Rating the Various Rumors of USCHO Posters in re: Penn State Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rating the Various Rumors of USCHO Posters in re: Penn State Hockey

So, various folks posted about what they had heard/swore would happen. As some of the threads where these were discussed are now closed, you'd need to do any rating in a new topic.

One prominent "I have this on great faith" poster was redhawkman10:

Originally posted by redhawkman10
    Guys thought I would throw in the info that I have received. Got it from a reliable source within Miami who was present in a meeting with Penn st.'s president and AD. Penn st. will Play as an independent in the 2012-2013 season and all the Big Ten Ad's are on board with a BTHC that will be formed in 2013-14.

The WCHA will not add anyone as they made it clear to other parties they want to operate as a 10 team league. Which would completely destruct the CCHA. He also said that Ferris St. and Lake st. have also stated if this does happen, which it will, they will strongly look at removing their D-I hockey programs.

The BTHC will play 20 games which leaves a lot of non conference games to be played against some more former conference members. i.e. Minny-UND games will still be played as will OSU-Miami etc.

However another wrinkle he told me is that Penn st. is actively recruiting other big ten schools to make the jump and that Indiana has a large donor ready and willing to go if they wanted to do so.

Apologize if all this has been repeated earlier I didn't want to read through the whole thing and I saw a little conference realignment talk which won't happen unless its UAH going to the CCHA and/or some atlantic hockey teams coming to the CCHA but the WCHA would stay 10 teams and the two east coast conferences would stay in tact.
    1. Penn State playing independent starting 2012-13: check.

2. BTHC Formation: As yet unannounced.

3. WCHA changes: no need to know right now since the BTHC defections haven't happened.

4. No announcements from other schools.

There were a number of start times reported for PSU, so rhm10 and his source were right on this one.

You can chime in, even if it's to hold me accountable on anything. This isn't a knock on rhm, honestly; he wanted to be held accountable for his reporting on his source, so I decided to give him due.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Re: Rating the Various Rumors of USCHO Posters in re: Penn State Hockey

Old news. It has been out there that it was a done deal for a few months, rumored at 95%+ well before that.

Penn State 'close' to adding
    arena, Division I hockey
    August 6, 2010 - By Cory Giger, cgiger@altoonamirror.com
    Save | Comments (11) | Post a comment |
    Rumors and speculation have existed for more than a decade, but it
    finally appears Penn State is on the verge of building a new ice
    hockey arena near the Bryce Jordan Center and adding Division I
    men's and women's hockey programs.
    "We're close," a source close to the situation told the Mirror on
    Thursday. "It won't be long before we'll be able to potentially make
    some kind of announcement. But it's not a done deal yet."
    The source spoke on the condition of anonymity, and when asked to
    define what "close" means said, "probably within the next two
    months" the wheels will be set in motion.
    The first step is acquiring private funds to build a facility that would
    seat 6,000-8,000 people. The cost for that is expected to be
    between $60 million and $80 million.
    Most, if not all, of that money would come from Penn State alum
    Terry Pegula.
    "We do have a donor that's got the capacity to do this, but there is
    no agreement yet," the Mirror's source said.
    Pegula is the founder of East Resources, a natural gas operator, and
    in May he sold his company to Royal Dutch Shell for $4.7 billion.
    Pegula, said to be an avid hockey fan, could not be reached for
    comment Thursday.
    The Mirror has learned that, in the past few weeks, Pegula and Penn
    State athletic director Tim Curley visited the University of Minnesota
    hockey facility and went to Notre Dame to examine the new arena
    being built there.
    A message left for Curley was not returned Thursday.
    Pegula also was seen in Chicago earlier this week at Big Ten football
    media days, along with Joe Battista, director of major gifts at PSU
    and former hockey coach at the school. Their exact business there
    isn't known, but they would not have needed to be there in any
    official football capacity.
    Aside from the arena, there are many additional costs to starting a
    Division I hockey program, such as scholarship money and
    equipment. While Pegula would be the benefactor for the arena
    costs, he would not be alone in financial support.
    "You don't add a program of this magnitude without there being
    other issues," the Mirror source said. "You've got scholarships for
    both a men's and a women's sport, and you've got operating
    expenses. There would have to be a number of people donating to
    this to make it work."
    Penn State currently has men's and women's club hockey teams
    called the Icers and Lady Icers. They compete in the American
    Collegiate Hockey Association, which is not sanctioned by the NCAA,
    and play in 1,350-seat Penn State Ice Rink.

This article on 8/6

http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/co...y.html?nav=746

CCHA commissioner Tom Anastos already is on record with the Detroit News in expressing his interest in the possibility of recruiting Penn State to the conference should it elect to feature a Division I program.
    Last edited by Hokydad; 09-17-2010, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Agree with HokyDad. RHM did nothing but synthesize info that was all over the interweb tubes and repackage it as HIS own, on the down low and very hush-hush confidential insider info.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
        So, various folks posted about what they had heard/swore would happen. As some of the threads where these were discussed are now closed, you'd need to do any rating in a new topic.

One prominent "I have this on great faith" poster was redhawkman10:

1. Penn State playing independent starting 2012-13: check.

2. BTHC Formation: As yet unannounced.

3. WCHA changes: no need to know right now since the BTHC defections haven't happened.

4. No announcements from other schools.

There were a number of start times reported for PSU, so rhm10 and his source were right on this one.

You can chime in, even if it's to hold me accountable on anything. This isn't a knock on rhm, honestly; he wanted to be held accountable for his reporting on his source, so I decided to give him due.

GFM
        appreciate it, I couldn't reveal my source because they asked not too. But wasn't going to waiver. Also, and not trying to toot my own horn, but was the first and only one to mention Indiana before it came out in the article. Would watch them next really closely.
        Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
          appreciate it, I couldn't reveal my source because they asked not too. But wasn't going to waiver. Also, and not trying to toot my own horn, but was the first and only one to mention Indiana before it came out in the article. Would watch them next really closely.

Inidiana has been mentioned dozens of times in writing you idiot. What the heck are you talking about. Heard that at an NCAA seminar last year

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
            Inidiana has been mentioned dozens of times in writing you idiot. What the heck are you talking about. Heard that at an NCAA seminar last year
            oh brother, you want to make up more garbage....It hadn't been posted anywhere that Indiana was in the mix, Illinois has been but this is the first public acknowledgement of their intentions....

It is hilarious what people are saying about you in my rep....you have zero credibility on here....
            Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

oh brother, you want to make up more garbage....It hadn't been posted anywhere that Indiana was in the mix, Illinois has been but this is the first public acknowledgement of their intentions....

It is hilarious what people are saying about you in my rep....you have zero credibility on here....
              Don't get too worked up about Hokeydope, there's a reason he's red, he's a complete ****ing moron.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Keep clipping and pasting President Clinton, we all believe youir bs and lies.

Clip and paste and pretend it is your own, my hero.

Rep? Never crossed my mind to care Tonto. Thats not why you write. In your case I guess it is. The lapdog known as mr clip and paste

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                  Don't get too worked up about Hokeydope, there's a reason he's red, he's a complete ****ing moron.
                  ha im not at all, just like pointing out how inaccurate he is...he posts stuff to try and disprove something and he can't even do that right. Its all good, the people that matter know lol.

You hearing anything up in the soo? Was told they are looking at things.

Comment

"this is the first public acknowledgement of their intentions...."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Only you know their intentions... Everyone else is keeping it a complete secret and no one else has ever talked about it in public? Wow..

Comment

ha im not at all, just like pointing out how inaccurate he is...he posts stuff to try and disprove something and he can't even do that right. Its all good, the people that matter know lol.

just disect the articles written months before your breaking scoop, disect those for us

Comment

The soo? I live in Minneapolis.

and don't have any affiliation with Lake State. Tech Alum, though. I think we're scewed.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

*facepalm*

Hoky is off his meds again!
                          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

this thread is stupid. i rate it an F
                            “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                            Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                            Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                            National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              If you really want him on the MTU thread, please please keep this up...

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                              -Blackadder
                              "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                              -Casablanca
                              "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                              -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Working...
                              X