X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Ten Hockey Conference

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    The BT will likely ask the NCAA to make sure sub .500 teams are tourney eligible and for them to receive 3 or 4 tourney teams every year.
    I thought the NCAA quickly stopped this once a Big10 member school DID abuse the rule and got into the tourney over better record teams (thanks to their strength of schedule in the WCHA)?
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I seriously think that if it happens, the only option the remaining schools have is to stand strong and refuse to schedule any big 10 teams non-conference. It is the only way that this doesn't destroy college hockey. It will be tough to lose those rivalries, but the only other option is a slow death.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        I seriously think that if it happens, the only option the remaining schools have is to stand strong and refuse to schedule any big 10 teams non-conference. It is the only way that this doesn't destroy college hockey. It will be tough to lose those rivalries, but the only other option is a slow death.
        That would be ironic, DU refusing to play Minnesota
        DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
          The BT will likely ask the NCAA to make sure sub .500 teams are tourney eligible and for them to receive 3 or 4 tourney teams every year.
          While they're at it, the BTHC might as well ask for sub .250 teams to be tourney eligible and for the conference to receive 6 tourney teams every year.

Originally posted by du78 View Post
          That would be ironic, DU refusing to play Minnesota
          I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
            All this being said, I don't think that it is certainty that the Big Ten teams leave their current conferences. Once they see the carnage their departures create for very little extra money, they may not go for it.

College hockey is a pretty small fraternity and the animosity that all this would create might not be worth it for the Big Ten Schools.

There could also be political ramifications in Minnesota and Michigan where four Minnesota schools and five Michigan schools would be adversely affected. And how is the Minnesota Legislate going to like pumping dollars into Duluth, Bemidji and St. Cloud's arenas only to have the Gophers bail on the conference?
            That is an excellent point. I think you, or someone else on this board made a similar observation about the Texas legislature and the protection of non-University of Texas teams back when the Longhorns were being courted by the Pac-10. Whether that turned out to be the deciding factor, Texas didn't jump ship.

Also, you know that at a minimum the Big 10 championship will be shared between The X and The Joe. Neither Michigan nor Minnesota will allow the other to be the perpetual host, like the current situation, which has been pretty sweet for both.

However, in the end it will come down to what the Big 10 as a conference dictates, probably, and that will likely mean the hockey schools from the Big 10 forming their own conference.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
              All this being said, I don't think that it is certainty that the Big Ten teams leave their current conferences. Once they see the carnage their departures create for very little extra money, they may not go for it.

College hockey is a pretty small fraternity and the animosity that all this would create might not be worth it for the Big Ten Schools.

There could also be political ramifications in Minnesota and Michigan where four Minnesota schools and five Michigan schools would be adversely affected. And how is the Minnesota Legislate going to like pumping dollars into Duluth, Bemidji and St. Cloud's arenas only to have the Gophers bail on the conference?
              Might be on to something there. Duluth, Bemidji, St. Cloud, and Mankato might not have enough pull, but they just might have enough around somewhere if they get on the ball here to try to keep it so that UMTC can't leave them behind in a conference. UND might not exactly be a Minnesota school, but I would think that they would have some support that they could help throw their weight behind the Other Minnesota schools. Whats good for them would be good for UND.

MTU, NMU, LSSU, FSU and WMU probably don't have enough pull, but if they can raise enough noise, they can at least make it difficult for Michigan and Michigan State to leave for a BTHC. Could also make some argument about having UM and MSU staying in state, it keeps that money that their fans would spend to travel to games in state. Combine that with Minnesota being held at gunpoint to stay out of a full fledged BTHC, a more modified deal where they play often, but within the confines of the WCHA and CCHA.

BGSU and Miami alums could also do well if they can get their state legislature to chain them to OSU as well. Would make for an excellent start on another conference centered around Ohio and PSU.
              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                Might be on to something there. Duluth, Bemidji, St. Cloud, and Mankato might not have enough pull, but they just might have enough around somewhere if they get on the ball here to try to keep it so that UMTC can't leave them behind in a conference. UND might not exactly be a Minnesota school, but I would think that they would have some support that they could help throw their weight behind the Other Minnesota schools. Whats good for them would be good for UND.
                The problem with that angle is that UND is going D1 in all sports, so there may not be the benefits of staying with the other Minnesota schools over time. UND would probably rather chase after ND, Michigan, Miami, DU, etc. in hockey, and other sports, than hang with the Minnesota D2 schools. Money will ultimately be driving most schools' decisions.
                "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

"I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

sigpic

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't any B10 conference tourney be in Chicago at the United Center. Neutral location and all the schools have large alumni bases there. Don't see why they wouldn't agree to that.

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                    Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't any B10 conference tourney be in Chicago at the United Center. Neutral location and all the schools have large alumni bases there. Don't see why they wouldn't agree to that.
                    They'll go wherever makes them the most $$$$$$.
                    Bronco Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by moe24 View Post
                      They'll go wherever makes them the most $$$$$$.
                      So, not Detroit...
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

So, not Detroit...
                        Cleveland??
                        Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
                        1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
                        1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
                        2006-2007: 15-24-2
                        2007-2008: 20-20-4
                        2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
                          Cleveland??
                          That might be the only place that would be worse than Detroit.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

South Beach?
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

So, not Detroit...
                              Detroit is great if either UofM or MSU are in the finals.
                              Bronco Hockey Blog

Comment

There is no question there would be intense lobbying for the Big 10 hockey tournament. You know St. Paul and Detroit would lobby hard to get it. Chicago is a neutral spot.

If they don't do it in a place like Chicago, then you also know you're going to get OSU wanting to host, Wisconsin wanting to host, etc...

If you just put it in Chicago it would be a pretty big blow to a city like St. Paul.
                                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Working...
                                X