Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it out of the realistic realm of possibilities that should this force realignment that the BT teams unite while not calling the conference TBT and thereby being able to have non-BT teams?

Comment

• Re: Big Ten Hockey Conference

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
      Did they say they considered the CCHA and chose not to join? Maybe they haven't talked to them or have not been invited to join yet, but it still could join? I am sure at some point the Big Ten will have a hockey conference, but at this point we don't know when that will be.
      There have absolutely been discussions between the CCHA and PSU administration. We're left to infer the reasoning behind PSU not joining.

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
      why would the ccha even consider allowing PSU in for 2 yrs?!? there is going to be a BTHC. why would the ccha allow themselves to slut around and give penn st someplace to play?

makes no sense.
      The CCHA would almost have to extend an offer once it became aware of PSU's intent to go DI. Not doing so just expedites the development of the BTHC with the W at 12 teams and no real reason for anyone out east to admit them. It was in their best interest, even with the knowledge that it may not be a permanent solution. They can sell easily try to sell PSU on the advantages of membership within the conference, with the ultimate goal of having them think twice about the benefits of breaking off in the future. The CCHA's goal is entirely self preservation, and whatever means they need to incorporate to accomplish that. They would have been crazy to dismiss PSU entirely knowing the possible ramifications.

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post

There's nothing I can do about it obviously but my interest level or more accurately passion for the game won't be as high as it is with the WCHA.
      Change is difficult, isn't it? The majority of us with vested interests in the outcome of this discussion feel the same way. I'd rather not lose the chance to see Michigan play NMU or Ferris every year at the expense of adding the likes of PSU (or Indiana, Illinois, etc..). However, in time, new rivalries will be developed and life moves on. Yes, I understand it may be a little different scenario for WI/MN with the loss of DU/UND, but the concept is the same. So long as non-conference scheduling options exist to continue those rivalries, albeit to a lesser extent, I'm resigned to the belief that this isn't entirely a bad thing in the eyes of my fandom. In due time, PSU and any others will replace my current regards for seeing our CCHA foes multiple times a year.

Comment

Originally posted by KC8NIY View Post
        There have absolutely been discussions between the CCHA and PSU administration. We're left to infer the reasoning behind PSU not joining.

The CCHA would almost have to extend an offer once it became aware of PSU's intent to go DI. Not doing so just expedites the development of the BTHC with the W at 12 teams and no real reason for anyone out east to admit them. It was in their best interest, even with the knowledge that it may not be a permanent solution. They can sell easily try to sell PSU on the advantages of membership within the conference, with the ultimate goal of having them think twice about the benefits of breaking off in the future. The CCHA's goal is entirely self preservation, and whatever means they need to incorporate to accomplish that. They would have been crazy to dismiss PSU entirely knowing the possible ramifications.

Change is difficult, isn't it? The majority of us with vested interests in the outcome of this discussion feel the same way. I'd rather not lose the chance to see Michigan play NMU or Ferris every year at the expense of adding the likes of PSU (or Indiana, Illinois, etc..). However, in time, new rivalries will be developed and life moves on. Yes, I understand it may be a little different scenario for WI/MN with the loss of DU/UND, but the concept is the same. So long as non-conference scheduling options exist to continue those rivalries, albeit to a lesser extent, I'm resigned to the belief that this isn't entirely a bad thing in the eyes of my fandom. In due time, PSU and any others will replace my current regards for seeing our CCHA foes multiple times a year.
        yes change is sometimes difficult but losing Denver (7-time NCAA Champs) and North Dakota (7-time NCAA Champs and bitter rivals) is just unexcusable

and to lose them to the following????
        to PSU (who? new team who cares, I don't even give a chit about their football team), OSU (who?, no NCAA success whatsoever), MSU (So what, 2 titles and still don't care about them), Michigan (never cared about them in hockey accept to say I can't wait until someone gets to 10 NCAA Titles to knock michigan off their perch for winning in the 50's when there were like 6 teams playing)

In order to build rivalries that would match Denver, Nodak, Minnesota, CC, Michigan Tech (check the 60's and 70's with their 3 titles)

UW would have to play 3 consecutive decades against these bums and not only that, but PSU, MSU, OSU, and Mich would have to actually have enough success against Wisconsin and Minnesota to create a spark, and enough NCAA success in that time to hold interest.

I'm not buying it. and I think you'll see more people in the stands for UW-UMD, UW-DU, UW-Nodak, UW-SCSU than for games against MSU, PSU, OSU, and Michigan...

UNLESS of course, Barry Alvarez markets the team to the UW football crowd which they seem to be doing more of, and it will ruin the live experience for me totally cause UW football fans generally are not people I want to be sitting next to at any kind of game (see camp randall hockey game, and morons doing the 4th quarter jump around bs)

hockey has a unique identity. it's awesome that Michigan Tech kicked the assess of the big boys once in a while, awesome that RPI and Bowling Green have won NCAA titles.

I don't want to see it marketed in any way like football or basketball, this could start that.

and once that happens you can say goodbye to the Michigan Tech's, RPI's, Bowling Green's EVER winning NCAA titles. hell, it may even eventually weather away Nodak and DU's chances as the recruits will nearly all want to play for B10 schools given the exposure there.
        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
          UNLESS of course, Barry Alvarez markets the team to the UW football crowd which they seem to be doing more of, and it will ruin the live experience for me totally cause UW football fans generally are not people I want to be sitting next to at any kind of game (see camp randall hockey game, and morons doing the 4th quarter jump around bs) hockey has a unique identity.
          I agree with this. The potential football crossover fans is what I think is driving this for the AD's.
          Last edited by dggoddard; 09-20-2010, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            Anyone who thinks Notre Dame is even going to be allowed to be discussed in the Big Ten Hockey Conference is drunk at the wheel. As long as they choose to stay out in football they will be out period. This is an absolute, and I dont speak in absolutes for the most part. It will not happen, not now, not ever.
            According to the poster on Gopher Puck Live, the announcement is coming within 27 days when the next Big Ten meetings occur. The hockey issues are already on the agenda.

Notre Dame with a new arena is too tempting to pass up. You act like it was written in the Bible.

"Thou shall not invite a non-Big Ten team into our new hockey conference so we can make more money."
            Last edited by dggoddard; 09-20-2010, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
              According to the poster on Gopher Puck Live, the announcement is coming within 27 days.

Notre Dame with a new arena is too tempting to pass up. You act like it was written in the Bible.
              Foootball $$$ >>> Hockey $$$. Football would drive any new additional members into sports conferences not hockey. Not only that the B10 is an academic partnership and would not be willing to open up its doors unless its an all in type deal.

As for a poster on gopher puck whatever board. That is speculation as of now. Unless we get some news article giving it credibility I do not believe it. There have been plenty of rumors on these message boards as well that have not panned out.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                Yeah... and why do you believe it? All these things go away with a simple vote... its a matter of wanting it to occur. If they want it, it will be done... they'll define the expedient reason afterwards.
                The BT doesn't want it to happen at all, unless the boys in South Bend are planning on bringing all of their sports (including football) under the Big Ten umbrella.

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                Is it out of the realistic realm of possibilities that should this force realignment that the BT teams unite while not calling the conference TBT and thereby being able to have non-BT teams?
                No, it's not. I also think that this (for those that fear the BTHC) would be even worse than the BTHC. If this is the case, why stop at Notre Dame? Why not recreate the old WCHA, plus OSU and PSU? Six BT teams, plus Notre Dame, DU, CC, and North Dakota.

Now, that kind of superconference would indeed be problematic for the remnants of the WCHA and CCHA.

The only other option I can think of would be this - a full on merger between the WCHA and the CCHA to create 1 giant 24 team conference (including PSU) with three divisions - the 'Western' division, the 'Central' division, and the 'Big Ten' division. But, then you'd still only have one conference with one autobid - I think separate conferences with scheduling arrangements of some sort would be more likely.
                "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
                  The BT doesn't want it to happen at all, unless the boys in South Bend are planning on bringing all of their sports (including football) under the Big Ten umbrella.

No, it's not. I also think that this (for those that fear the BTHC) would be even worse than the BTHC. If this is the case, why stop at Notre Dame? Why not recreate the old WCHA, plus OSU and PSU? Six BT teams, plus Notre Dame, DU, CC, and North Dakota.

Now, that kind of superconference would indeed be problematic for the remnants of the WCHA and CCHA.

The only other option I can think of would be this - a full on merger between the WCHA and the CCHA to create 1 giant 24 team conference (including PSU) with three divisions - the 'Western' division, the 'Central' division, and the 'Big Ten' division. But, then you'd still only have one conference with one autobid - I think separate conferences with scheduling arrangements of some sort would be more likely.
                  I was getting kinda excited when you said the bolded part until you decided to ignore that my MTU huskies were part of the old WCHA
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Instead of Touchdown Jesus, they can have his image with "Jesus Saves!" imprinted in the crease.
                    "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

"I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                      As for a poster on gopher puck whatever board. That is speculation as of now. Unless we get some news article giving it credibility I do not believe it. There have been plenty of rumors on these message boards as well that have not panned out.
                      I've seen more stories broken on this message board than all of the other "mainstream" media outlets combined.

Perhaps it was Lucia (Notre Dame '81) that pulled the Notre Dame into the discussion. But no matter how it happened or if it has happened, I believe it. Some don't. Lets just see how it plays out.

Another GPL rumor: The BTHC has approached the United Center in Chicago about hosting their Final 4/5. Now connect the dots...What U.S. city has the largest number of Notre Dame fans? ___________
                      Last edited by dggoddard; 09-20-2010, 10:18 AM.

Comment

I've seen more stories broken on this message board than all of the other "mainstream" media outlets combined.

Perhaps it was Lucia (Notre Dame '81) that pulled the Notre Dame into the discussion. But no matter how it happened or if it has happened, I believe it. Some don't. Lets just see how it plays out.

Another GPL rumor: The BTHC has approached the United Center in Chicago about hosting their Final 4/5. Now connect the dots...What U.S. city has the largest number of Notre Dame fans? ___________
                        Chicago also has probably the most or at least the 2nd most alums of every school in the B10. It is the third largest city in the country and in the middle of the conferences footprint.

Comment

This article about Western Michigan hockey suggests that the CCHA & WCHA will split teams accordingly.

http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.s...enn_state.html

CCHA
                          Western Michigan
                          Northern Michigan
                          Ferris State
                          Lake State
                          Michigan Tech
                          Bowling Green
                          UAA
                          Alaska

WCHA
                          UND
                          MSU-M
                          SCSU
                          Duluth
                          DU
                          CC
                          Bemidji
                          UNO
                          (I guess Miami????)
                          Last edited by dggoddard; 09-20-2010, 10:38 AM.

Comment

This article about Western Michigan hockey suggests that the CCHA & WCHA will split teams accordingly.

http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.s...enn_state.html

CCHA
                            Western Michigan
                            Northern Michigan
                            Ferris State
                            Lake State
                            Michigan Tech
                            Bowling Green
                            UAA
                            Alaska

WCHA
                            UND
                            MSU-M
                            SCSU
                            Duluth
                            DU
                            CC
                            Bemidji
                            UNO
                            (I guess Miami????)
                            I can't see them putting both Alaska teams in the same conference, requiring TWO trips up there every year for their teams.
                            My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                              I can't see them putting both Alaska teams in the same conference, requiring TWO trips up there every year for their teams.
                              Maybe some teams will be able schedule trips over school breaks and holidays and stay the week.

Or maybe they'll only play 20, 22, 24 conference games.
                              Last edited by dggoddard; 09-20-2010, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                                If you read the article its more about the teams that aren't big ten schools and don't end up in the Anti-Big Ten will be a bunch of michigan schools, bowling green and the alaska schools...

Originally posted by Western Michigan Article
                                If Big Ten hockey happens, where does WMU wind up, once the CCHA and WCHA are done picking over each other? In an eight-team league with Northern Michigan, Ferris State, Lake Superior State, Michigan Tech, Bowling Green and both Alaska programs?
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X