• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Ten Hockey Conference

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
    Cleveland??
    Maybe a skills competition in Akron ...
    "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

"I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ScottM View Post
      The problem with that angle is that UND is going D1 in all sports, so there may not be the benefits of staying with the other Minnesota schools over time. UND would probably rather chase after ND, Michigan, Miami, DU, etc. in hockey, and other sports, than hang with the Minnesota D2 schools. Money will ultimately be driving most schools' decisions.
      UND has already left those other Minnesota schools behind in their other sports. But clearly, Hockey rules the roost there in Grand Forks, and it doesn't take much to figure out that not having Minnesota and Wisconsin coming into the Ralph would be bad for business. They would do ok without em, but things would be better with them. UND wouldn't and couldn't be shackled to the other Minnesota schools like UMTC could be, but given their location of being near Minnesota, having a lot of Alumni in Minnesota, and currently still a big rival of UMTC, it would make a lot of sense for them to be included in any future college hockey conference involving the Minnesota Schools.
      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Bimidji and UNO spent or sacrificed $100,000 to join the WCHA.

Might be a good time to call their lawyers and slap a multimillion dollar lawsuit on MN & WI for entering into a deceptive and fraudulent contract.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
          All this being said, I don't think that it is certainty that the Big Ten teams leave their current conferences. Once they see the carnage their departures create for very little extra money, they may not go for it.

College hockey is a pretty small fraternity and the animosity that all this would create might not be worth it for the Big Ten Schools.

There could also be political ramifications in Minnesota and Michigan where four Minnesota schools and five Michigan schools would be adversely affected. And how is the Minnesota Legislate going to like pumping dollars into Duluth, Bemidji and St. Cloud's arenas only to have the Gophers bail on the conference?
          With respect to your last point, in the last twenty years the Minnesota legislature has only appropriated monies to build hockey arenas in Duluth and Bemidji. It recently refused to appropriate any money to Mankato or to St. Cloud to renovate the National Hockey Center (NHC). St. Cloud is financing the $31,000,000 NHC renovation by its own capital campaign and efforts. Which is somewhat typical as to the haphazard and insufficient funding that the Minnesota legislature does for its public universities other than the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities campus.

Instead, the Minnesota legislature would rather spend $250,000,000 to build a football stadium for the University of Minnesota because the University was myopic in its decision to tear down Memorial Stadium on campus, and move its football games to the Metrodome, a venue no one wanted to attend to watch a poorly coached football team.

In other words, if the Big Ten Network (or whatever source) brings in the money for the five current teams, they will leave the CCHA and the WCHA to join Penn State and start a new conference.

Ultimately, the Minnesota legislature and/or the University of Minnesota will have little concern what future awaits the hockey programs at Bemidji State University, Minnesota State Mankato, St. Cloud State, or even the University of Minnesota Duluth.

There is a reason why Minnesota only has one public university that has all its academics and athletics programs at D1.

Comment

The Big Ten TV contract pays each school around $10 million annually. They aren't going to pay one dollar extra if the hockey conference forms.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
              There could also be political ramifications in Minnesota and Michigan where four Minnesota schools and five Michigan schools would be adversely affected. And how is the Minnesota Legislate going to like pumping dollars into Duluth, Bemidji and St. Cloud's arenas only to have the Gophers bail on the conference?
              If you are hanging your hat on this, you are going to be disappointed.
              University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Husckey Domi Nation View Post
                Ultimately, the Minnesota legislature and/or the University of Minnesota will have little concern what future awaits the hockey programs at Bemidji State University, Minnesota State Mankato, St. Cloud State, or even the University of Minnesota Duluth.
                It ain't like the 'U' gets all it wants out of them either. Just an FYI.

But I agree with your sentiment on whether the politicians here would care. They have a heck of a lot more to focus on than who plays who in college hockey.
                University of Minnesota

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                  If you just put it in Chicago it would be a pretty big blow to a city like St. Paul.
                  St. Paul can have the new WCHA tourney, with 5,000 Sioux fans and 5,000 fans of all the other teams combined. The 10,000 people who show up will be treated to 1/2 to 2/3 full arena, TV in Grand Forks only and a break-even tounrey with no league revenue.

If DU, UND, CC, Miami, Notre Dame etc ever form their own conference, I could see the league tourney being a campus site affair, with the highest seed hosting...

Comment

Originally posted by ScottM View Post
                    Maybe a skills competition in Akron ...
                    I was thinking Gary Indiana.
                    Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
                    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
                    1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
                    2006-2007: 15-24-2
                    2007-2008: 20-20-4
                    2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                      It ain't like the 'U' gets all it wants out of them either. Just an FYI.

But I agree with your sentiment on whether the politicians here would care. They have a heck of a lot more to focus on than who plays who in college hockey.
                      You mean like the revenue brought in by an annual F5 tournament? That's not a small chunk of change either.

Let's also not forget this is the same legislature that had a huge debate on whether or not alcohol should be sold at the U during athletic events. Trust me, they have plenty of time to spend on the topic.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Four Minnesota universities potentially losing much of their athletic department revenue stream.

Tourism dollars inevitably affected by this realignment in already depressed areas of the state.

Arenas and communities losing out on ticket tax revenue.

Dollars spent out of state as the Gophers play most of their road games outside Minnesota.

Sounds like a political hot potato to me. Sure doesn't sound like "The State Of Hockey.
                        Last edited by dggoddard; 09-13-2010, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Hockey still matters in Minnesota, doesn't it?

I'd be surprised if the legislature were to ignore this totally.

Comment

With respect to your last point, in the last twenty years the Minnesota legislature has only appropriated monies to build hockey arenas in Duluth and Bemidji. It recently refused to appropriate any money to Mankato or to St. Cloud to renovate the National Hockey Center (NHC). St. Cloud is financing the $31,000,000 NHC renovation by its own capital campaign and efforts. Which is somewhat typical as to the haphazard and insufficient funding that the Minnesota legislature does for its public universities other than the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities campus.
                            Wrong:

The project is being funded by $6.5 million from the State of Minnesota and nearly $23 million in projected private money, sponsorships and naming rights income.
                            Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                            B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                            CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                            ECAC:
                            HEA: UMass
                            NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                            Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Instead, the Minnesota legislature would rather spend $250,000,000 to build a football stadium for the University of Minnesota because the University was myopic in its decision to tear down Memorial Stadium on campus, and move its football games to the Metrodome, a venue no one wanted to attend to watch a poorly coached football team.

In other words, if the Big Ten Network (or whatever source) brings in the money for the five current teams, they will leave the CCHA and the WCHA to join Penn State and start a new conference.

There is a reason why Minnesota only has one public university that has all its academics and athletics programs at D1.
                              You are such a tool.
                              I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                You mean like the revenue brought in by an annual F5 tournament? That's not a small chunk of change either.
                                That making the assumption that a WCHA final five isn't still there and a potential BTHC playoff isn't there (at a minimum, some of the time). If anything, it could end up bringing more. You can play the "what if" game both ways... negatively and positively.
                                University of Minnesota

Comment

Working...
                                X