Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ok Penn State....but who is next???

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
    I'll give you Navy, and possibly the listed B10 schools (assuming PSU goes ahead.)

Why do you keep insisting on UW-Superior? They seem to be okay with themselves in D-III. If any Wisconsin schools would consider it, I'd guess the existing D-I schools: Marquette or UW-Milwaukee.

MSU-Moorhead might make the jump IF the NCAA lets a D-II school play up (currently disallowed except for grandfathered schools) and also IF they can make the financial commitment. In terms of state funds, Bemidji did, and Mankato before, and St. Cloud before that, so it's not out of the question.

As for the others... you're funny.
    I believe that rule will expire in 2011 or 2012. I think then we'll see some DII schools like MSU Moorhead, Lindenwood, and Grand Valley State.

Comment

I'll give you Navy, and possibly the listed B10 schools (assuming PSU goes ahead.)

Why do you keep insisting on UW-Superior? They seem to be okay with themselves in D-III. If any Wisconsin schools would consider it, I'd guess the existing D-I schools: Marquette or UW-Milwaukee.

MSU-Moorhead might make the jump IF the NCAA lets a D-II school play up (currently disallowed except for grandfathered schools) and also IF they can make the financial commitment. In terms of state funds, Bemidji did, and Mankato before, and St. Cloud before that, so it's not out of the question.

As for the others... you're funny.
      But really, when you think about it am I that funny?
      Lets go school by school
      Washington - Right next to BC lots of hockey talent there and northern Washington/Idaho
      USC and UCLA - No hotter talent pool than all of the roller hockey players in southern california plus very successful NHL franchises and THEY HAVE THE MONEY even inspite of the Reggie Bush problem for USC they still have the money
      Stanford - Money, and another reason to play Notre Dame and Michigain
      Texas same as USC and UCLA
      And Superior because they have a LONG tradition of playing winning hockey and I know of a couple of Alum that have the money and would help pay for the start of a men's and women's D1 program.
      - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. -

Go Bemidji Beavers
      Go you Green and White
      Go Bemidji Beavers
      Fight with all your might!
      Rah! Rah! Rah!
      We are here to cheer you
      We are out to win your fame,
      So, Go Bemidji Beavers
      Fight to win this game.-Fight.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherBigGuy911 View Post
        But really, when you think about it am I that funny?
        Lets go school by school
        Texas same as USC and UCLA
        Gopher,

Please don't put Texas in the same category cause it ain't happening. At least in the foreseeable future.

The Athletic dept would rather spend the $100 on renovating the football stadium (a proven cash cow) then to take a risk on a hockey team. Hockey still needs to be developed in this area for some time (although I see the landscape changing quickly at this point so who really knows.)

I think there are other schools closer, such as Syracuse (AD made prior statements about wanting to potentially field a men's team) and definitely other Big 10 schools. These schools are waiting to see what the fallout will be on Penn State's growing pains/ transitioning the athletic dept in adding hockey.

I don't see any other schools adding a hockey team in the coming years after Penn State, but I'm sure there are a lot of interested eyes looking in on what's going to develop.

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierBBall_GopherHockey View Post
          The problem with Indiana building an arena for basketball and hockey (multi-purpose I suppose it is called) is that they are going to make the arena huge in terms of seats. 15,000+ for sure for their basketball games. Even if IU starts winning national titles in college hockey, I do not see them putting more than 5,000 people in that building (think Ohio State). Not saying they would not go ahead and do it anyways, but the atmosphere will likely suck in that arena for hockey.

Now reading the article blockski posted, it looks like they are proposing an 18,000 person arena. That is about what Assembly Hall is now. Having watched a couple games from Assembly Hall, both in the lower bowl, it was an amazing view. I could see why the the upper levels would have sucked though and why they want a new arena.
          There are some things you can do with the design of the arena to mitigate that. If you took the Kohl Center, for example, and didn't sell any seats in either of the upper decks - you'd have a nice 7,000ish seat arena.

Value City Arena isn't designed as nicely to partition the seating areas for smaller crowds.

If they were to double-up, I can see them leaving some hockey-obstructed views which would also make the good seats more intimate. The architects have all sorts of tricks up their sleeves.

Nevertheless, the key is to get a 200 x 85 floor area (which is standard these days for big floor shows anyway) and the provisions for ice making built in, even if not installed right away.

Makes sense that they should make a purpose-built building, for the same reason it makes sense for Minnesota to have separate buildings for separate sports: they don't want interference with their cash cows. Hopefully if Indiana ever decides to make the leap, they'll take heed of Notre Dame's new arena.
          Well yeah, it makes sense so long as you're the one spending other people's money.

Also, Notre Dame isn't getting a purpose-built hockey arena because multi-purpose ones stink, they're getting a purpose-built arena because their basketball arena is just fine as it is. You'll note that the schools that were in need of new facilities for both (Wisconsin, Ohio State) have both in the same house. The economics of it make too much sense.
          "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by sbkbghockey View Post
            I believe that rule will expire in 2011 or 2012. I think then we'll see some DII schools like MSU Moorhead, Lindenwood, and Grand Valley State.
            Isn't Lindenwood an NAIA school and not affiliated with the NCAA at all? For them to field a D1 hockey team I believe their entire athletic department would have to join the NCAA.

Depending on the future of the CCHA, I could see Grand Valley perhaps starting up a program.

Comment

Navy would make sense. Even though Atlantic hockey is at 12 members there is no way they would not get in. Army and Air Force would leave the conference if they couldn't be in it with Navy. URI is another possibility. I would really like to see another school south of the Mason Dixon line add hockey. It would be really nice to have a FL school add one since FL is basically full of people from the northern states there would be a fan base there already when teams come and visit. IE look at when the Red Sox or Yanks play in Tampa.

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                Navy would make sense. Even though Atlantic hockey is at 12 members there is no way they would not get in. Army and Air Force would leave the conference if they couldn't be in it with Navy. URI is another possibility. I would really like to see another school south of the Mason Dixon line add hockey. It would be really nice to have a FL school add one since FL is basically full of people from the northern states there would be a fan base there already when teams come and visit. IE look at when the Red Sox or Yanks play in Tampa.
                I have a feeling if URI was to go D-1 they would try super hard to get into Hockey East, would fit via the whole New England thing. Don't know how Providence would feel but if you added URI and UConn that is still a good 12 team league.
                MATTHEWS ARENA

100 YEARS OF HOCKEY HISTORY

Comment

Originally posted by sbkbghockey View Post
                  I think then we'll see some DII schools like ... Grand Valley State.
                  Did BIGMRG win the lottery and not say anything?
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyMan View Post
                    I have a feeling if URI was to go D-1 they would try super hard to get into Hockey East, would fit via the whole New England thing. Don't know how Providence would feel but if you added URI and UConn that is still a good 12 team league.
                    Let me fill in for Patman here and point out that there's no chance in hell of the UConn men's team joining Hockey East.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
                      Isn't Lindenwood an NAIA school and not affiliated with the NCAA at all? For them to field a D1 hockey team I believe their entire athletic department would have to join the NCAA.

Depending on the future of the CCHA, I could see Grand Valley perhaps starting up a program.
                      They're moving to the NCAA, Division II. They'll be a full member in the 2013-2014 school year.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                        Northeastern already has a D-I hockey team!
                        I'm just glad that people consider NU a D-I team again!

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyMan View Post
                          Providence ought to be thrilled as they'd have a game to look forward to for a change. I've always had it out for that school after that vicious mutt of a mascot they had, Friar Boy V, tried to maul me at a game several years back.

I will say that if URI ever did go D-1, Hockey East is a great fit and I'd gladly trade out Merrimac for UConn.
                          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                            Let me fill in for Patman here and point out that there's no chance in hell of the UConn men's team joining Hockey East.

Powers &8^]
                            Yup, and we always said the same about Penn State. I'm reevaluating the whole thing!
                            MATTHEWS ARENA

100 YEARS OF HOCKEY HISTORY

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                              Did BIGMRG win the lottery and not say anything?
                              Trust me, you guys would be the first to know right after I have a nice long chat and check signing with Mr. Selgo.
                              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by Viva La Bam View Post
                                Talking from a perspective of growing the game.....when are we going to see southern Div 1 teams?
                                We have one, who got the shaft, who will get a bigger shaft after PennSt starts, get an even bigger shaft after BTHC, and we want to see more of this???

I see a lot more contraction before I see growing the game.

Besides, look at the great NHL southern expansion. Panthers' bandwagoneers haven't been on since 1996, Atlanta looks like the Flames all over again, I am happy that Nashville's threatened move is over (for now), and even the pretty popular Lightning are currently having big woes. And I am a proponent of this southern hockey (versus moving a team or four to Canada).

I guess I am more towards baby steps. Let us do a Frozen Four in Cincinnati first.

Comment

Working...
                                X