realize that these sessions are taking place, by the definition in the eyes of the NCAA, no true Captain's Practices are occurring. And yes, I am splitting hairs here
                      Plattsburgh CARDINALS

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                        .... And yes, I am splitting hairs here
                        As long as you don't split the hares
                        Larry Normandin
                        SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                        WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

So if the players clearly want to be on the ice and training, and if the coaches want to be training their players, why is the facade perpetuated? The NCAA certainly isn't running around like Elmer Fudd, "shhh, be bery quiet, I'm rabbit hunting". They are not hunting down programs that are pushing the limit.

Schools under the D3 banner want to emphasize academics according to NCAA guidelines. Yet these schools are committing resources to recruit the best players they can. The players for the most part have commited a significant portion of their youth and early adult life to becoming competitive players. For the most part they are in D3 because they are not in D1.

Almost every single player trained and skated as much as they could this summer. I am sure they didn't say "gee I am glad I get to take off a month from skating after I did all this training". It's just not what they do.

So why the facade? Of course ther are probably 10 other NCAA provisions that don't make sense but this one is so contrary what the students AND the coaching staffs want.

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow Submarine View Post
                            So if the players clearly want to be on the ice and training, and if the coaches want to be training their players, why is the facade perpetuated? The NCAA certainly isn't running around like Elmer Fudd, "shhh, be bery quiet, I'm rabbit hunting". They are not hunting down programs that are pushing the limit.

Schools under the D3 banner want to emphasize academics according to NCAA guidelines. Yet these schools are committing resources to recruit the best players they can. The players for the most part have commited a significant portion of their youth and early adult life to becoming competitive players. For the most part they are in D3 because they are not in D1.

Almost every single player trained and skated as much as they could this summer. I am sure they didn't say "gee I am glad I get to take off a month from skating after I did all this training". It's just not what they do.

So why the facade? Of course ther are probably 10 other NCAA provisions that don't make sense but this one is so contrary what the students AND the coaching staffs want.
                            If memory serves me correctly, I think it had something to do with NESCAC schools complaining. With their conference agreeing not to play until mid-November (a rule that was a required of the ECAC-E as well during the interlock), most if not all don't practice until shortly before that date (perhaps that is also a rule, I'm not sure). Some of them were rather vocal about an unfair advantage being given to schools that start in August or September. Rather than tell them to start earlier (which could potentially be construed as putting athletics before academics, contrary to DIII philosophy), NCAA announced the October 15th rule last year - well after some other schools had scheduled exhibition games that fell only a few days after that date...
                            Plattsburgh CARDINALS

Comment

Ah thank you for the information. Funny though, a lot of the nescac's have been recruiting hard to improve their programs. The recruits want the most competitive program they can get AND a the best education they can get. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next year or two with more jr. players joining their ranks.

Comment

Working...
                              X