Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ferris State Hockey '10-11-Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the penalty box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ferris State Hockey '10-11-Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the penalty

Checking in for the first time in a while with some thoughts.

Getting two at Alaska was HUGE. That was a season-saving series in a sense.

Alabama-Huntsville is a TERRIBLE team. I still don't know how we lost to them in the first series. Really chippy team, too, that's the most agitating team I've seen all year, then again, if I had that record I'd be starting fights too.

Even for a 5-2 win on Friday, Ferris still looked pretty sloppy for a lot of that game. I don't know if the team I saw on Friday can beat Notre Dame.

Speaking of Notre Dame, we have to win ONE of those two games. I'd love both, but I don't see it happening. Splitting would be a pretty solid result.

We'll probably have to go deep (or win) the CCHA tournament to get into the big show. One step at a time, of course.

I REALLY want us to get the #4 seed over Western, not the #5, simply because the #5 means no home playoff games, period. That would make me have a sad panda. Although,#5 is still better than #6, of course. With the #6 though, if we couldn't beat Bowling Green, we wouldn't deserve to be playing.

Comment

• Re: Ferris State Hockey '10-11-Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the penalty

I'd rather not have the #6 seed under any circumstances. The #5 seed gets us out of the 1st round, and likely puts us in a 2nd round series at Western Michigan with a trip to the Joe on the line. The #6 seed gets us a home series, sure, but then in the next round we're traveling to Notre Dame, Miami or Michigan before the Joe. I don't think 2-2 the next two weeks is going to be enough to push us past WMU.
      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Highlights:

Press Conference:

Comment

Very good point. I don't like us in a series with any of those top 3 teams, but of course, get to the Joe, you just have to beat 'em once.

2nd game was just as expected. What sucks is that Oulette (I thought it was a weak call) and Alexander (This one was well deserved) each got misconduct penalties, which is as I recall a 1 game suspension. That is the LAST thing we need going into Notre Dame next week.

Comment

Not quite. A game misconduct does not take you out of the next game. A game disqualification will. Reading the live stats, Oullette got a misconduct. Alexander got a DQ.
            Last edited by Hammer; 02-12-2011, 11:20 PM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Nice wins against a far inferior opponent. However, I would have liked to see them work on a regular offense for what they will need against Notre Dame. It seemed like they were content with driving the net at any chance they got and just dumping the puck in front of the net. It worked against Alabama-Huntsville, but that type of play won't cut it against Notre Dame.

I thought the team came out a little flat to start the game Saturday as well. Anybody know what happened to Redmond? He was out there in the 1st but didn't see him leave. If he's injured, hopefully he'll be back in time for next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by I Want Shegos View Post
                Very good point. I don't like us in a series with any of those top 3 teams, but of course, get to the Joe, you just have to beat 'em once.

2nd game was just as expected. What sucks is that Oulette (I thought it was a weak call) and Alexander (This one was well deserved) each got misconduct penalties, which is as I recall a 1 game suspension. That is the LAST thing we need going into Notre Dame next week.
                Actually only Alexander has to sit next week, as he got the game disqualification. Ouellette got a game mis-conduct which is NOT an additional game, just tonight's game.

I really don't think Alexander got a fair shake as it is the ref's discretion whether to dish out a disqualification or a mis-conduct, and with this being a non-conference game the ref could've given him the mis-conduct. It really looked to me like they were both going into the boards together and Alexander just got the better (worse?) angle. Plus, the UAH player really could give lessons to up and coming NFL punters on how to add some drama to a close call.

Comment

Originally posted by totalx View Post
                  Anybody know what happened to Redmond? He was out there in the 1st but didn't see him leave. If he's injured, hopefully he'll be back in time for next weekend.
                  Heard through the grape-vine that a knee could be involved (ouch !?!?!?!).

Comment

Some rough numbers here on attendance:

Avg attendance 2010-11: 1,664
                    Avg attendance 2009-10: 1,618
                    Avg attendance 2008-09: 1,424

Last year we had the 5:05 Saturday start fiasco, where attendance was not good, televised games and Michigan exempted. Thankfully, the University fixed that, yet attendance is up only 46 fans/game, with an extra home date against both Michigan State and Michigan on the schedule.

The school does things right, puts together a nice home schedule, and this is what we get. I'm confused, and quite frankly, discouraged. These guys deserve better.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                      Some rough numbers here on attendance:

Avg attendance 2010-11: 1,664
                      Avg attendance 2009-10: 1,618
                      Avg attendance 2008-09: 1,424

Last year we had the 5:05 Saturday start fiasco, where attendance was not good, televised games and Michigan exempted. Thankfully, the University fixed that, yet attendance is up only 46 fans/game, with an extra home date against both Michigan State and Michigan on the schedule.

The school does things right, puts together a nice home schedule, and this is what we get. I'm confused, and quite frankly, discouraged. These guys deserve better.
                      Two thoughts:

How many schools provide "really cheap" or even free tickets to students (WMU)?

How many schools kick out students for "inappropriate conduct" like banging on the glass, or having a sign poking fun at where people live, ie Alabama; teeth; mobile homes, etc??

There seems to be a trend here, where we (Eisler, Perk, Kevin, etc) want a totally clean environment, but isn't the game for the students? That's why we call it college hockey. We don't call it family hockey for a reason, it's college hockey (18 to 24 year olds have a different sense of appropriate conduct than adults), who are not always as "clean" as adults would like them to be.

There's also two sides to the rink. DUH!!!!

What do other arenas use to measure inappropriate conduct? How much do students pay at other rinks?

Comment

Man, I would have been banned from Ewigleben about 3 games into my freshman year. There were a couple times when we had the sloppy glass where we had that glass pushed out at least on a 10-degree angle. I guarantee you we were about 1000x worse as what you have as a student section now. We were hell-raisers, and I miss every second of it. If they tried to kick us out back then, we would have had a student section of about 200.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                          Man, I would have been banned from Ewigleben about 3 games into my freshman year. There were a couple times when we had the sloppy glass where we had that glass pushed out at least on a 10-degree angle. I guarantee you we were about 1000x worse as what you have as a student section now. We were hell-raisers, and I miss every second of it. If they tried to kick us out back then, we would have had a student section of about 200.
                          And that is what our student section is now, about 200.

Comment

I think we're also dealing with unfit parents that run to the authorities when their kid hears a bit of foul language instead of using it as a teachable moment about what is and isn't appropriate. It's also unfortunate that the students are saddled with the cheer police when you can hear inappropriate/foul language in any section of that arena.
                            This space for sale.

Comment

Sadly, now we have our own "babysitters." There are two event staff who sit in folding chairs in front of the glass in the student section, they're basically the hired goons who throw out anyone for any "salty" language.

They essentially forced the students to cut out many chants, and are eliminating more and more as time continues. It won't be long when anything short of "Let's Go Ferris" is allowed. I've been at games for 5 years now, and every year, they take more and more.

The students will have to make a stand at some point if they want to be allowed anything. I guarantee the Notre Dame series is going to rough, they'll be looking to throw out ANYONE. The few students who were at the UAH games were DEAD QUIET, since you would've been so easily spotted and tossed. At least with a full crowd, they can't throw EVERYONE out for a chant. Of course, Kevin Barnes favors the classic "Pick a random person and toss them" philosophy.

At this rate, if the university gets what they want, the Ferris student section will be a PG rated group with the usefulness of a high school fan base. If that day comes, I sure as hell won't be going to games. The environment of the student scetion keeps me coming back as much if not more than the hockey itself, because the games are just plain fun to be at.

Comment

They used to have the two policemen there. One near where the locker room is, and they had the old man up at the top between Sections I & J. He was the one who I usually wound up talking to at the end of my evening at Ewigleben. He turned out to be a good guy.

The whole student section is just going to have to have a season-long revolt if the students want anything to change. Either that or go a whole month without anyone saying a word or standing. And I mean not a word. When the team takes the ice, no one stands or claps. Game winning goal? Quiet as a morgue.

Or you hijack sections A-C.

I wonder if the students have too much apathy to do something about it. My guess is that's what the administration is betting on.
                                Last edited by Hammer; 02-13-2011, 07:53 PM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Working...
                                X