X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Ten Hockey Conference

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
    Sounds like Penn State to begin play as an independent and not join the CCHA.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10259/1087965-143.stm
    I would be very surprised if they pushed ahead with a 2011 start, unless they announce a coaching hire within the next month. 2012 wouldn't be so surprising, and would allow an independant year in the old rink before joining whatever conference in time for their building opening, as we all have been told, in 2013...
    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
    B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
    CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
    ECAC:
    HEA: UMass
    NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
    Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

I think what everyone should glean from this (and other) threads is that, apparently, Minnesota fans really do have the right to be arrogant, since the only way UND and Denver (not to mention the rest of the schools in the WCHA) have any chance of surviving is if they (and WI) are around

Minnesota and Wisconsin Hockey: We are only arrogant because you need us so badly
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        Wow Barry Alvarez is a doosh.
        No arguments here. Pat Richter'd better be enjoying his retirement.
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE
          Lammy is my daddy: Co-Founder of the Philippe Lamoureux Fan Club

IALTO

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
            Do you expect a drop in the success level of Denver though?
            Yep.

Well, maybe not DU for sure, but definitely for the weakened CCHA teams. NMU already faces troubles recruiting because some kids "Want to play against Minnesota/NoDak/Wisconsin" and turn down a good deal with the 'Cats to go to WCHA schools.

The 'Cats have also lucked into getting recruits that specifically state that they want to play against Michigan/Michigan State. Or that they do NOT want to play against NoDak/Minnesota regularly.

If kids are picking schools based on who they do play ALREADY, then there will definitely be a drop off of kids that will want to join. "Oooh, you play four games a year against Bowling Green, Robert Morris, AND Lake State? AND I'll be your top center? I'll take my chances with limited minutes elsewhere."

On the flip side, after a couple years of recruiting, we're going to be right back to where we are. Great kids who decide to attend these "Mid-Major" schools because the schools of their dreams (BigTen) have a glut of players and wouldn't give the kid the time of day. Can a Lake State or Bowling Green survive ANOTHER downfall in recruiting?
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Well, no dates were given, but I think we have a definitive time-line of just when a BigTen Conference would form.

http://www.ccha.com/ccha_extends_lon...s_detroit.aspx

The Central Collegiate Hockey Association (CCHA) announced today a new agreement with FOX Sports Detroit that will continue to showcase conference games on the regional sports network for many years to come.
              "FOX Sports Detroit is synonymous with outstanding hockey coverage as personified by the 10 Michigan Emmy Awards, including two more this year, won by the network for CCHA programming," noted CCHA Commissioner Tom Anastos. "The network has worked tirelessly over the years to promote the conference’s member institutions, teams, student-athletes and the sport of hockey. We look forward to enhancing our relationship in the coming years."

The 2010-11 lineup on FOX Sports Detroit and FOX Sports Detroit PLUS includes 11 regular-season games from five different CCHA campuses along with a first-round playoff game followed by the drama and excitement from the CCHA Championship at Joe Louis Arena on March 18-19 with coverage of both semifinals and the title game.

"FOX Sports Detroit and the CCHA have been in lockstep since the network’s launch in 1997 and we’re proud and excited to extend that relationship," said Greg Hammaren, Senior Vice President/General Manager, FOX Sports Detroit. "Our 2010-11 coverage is particularly anticipated with most telecasts delivered for the first time in high-definition. From the ‘Big Chill at the Big House’ to the CCHA Championship weekend and all games in between, it shapes up as a terrific season for college hockey fans in our region."
              Fox Sports Detroit wouldn't gamble on too long term of a contract if it's going to lose it's bread and butter. Yeah, yeah, I know "many years" could mean three, just in time for the BTHC, but I get the feeling this is for at least five years if not longer. Why mention a long term deal if you know that Penn State will never play a game in your league?
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

You'd have to think that FSD has some sort of a buyout or other protection in the event of substantial change in conference membership.
                Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Probably wouldn't be too difficult to change the contract. 49% of the BTN is owned by Fox Entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by mksioux View Post
                    No different than what's going on with the rest of college athletics right now and all the conference re-shuffling. The whole point of athletic conferences is that it's a big deal who you play against.
                    i thought the big deal wasn't who you play against, but who'll let you play in a bcs conference for football.

basketball doesn't matter, so that doesn't even come into play (as kansas in the big 12 is and has been superior to any big 10 team for decades - same with duke and unc in the "only above the big east" football acc). the conference dances are for football (ie, bowl championship games) only.

i can see the points DU guys are making where they feel they are getting kids who seem to go there to only compete against the gophs and bucky... but Gwoz has to be doing something to prepare them for the nhl other than getting to say, "alright boys, rest up-we get bucky this weekend!" BU plays in a decent conference (though not as good as the wcha ), yet they prepare kids to play in the nhl and get recruits who wish to do so - even if they do have to play against pc/nu/mc/uml/etc.
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                      Who cares if they are confused as long as they are watching and why wouldn't they watch as long as its Wisconsin, Minnesota, MSU, Michigan, PSU, OSU vs someone?
                      True, its not like the Big Ten Schools don't already play body bag games in other sports like Football and Basketball just to have a home game to fill the coffers. In the past five years alone, schools like Delawear State, Eastern Michigan, Montana State, Youngstown State, Wofford, South Dakota and Appalachian State have all make appearnces at Big Ten Stadiums. I'm sure the Joe Six-packs out there that go out there and buy season tickets at Big Ten schools will still show up for games no matter who their team is playing.
                      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by ItalianSioux View Post
                        RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE
                        Originally posted by Handyman
                        Minnesota and Wisconsin Hockey: We are only arrogant because you (UND) need us so badly
                        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Minnesota and Wisconsin Hockey: We are only arrogant because you need us so badly
                          Yes they do.

As much as I hate for UW to leave the WCHA, I think that playing 4 games against Michigan and Michigan State each season will make up for losing North Dakota and Denver.

Hate to say it, but the rest of the WCHA can be replaced with any non-cons.

How's THAT for arrogance?

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                            Sounds like Penn State to begin play as an independent and not join the CCHA.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10259/1087965-143.stm
                            Makes perfect sense to me. Why commit to a conference and then bail out a year or three later if the BTHC comes to fruition? They'll establish themselves as an independent and ride the fence until the latest talks definitively play out, at which point they'll jump to either the BTHC or CCHA.

Comment

Originally posted by KC8NIY View Post
                              Makes perfect sense to me. Why commit to a conference and then bail out a year or three later if the BTHC comes to fruition? They'll establish themselves as an independent and ride the fence until the latest talks definitively play out, at which point they'll jump to either the BTHC or CCHA.
                              It will be interesting to see what they do.
                              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                                Yes they do.

As much as I hate for UW to leave the WCHA, I think that playing 4 games against Michigan and Michigan State each season will make up for losing North Dakota and Denver.

Hate to say it, but the rest of the WCHA can be replaced with any non-cons.

How's THAT for arrogance?
                                Play preferences:

UND/DU vs. UMich....even
                                CC/UMD vs. MSU....edge CC/UMD
                                SCSU/BSU vs. OSU....edge SCSU/BSU
                                MSM/UNO vs. PSU...edge MSM/UNO

Ya...I'd rather stay in the WCHA...sorry, but outside of MI/WI I just don't care about the other Big Ten schools. But I do think the Gophs would have a better record against the potential 'goliaths' rather than the current piranhas.
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X