X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

Well the bus weary Chargers fell to the Cornell Big Red 3-1
    Shots were 25-35 in favor of Cornell.
    All Cornell scoring came in the 2nd period.
    The Charger goal by Bruni from Burkholder came in the third.

Hopefully a good night of rest and a review of the game films will give the boys what they need to get a split tomorrow night.
    Then, guess what? Back on the bus!!!
    Doug
    UAH 1974
    Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
    Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
    Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
    Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
    Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JP1
      curious choice by uah staff...glad found out before headed down from upstate today and wasted trip...
      I presume the "curious choice" you were referring to is starting Johnny Griggs. He ended up stopping 36 of 38 and the boys took the Big Red to OT.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by JP1
        did you watch the game? if did you would know that cornell missed least 8 open nets otherwise it be different outcome...but loungo opened pandora box...there a reason no experienced coach plays third goalies...now what he supposed to do for rotation? no way can effectively rotate three...just look at groh...great games vs osu and pc, solid against bg in game where team didn't show up and now he's sat three straight...maybe more since don't know what this staff is thinking...but tough for any of them to get any kind of rhythm...that why it a very curious choice...
        I did not watch the game. You said you weren't going. Did you end up going anyway?

UAH started three goaltenders in 2002-3, 2005-6, and 2006-7. Now, if you want to lay all those at the feet of Doug Ross, that's fine. Would we agree that Tom Serratore is an experienced coach? He started three goaltenders in 2007-8, 2006-7, 2003-4, and 2002-3.

Okay, so maybe Tom Serratore isn't enough for you, Frozen Four berth or no. How about BU's Jack Parker? He did it in 2007-8 and 2006-7.

Or, let's look who's done it this year: Air Force (FSerratore, 14th season at AFA, 18th overall), Bentley (Soderquist, 9th season), Dartmouth (Gaudet, 23rd season), Holy Cross (Pearl, 16th season), Maine (Whitehead, 15th season), Niagara (Burkholder, 10th season), and Princeton (Gadowsky, 12th season). Sure, none of those teams are top teams, but UAH has two wins so far. Two. Don't you have to try something?

I can't speak to the decision. I didn't see the games. I don't know if it was the right move or not. If you'd asked me last night who I expected to start, I would have said Groh.

Is it a curious choice? Yep. Is it a choice born of inexperience? The facts argue otherwise. I know, I know ... never let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

Your move.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by JP1
          did you watch the game? if did you would know that cornell missed least 8 open nets otherwise it be different outcome...but loungo opened pandora box...there a reason no experienced coach plays third goalies...now what he supposed to do for rotation? no way can effectively rotate three...just look at groh...great games vs osu and pc, solid against bg in game where team didn't show up and now he's sat three straight...maybe more since don't know what this staff is thinking...but tough for any of them to get any kind of rhythm...that why it a very curious choice...
          I will preface this with I have never seen UAH before but from my seats clearly Saunders was the better of the two that played.

Got to give props to UAH, they played hard in both games and never quit especially after that trip up. Wow.

Also is Luongo always that fired up as a coach? My seats are right behind the visitors bench and wow, he was at times more amusing that the game.
          My Four Favorite teams:
          RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
          Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
            I will preface this with I have never seen UAH before but from my seats clearly Saunders was the better of the two that played.

Got to give props to UAH, they played hard in both games and never quit especially after that trip up. Wow.
            That's definitley been the way they have played this year. All out all the time no matter the score... except for the first game at OSU.

Originally posted by MattS View Post
            Also is Luongo always that fired up as a coach? My seats are right behind the visitors bench and wow, he was at times more amusing that the game.
            He is dedicated to making something of this team for sure and... the entire coaching staff is highly frustrated at the lack of success so far this year so... I guess you could say you will see some "animation"?!?

As to starting Griggs? Well, you know the definition of insanity, right? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Nuff said!
            Doug
            UAH 1974

Comment

Originally posted by JP1
              on different note...any opinion on how long uah pres willing to ride things out as independent? is the new pr hire coming up with new ideas?
              I thought the trolls were done when the CHA thread ended. Guess not. JP1 = first UAH supporter with negative reps.

Comment

Hmmmmm...
                Doug
                UAH 1974

Comment

The president so far seems set on the course at least for a few years as an I-1. He at least attends the games (if often only for part of them). The provost is pretty good about attending too, which is a decent sign. Yeah I've seen some of the long term plans, and they have (in the past) included some multi-purpose space which would include an ice surface.

The bigger question is, can we start to get people back in the seats. Attendance has been dismal, you're absolutely right. Student support is tepid, and that's being optimistic. Our games are too erratic and the home series are often while the students are on break (At least 6 home games so far this season including this coming weekend). Renovating the VBC hasn't helped (needed but inconvenient). It makes it a chore to get to your seats. The last problem is that transportation to the arena for the campus students is more hassle than not, and we don't seem to get much carry over from the Havoc's success last year.

I've no idea what the PR person is doing. Though I think we're doing a toys-for-tots thing this weekend. Geof, you have any details on that?

Comment

Originally posted by jyoung View Post
                    I've no idea what the PR person is doing. Though I think we're doing a toys-for-tots thing this weekend. Geof, you have any details on that?
                    ******* width="640" height="505">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cdPDr7uts2o?fs=1&hl=en_US">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cdPDr7uts2o?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505">
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

The last problem is that transportation to the arena for the campus students is more hassle than not,
                      With Bemidji State moving off campus this year, they started offering "free" (i.e. paid for with student fees) buses to games. Any chance of something like that happening?
                      Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                      B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                      CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                      ECAC:
                      HEA: UMass
                      NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                      Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                        With Bemidji State moving off campus this year, they started offering "free" (i.e. paid for with student fees) buses to games. Any chance of something like that happening?
                        I don't think so. We have had a terrible time getting our SGA to be consistent about supporting the team, including arranging things like this. We've had several game trips fall through because of SGA inaction / inefficiency.

Comment

I honestly don't know what the students' excuse for hockey games is. It's not like you're driving across town, and besides, aren't we a **** commuter school? Also, the argument that Greeks are to be the leading group of students at the university is absolutely laughable when it comes to supporting our flagship sport. They show up for the first home game and when Homecoming ceremonies are held at hockey. Otherwise, it's inconsistent as a group. Some organizations are better at it than others. Some organizations have even scheduled parties against hockey games.

This year, the schedule has been bad for student support. The first series was during Fall Break [a vestigial bit of time off from a quarter system that ended 15 years ago], and both this weekend and the NYE games will happen when students are out of town. Home attendance has always been better in the second half of the season when you're not fighting college football interest, but getting home games after Christmas is hard when we really only have a six-week window for doing so.

Lots of headwinds.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                            Lots of headwinds.
                            GFM
                            Hopefully the wind will shift from the other direction soon. If not, how long can this program remain viable?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gmann View Post
                              Hopefully the wind will shift from the other direction soon. If not, how long can this program remain viable?
                              As long as the rest of D-1 is willing to schedule us. The instant they decide it's not worth it, we're in a heap of trouble. We'd obviously prefer to have a conference to call home, but the big thing is just getting the number of games. I think we offer enough as a school to still interest players beyond just playing. (Not the least of which is the benefit of wearing shorts in November and December.)

Comment

As long as the rest of D-1 is willing to schedule us. The instant they decide it's not worth it, we're in a heap of trouble. We'd obviously prefer to have a conference to call home, but the big thing is just getting the number of games. I think we offer enough as a school to still interest players beyond just playing. (Not the least of which is the benefit of wearing shorts in November and December.)
                                Thanks. If any of the UAH faithful is wondering...............Yes I still hate Huntsville!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X