X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2010-2011 Season Thread

Originally posted by Jon View Post
    I'm the big scary man guy!!!

(Incidentally, where can I get my hands on a "Beat PC" t-shirt"?!?!)
    They usually sell them at the games for $10, you might have to wait until next year, they usually sell the t-shirt for the team we play that night

Comment

So, I'm new to Husky hockey, I posted a few times in the preseason thread, but due to computer issues have been away for much of the season so far. I have been to a game at Matthews which I'll admit is a pretty nice arena. Anyways so I'm too lazy to read the many pages back so forgive me if I repeat anything, but what is the deal with this team? When I saw them play they looked like they'd never been coached in their life. Now part of my problem is I come from a background following Oswego (which is a perennial powerhouse) and D3 hockey, but from what I've seen and heard of Northeastern's play this season I'd not be surprised if half the D3 teams could beat them this year. I don't expect to win every game, especially at the D1 level where it's amazing if a team can keep up a .700 record for the season let alone the .800-.900 records I'm used to at Oswego, but still to be this bad is ridiculous. I will say though that I was rather impressed by the quality of play of Rawlings, he made some stellar saves, and could be posting much better numbers if his defense gave him more support. Admittedly I have little experience with Northeastern or D1 hockey for that matter, and am saying all this on only having seen 1 game and reviewing some statistics, but it seems to me that some serious changes need to take place, and if I'm wrong in any of my claims/assumptions by all means set me straight. I just can't help but be disheartened following the Huskies this year, and am even slightly regretting my choosing Northeastern for grad school over DU.

Comment

Originally posted by osuhockeyfan View Post
        Admittedly I have little experience with Northeastern or D1 hockey for that matter, and am saying all this on only having seen 1 game and reviewing some statistics, but it seems to me that some serious changes need to take place..
        .. wow
        GO NU HOCKEY
        Always bullish on the future.
        We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

..am even slightly regretting my choosing Northeastern for grad school over DU.
          ..only slightly? I think some serious changes need to take place.. (have to abide by your standards c'mon)
          GO NU HOCKEY
          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Only slightly cause the academics and financial aid are doing a good job of outweighing the negative that is Husky hockey. Seriously though, please tell me that this year is a fluke, or something, cause it really is sad going from being at a powerhouse school that is known for dominating the sport to the dismal season that Northeastern has had so far. Now I know why when I introduced myself in the off season board I was told "welcome to the suck."

Comment

Only slightly cause the academics and financial aid are doing a good job of outweighing the negative that is Husky hockey. Seriously though, please tell me that this year is a fluke, or something, cause it really is sad going from being at a powerhouse school that is known for dominating the sport to the dismal season that Northeastern has had so far. Now I know why when I introduced myself in the off season board I was told "welcome to the suck."
              Northeastern's only ever been considered a powerhouse in the 1980's, and brief stints of strengths outside of that. This team is heavily composed of freshmen and sophmores, and we were hurt early on by injuries of players that were intended to play a lot of minutes and contribute in a big way. There was a lack of identity and that hurt the offensive lines, since they were not as coordinated as more seasoned players are. The defense has stepped up, and goaltending has been decent so far. In addition, we caught come bad breaks here and there, and took way too many penalties. All of this coalesced to put us where we are now.

However, if you saw Saturday's game you would feel a lot better. A 5-0 win is a solid boost to the team, and puts them in an excellent spot going forward. We have two, possibly 3 players who should return to the lineup soon, either just before the break or right after it. The upperclassmen have started stepping up and contributing in a way we wanted them to, and the underclassmen are playing better, and more coordinated. The special teams have been good the past few games, and that's really been helping us.

In summary, while we aren't in a great position right now, I think we could be looking on the start of the swing upward.

Comment

..the academics and financial aid are doing a good job of outweighing the negative that is Husky hockey...
                ..now see, those first two are horrible reasons to go to school. You should def consider a transfer.
                GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

That does make for a more hopeful situation, though I still question the quality of Northeastern's coaching. Looking back, the best record posted by any coach for the school is a measly .483 career. Not one coach has been able to maintain at least a .500 throughout their tenure. While there are some decent players such as Rawlings and MacLeod, I question the recruiting skills of the coaching staff. I'll admit that Freshmen often take time to get adjusted to the style of play and are usually not as impressive or well developed as upperclassmen but that still doesn't explain why no freshman has more than 4 points thus far. I guess I'm just spoiled having gone to Oswego, especially after last year where we had 12 freshmen 3 of whom had over 20 points on the season, and we still made it to the Frozen Four. When I see a team like Northeastern I just think of what they could do if they had a good coach behind them.

Comment

That does make for a more hopeful situation, though I still question the quality of Northeastern's coaching. Looking back, the best record posted by any coach for the school is a measly .483 career. Not one coach has been able to maintain at least a .500 throughout their tenure. While there are some decent players such as Rawlings and MacLeod, I question the recruiting skills of the coaching staff. I'll admit that Freshmen often take time to get adjusted to the style of play and are usually not as impressive or well developed as upperclassmen but that still doesn't explain why no freshman has more than 4 points thus far. I guess I'm just spoiled having gone to Oswego, especially after last year where we had 12 freshmen 3 of whom had over 20 points on the season, and we still made it to the Frozen Four. When I see a team like Northeastern I just think of what they could do if they had a good coach behind them.
                    I'd actually argue that recruiting is one of Cronin's strong suits. He's recently been able to grab a number of highly touted recruits, many of whom had offers from top programs like BU, Michigan, etc. Quailer chose Northeastern over Denver, despite living in Colorado. Oleksiak could be a first round draft pick, and every game there's been scouts up in the rafters taking notes. I've been keeping an eye on recruiting (having a lot of free time allows me to do so), and whenever I see top players being looked at by schools, you see the schools in contention are the traditional powers (BU, UNH, Michigan, Miami, Denver, BC, etc.) and then Northeastern. The next few years I feel you'll see a lot of draft picks coming through the school. We could have as many as 4 or 5 of our Defensemen being draft picks next year, and we'll likely have at least 2 or 3.

The reason Northeastern's record is spotty at best is because we're in an ultra-competitive league. BU, BC, UNH consistently make the NCAA playoffs. Vermont and Maine are strong programs with lots of players in the NHL, and with plenty of visits to the NCAA tournament as well, and schools like Merrimack, UMass, and UMass Lowell have programs on the rise, while Providence has a strong history as well. This makes it hard for Northeastern to carve out a winning record amongst all that, but I believe this is a program on the upswing.

Comment

Originally posted by RossiRules View Post
                      I totally disagree with you, I have 2 sons who played at a top public HS programs in West of the City in Needham before doing PG years and soon to top jr programs out West. In fact 2 of the last 3 years a public HS has been in or won the Super 8 that has never happened before. However, after 10th grade the cream of the crop is out of MA HS hockey doing their final time or PG years at spots like Avon Old Farms, Kent and St. Sebs., and Shatick St Mary's the list goes on, then its 2 or 3 years in the Jr's and bam you’re a 22 y/o freshman in a top college program.

When I played the freshman were 18 not 23, and they didn't come from states like Florida, Mo, Cali and Maryland. Today they do. The hockey powers have changed, you’re not going to get your entire team at a Arlington/Malden Catholic or CM. Heck in th elate 70's and early 80's Jerry York used to cherry pick those schools, however, if he did that today his team would be crap. The issue is this MA hockey is no longer a power because other states are catching up. There now are terrific jr teams all over the country but you look at the rosters they are filled with kids from NE, however they came from prep schools not public and Catholic schools.
                      Ahh, I think our difference is in semantics. I agree that MA High School hockey has certainly dropped it's level of play but overall there are plenty of good hockey players coming from MA, it's just they choose the preps or juniors these days. Long gone are the days of a goalie playing high school hockey in MA and then moving on to the NHL the next season. Seems around late 90's was when players stopped heading straight from high school to D1 hockey and started with the post grad and junior routes that almost everyone takes now.

BTW, you missed a good game Saturday night...

Comment

I understand that Hockey East is a pretty tough conference, but interestingly enough 2 of the schools you have mentioned have lost players to Oswego in just the last year. I know I'm probably comparing Northeastern to Oswego far more than I should. It is interesting to hear that Cronin has been stealing players away from some of the big name schools, perhaps there is hope yet.

Comment

From Sebastian LaPlante:
                          “Chris Rawlings earned his 1st shutout of the season stopping 29 shots on Saturday night. An important stat that will make many of our supporters happy is our PP was 5 for 12 this weekend; which brings our year-to-date percentage to 16% after a dismal start.
                          Jamie Oleksiak continues to draw serious attention from NHL scouts with his play as he had another solid game defensively and contributing offensively with our 5th goal. Jamie was born in late ’92, yes the 6’7”-240# defenseman doesn’t turn 18 until December 22nd and will be eligible for the NHL draft in June 2011. A draft expert on NHL.com. recently predicted Jamie would be drafted 28th overall!
                          Last edited by roma; 11-22-2010, 05:31 PM.

Comment

NU @ Vermont Thanksgiving weekend..

who will go 'wobble wobble wobble'..
                            who will go 'gobble, gobble, gobble'..

should be interesting to see if we can keep the (PC gm) momentum going on the road. I suspect it'll be close to a sellout regardless if student body is off, as the Gutt serves more as a wknd sports venue for more than just the students.
                            And yes, i was too lazy to start a gm thread in a short holiday wk.

Go Huskies.. let's keep it going.
                            Happy Thanksgiving everyone
                            GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Rob Dongara ; HE Rookie of the week. It has been brought to my attention that we only have 7 healthy D men. Can a player be accepted at NU in time to play after the first of the year? If so how about Ben Oskroba from Lincoln USHl?

Comment

Originally posted by roma View Post
                                Rob Dongara ; HE Rookie of the week. It has been brought to my attention that we only have 7 healthy D men. Can a player be accepted at NU in time to play after the first of the year? If so how about Ben Oskroba from Lincoln USHl?
                                Oskroba seems the most ready to go: Haar was questionable to come even next year and Renz got back from an injury recently. Of course, we thought Oskroba might need some time to prepare for next year as well. If the coaches decide they will need another D-man for the rest of the year, Oskroba will probably be their guy, unless they try and recruit someone else, which seems kind of unlikely.

Comment

Working...
                                X