X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Ten Hockey Conference

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
    Minnesota has already announced massive ticket surcharge increases in upcoming seasons for the best seats.

The ticket prices will go up, you are crazy if you try and argue that point.
    Source? and if they are going up now, that has little to do with BTHC and everything to do with GOPHER hockey
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Can we all at least agree that Barry Alvarez is a tooldoosh?
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        I loved him as a football coach, but as an AD...I think a turd sandwich and giant doosh are fighting over who can be his personal mascot.
        *****http://southparkstudios-intl.mtvnimages.com/shared/sps/img/content/characters/126a.jpg******
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Resistance is futile.

******* width="480" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WZEJ4OJTgg8?fs=1&hl=en_US">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WZEJ4OJTgg8?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">
          "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            Source? and if they are going up now, that has little to do with BTHC and everything to do with GOPHER hockey
            Do your own research. I don't have the time.

Basically the Gophers are tacking huge surcharges onto their best seats and expanding the areas that will have to pay the fees. There was speculation from Gopher fans that many wouldn't renew their tickets with the team not playing well in recent seasons.

With the BTHC on the horizon, I'm guessing many won't give up seats that have been held for years.

Comment

Basically the Gophers are tacking huge surcharges onto their best seats and expanding the areas that will have to pay the fees. There was speculation from Gopher fans that many wouldn't renew their tickets with the team not playing well in recent seasons.

With the BTHC on the horizon, I'm guessing many won't give up seats that have been held for years.
              Oh pardon me, you state something as fact and don't feel like backing it up...I got it. We shall see if you're right about that. I'm sure people will just jump at spending all that extra money to keep their seats because Minnesota will be playing Ohio State and Penn State I highly doubt more gopher fans really give a **** who the gophers play, especially if they continue not being a championship caliber team.
              Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 09-17-2010, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                I'm in ...
                "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

"I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling Cooper View Post
                  You've just given a good argument against the status quo. College hockey can stand back and watch the sport wither into vapor, killed by a thousand paper cuts of tight budgets, Title IX, no tv exposure and student indifference.

...or maybe the BTHC and BTN just might be a catalyst for helping to move college hockey forward as a major American sport.
                  Back in 1968 college basketball was not a national sport until some guy name Eddie Einhorn and TVS had the guts to televise UCLA vs Houston across the country. I remember SI running a story about the new basketball gyms being built in response to the growth of college hoops.

The insane growth in college basketball can be traced to that game. We need something similar in college hockey. Face it, Bemidji vs St. Cloud State will not cut it nationally, but an undefeated Michigan State vs. an undefeated Alabama would.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Actually, a better comparison for college basketball would be the 1979 final, which was the first time we saw Magic vs. Bird.

Penn State is here. Fine. But if it kills a few smaller programs, and we get down to somewhere around 54-55 teams, I would not be surprised in the least if the NCAA goes back to a 10-12 team tournament. We're shrinking, folks, not growing, even if another Big Ten team or two arrives on the scene.

There's a big difference between college basketball and college hockey. Basketball in general is played, and watched, in most parts of the country. You cannot say the same about hockey. We're comparing apples to grapefruit here. Ask the Atlanta Thrashers or the Florida Panthers.

We had over 77,000 come to see Michigan-Michigan State. We've had other outdoor games to various degrees of success. In roughly three months, we're going to have ~110,000 watch Michigan play Michigan State. If that doesn't turn the rest of the country on to college hockey, nothing will. And I'm guessing that the appeal of this game isn't going to resonate much outside of the current footprint of college hockey. Major expansion is not on the way.
                    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling Cooper View Post

...or maybe the BTHC and BTN just might be a catalyst for helping to move college hockey forward as a major American sport.
                      Sure. What the NHL can't accomplish the Big 10 can.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        The insane growth in college basketball can be traced to that game. We need something similar in college hockey. Face it, Bemidji vs St. Cloud State will not cut it nationally, but an undefeated Michigan State vs. an undefeated Alabama would.
                        I am pulling for them, really, but even the most die hard supporter doesn't think UAH is going to go unbeaten

Comment

When the Red Wings-Avalanche on NHL Wednesday Night Hockey on ESPN can't outdraw Spongebob Squarepants reruns, Minnesota-Penn State on BTN doesn't have a chance against Gerald McBoing Boing.
                          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

From what I can tell, gopher fans would be MORE LIKELY to give up their seats if they weren't playing UND, UMD, DU and SCSU regularly! Why don't you understand this! They don't care about playing the other Big 10 teams not named Michigan or Wisconsin!
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I don't get the comparison of the BTHC to the NHL's southern expansion.

The Big Ten Network is carried in Big Ten states. States that just happen to be fairly cold in climate and have lots of people playing hockey, liking hockey, and knowing hockey.
                              "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
                                I don't get the comparison of the BTHC to the NHL's southern expansion.

The Big Ten Network is carried in Big Ten states. States that just happen to be fairly cold in climate and have lots of people playing hockey, liking hockey, and knowing hockey.

WRONG.....BTN is carried throughout the country, I have been watching it in Texas since it became a network

Comment

Working...
                                X