X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Ten Hockey Conference

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
    If you think they won't go to St. Cloud, which is at least easy to get to, they **** sure aren't coming to Mankato.
    Nobody EVER willingly goes to Mankato.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
      I just don't see how this turns out to be a financially advantageous move for either UW or MN.
      Because it's a move about more than just hockey and the hockey budget.
      "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        Kinda like they helped their loyal fans by selling all of the best seats to Corpos?

I hope they do, but I have concerns.
        Who doesn't pull that crap?
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Nobody EVER willingly goes to Mankato.
          My point exactly!
          My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

It could also make each of the 6 member hockey schools into bigger cash generators for their departments. This could cause up to three other Big Ten schools to add the sport?
            The financial advantages totally disappear for UW and MN if another school or two join, as it stands, the Big Ten tournament would need to nearly ~75% capacity in a NHL sized arena at ~$35/game average to match the per team gross revenue as the WCHA tournament generates currently.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              Who doesn't pull that crap?
              Wisconsin for one.

I'm not blaming Minnesota. Their market supports it, so they do it. That wouldn't fly here as Madison is smaller and hockey isn't a big ticket.

There are some nominal fees to be between the blue lines, but they're chump change compared to football and hoops.

My point is that UM may not be as generous as we'd all like them to be. I know for a fact that Wisconsin won't go out of its way to help other programs if revenue is at stake. That's just reality.

Comment

The financial advantages totally disappear for UW and MN if another school or two join, as it stands, the Big Ten tournament would need to nearly ~75% capacity in a NHL sized arena at ~$35/game average to match the per team gross revenue as the WCHA tournament generates currently.
                By cash generators, I meant during the regular season and this is assuming playing more home games than they currently do. I guarantee you that Dollar Alvarez is already looking into more home games and its effect on the bottom line.

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
                  Because it's a move about more than just hockey and the hockey budget.
                  I fail to see how this will boost distributions from the BTN either, considering the costs associated with live productions and the marginal increase in ad revenue. Account for the loss of the individual TV deals for the schools, and financial advantages shrink even more.

I fail to see how this improves that Big Ten's brand at all, hockey just doesn't have the national following.

Comment

That maybe so, but does MN and WIS have a choice if the 3 others plus Big101112 want the BTHC. and possibly by 2014-15 it could be 6 others plus the Big101112 against MN and WIS.

Comment

Wisconsin for one.

I'm not blaming Minnesota. Their market supports it, so they do it. That wouldn't fly here as Madison is smaller and hockey isn't a big ticket.

There are some nominal fees to be between the blue lines, but they're chump change compared to football and hoops.

My point is that UM may not be as generous as we'd all like them to be. I know for a fact that Wisconsin won't go out of its way to help other programs if revenue is at stake. That's just reality.
                      Wisconsin has no "little brothers" to care about like Minnesota. Minnesota has MSUM, SCSU, UMD and BSU. Maturi understands the situation...although who knows how much long he will have a job if the football and basketball teams don't improve and start contending.
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by sbkbghockey View Post
                        That maybe so, but does MN and WIS have a choice if the 3 others plus Big101112 want the BTHC. and possibly by 2014-15 it could be 6 others plus the Big101112 against MN and WIS.
                        Make no mistake. Wisconsin wants a BTHC. Maybe the fans don't, but the athletic department does.

Comment

Make no mistake. Wisconsin wants a BTHC. Maybe the fans don't, but the Barry Alvarez does.
                          FYP

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            FYP
                            We hates him, yes we does, my precious.

Comment

I fail to see how this will boost distributions from the BTN either, considering the costs associated with live productions and the marginal increase in ad revenue. Account for the loss of the individual TV deals for the schools, and financial advantages shrink even more.

I fail to see how this improves that Big Ten's brand at all, hockey just doesn't have the national following.
                              It adds revenue because these schools produce those games anyway. UW essentially does it for their jumbotron as it is.

Since the conference owns the network, there is no middle man - costs are much lower.

There's also no guarantee that all local broadcasts will cease.

Bottom line is this - the BTN has been a smashing success, and I think the bigwigs there have more accurate numbers than you do.

And adding Penn State is a huge boost to the Big Ten brand - and the perception of college hockey. Penn State has a huge alumni base and is very popular in Pennsylvania and the Mid-Atlantic. This is a huge development. Huge, I say!
                              "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

By cash generators, I meant during the regular season and this is assuming playing more home games than they currently do. I guarantee you that Dollar Alvarez is already looking into more home games and its effect on the bottom line.
                                They will, I expect most of the BT teams to try and push ~22+ home games (of a 34 game schedule). I wonder if any of the teams will start agreeing to regular trips up to one of the Alaska schools to get the exemption.

Comment

Working...
                                X