X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Ten Hockey Conference

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    As much as I hate for UW to leave the WCHA, I think that playing 4 games against Michigan and Michigan State each season will make up for losing to North Dakota and Denver.
    FYP
    "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

"I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
      Play preferences:

UND/DU vs. UMich....even
      CC/UMD vs. MSU....edge CC/UMD
      SCSU/BSU vs. OSU....edge SCSU/BSU
      MSM/UNO vs. PSU...edge MSM/UNO

Ya...I'd rather stay in the WCHA...sorry, but outside of MI/WI I just don't care about the other Big Ten schools. .
      This is my feeling as well.
      Originally posted by CavalryNate
      Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
      sigpic

Comment

I would actually give the advantage to the WCHA schools in each one of those matchups. I love the DU and UND rivalries.
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
          Minnesota and Wisconsin want to bail on the WCHA for a better deal, but they don't want other schools to do the same thing.
          I would be very surprised if anyone from the University of Minnesota would lead the charge to form a BTHC. I think they realize they have it pretty sweet right now. They get to play all the successful Big 10 programs each year anyway. Forming a conference just to add games against OSU and a new Penn St. program can't have huge appeal. Plus, they have their rivalry with UND, and the nice little set up of being the big school surrounded by a bunch of other MN schools in the same conference.

I have heard absolutely nothing that suggests that the MN program wants this, and I'd be surprised if most of their hockey fans weren't at least partially opposed to it.

Lucia's comments, which basically took the realistic view that Penn St. is not adding hockey without some foresight into who they'd like to join in a conference certainly can't be construed as some sort of institutional desire to bolt the WCHA in favor of a BTHC.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            I would be very surprised if anyone from the University of Minnesota would lead the charge to form a BTHC. I think they realize they have it pretty sweet right now. They get to play all the successful Big 10 programs each year anyway. Forming a conference just to add games against OSU and a new Penn St. program can't have huge appeal. Plus, they have their rivalry with UND, and the nice little set up of being the big school surrounded by a bunch of other MN schools in the same conference.

I have heard absolutely nothing that suggests that the MN program wants this, and I'd be surprised if most of their hockey fans weren't at least partially opposed to it.

Lucia's comments, which basically took the realistic view that Penn St. is not adding hockey without some foresight into who they'd like to join in a conference certainly can't be construed as some sort of institutional desire to bolt the WCHA in favor of a BTHC.

You're right that Minny will not "lead the charge" for the BTHC. They'll stand in the background and might even voice some token opposition to it for political reasons. In the end, they'll do what's best for the entire athletic department, which happens to be exactly what's best for the Big Ten and the Big Ten Network.

They are not going to risk the golden goose for hockey. Sorry, that's just not how any athletic department with major football and men's b-ball programs (not to mention a new stadium) is going to act. If their AD can't get on board, then he'll get whacked and go find a job working for the WCHA office or go back to Miami of Ohio where he can focus on an athletic department where hockey drives the bus.

Comment

USCHO.com is saying Penn State starts hockey next Fall to help get the fundraising ball rolling. Looks like $80 million isn't enough.

If anyone thinks that another big school can start a hockey program without a miracle donor, they are crazy. Sounds like it will take $100 million to start the program, fund the scholies, pay the coaches/staff and build the arena.

The plan is to start play as a varsity program next fall, but that is predicated on a coach being in place and Title IX issues being resolved. The list of potential coaches is impressive, and having a coach in place by Thanksgiving is possible.

There is still money needed to be raised, and that will see the team on the road a lot in the first season, playing in areas where alums can see games, possibly in NHL buildings. “Maybe play Princeton in Philly or Ohio State in Pittsburgh, go to areas where we can attract recruits and raise money from alums,” the source said.
              Read more: http://www.uscho.com/news/college-ho...#ixzz0znYjc5eW
              Last edited by dggoddard; 09-17-2010, 09:55 AM.

Comment

USCHO.com is saying Penn State starts hockey next Fall to help get the fundraising ball rolling. Looks like $80 million isn't enough.

If anyone thinks that another big school can start a hockey program without a miracle donor, they are crazy. Sounds like it will take $100 million to start the program, fund the scholies, pay the coaches/staff and build the arena.

How much would that $$ number go down if there was already a viable arena to use, so a new one wouldn't have to be built? I would guess it is a much more reasonable number.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if the big hurdle is Title IX and the fund raising is to be able to afford the costs of the women's team.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                    How much would that $$ number go down if there was already a viable arena to use, so a new one wouldn't have to be built? I would guess it is a much more reasonable number.
                    Notre Dame is building theirs for approximately $50 Mil. for approx. 5,000
                    Miami's was $36 Mil. for 3,200
                    Agganis was $225 Mil.* for 6,220
                    *(for the entire sports complex. No breakout of just the arena)
                    Engelstad Arena was $104 Mil. for 11,640

So you can ballpark that the earlier estimates of $70 Mil for the arena (of around 6,000 to 7,000) is pretty close. Approximately $10,000 per person you plan on seating.

$20 Mil sounds like it's for an account to write scholarships from the INTEREST only, kick-start paying coaches and staff, and be able to pay the team for the first couple years until it becomes self-sustaining. Or at least until it gets its hooks into the Big10 money from Football and Basketball.
                    Last edited by aparch; 09-17-2010, 10:07 AM.
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      I guess if schools like Indiana or Illinois are going to build new hoops arenas with their Big Ten Cable money, they could incorporate a hockey rink into the design.

DU's Arena/Sports Complex was $77 million (Built 1999) or around $100 million if you built it today.
                      Last edited by dggoddard; 09-17-2010, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Without reading all of this and seeing that the BTHC WILL happen in the near future...what's going to happen to the smaller programs left behind in the WCHA/CCHA?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          Without reading all of this and seeing that the BTHC WILL happen in the near future...what's going to happen to the smaller programs left behind in the WCHA/CCHA?
                          Its all in this thread. The good, the bad and the ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                            That's what's been the discussion spreading across at least a dozen threads. No one seems to know.

I do know that there IS worry within the CCHA's smaller schools. Including one I thought could survive this.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Well, if you get Indiana and Illinois both adding hockey as well, that gives you 8 Big Ten schools playing hockey. There is simply no way that 8 conference members would not form their own conference.

Regarding arenas - Indiana is in the market for a new basketball arena, and adding ice-making capabilities shouldn't be a problem.

I don't think Illinois is in need of a new basketball arena, but the current U of I ice arena has a huge ice sheet (something like 115 feet wide) and could probably be reasonably re-sized to NHL dimensions, making room for more bleachers, etc.

Dave Starman notes that one of the reasons why Penn State did not add hockey earlier was their short-sighted decision to not include ice-making at the Bryce Jordan Center.
                              "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                                I do know that there IS worry within the CCHA's smaller schools. Including one I thought could survive this.
                                We've always known that Ferris, LSSU, WMU and BGSU have been teetering. Who else is on that list?
                                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                                X