Big 10 Hockey Title Banners from the 1970's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big 10 Hockey Title Banners from the 1970's

I have seen Big 10 Hockey Champion banners from the 1970's hanging in a rink or two around the country.

Was there an official Big 10 conference for hockey at some point in that time period?

If so, it would seem that many teams were members of the Big 10 and either the CCHA or WCHA at the same time.

It may be best (even for the Big 10 teams) to have such an arrangement in the future as they might have a greater chance at an NCAA autobid in their current conference than if the autobid were based on Big 10 play.

Obviously, the number of conference games in the CCHA and WCHA would need to be reduced a bit to accommodate "Big 10 play".

Re: Big 10 Hockey Title Banners from the 1970's

We need a few more Big 10 hockey threads here.
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
      We need a few more Big 10 hockey threads here.
      Something something Something Joe Thornton traded something Darkside!!!
      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by mwhawk View Post
        I have seen Big 10 Hockey Champion banners from the 1970's hanging in a rink or two around the country.

Was there an official Big 10 conference for hockey at some point in that time period?

If so, it would seem that many teams were members of the Big 10 and either the CCHA or WCHA at the same time.

It may be best (even for the Big 10 teams) to have such an arrangement in the future as they might have a greater chance at an NCAA autobid in their current conference than if the autobid were based on Big 10 play.

Obviously, the number of conference games in the CCHA and WCHA would need to be reduced a bit to accommodate "Big 10 play".
        There was a Big Ten tournament back in the day:

http://www.augenblick.org/chha/t_btn_01.html
        "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

I go back to those days and I remember Big 10 champion pennants at the "Concrete Doughnut" aka the Dane Co. Coliseum. IIRC it was pretty much a mythical deal. Michigan & Michigan State were also in the WCHA back then*.
          I was pretty little at that time, but I'm quite sure about this.

(...and for those who know me, no "Rich you were never little" blasts. I'm a Slovak Jew, not known to be little people.)

*before they moved to an easy conference. :-)
          "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

bump
            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Working...
            X