Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The University of Vermont Official 2010-2011 Season Thread : Part 1

Originally posted by GreenCat View Post
    There is no reason we can't compete with UNH and ME for recruits. What is so different between those programs, schools, locations than UVM?
    *****http://oi54.tinypic.com/28vvm9w.jpg******

source: USCHO history pages for the above teams; *: there is overlap between "NCAA appearances" and "final fours" as the NCAA field was only four in '77, '79, and '82
    Last edited by ClOuD 9; 12-07-2010, 07:08 PM. Reason: corrected number of NCAA appearances by Maine and New Hampshire
    "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
    Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
    NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
    EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
    AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
    1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

All true, but I think it is the rink that holds back a blue chipper more than anything.

Charter Member of the Catamount Hockey Bandwagon! GO CATS GO!

Comment

• Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
        Congrats to Connor Brickley on being invited to the USA World Junior Preliminary Camp!
        And in related news we still suck........

Comment

Originally posted by HOCKEYGUY23 View Post
          And in related news we still suck........
          You sandbagging sons of B's better put out tomorrow night, an entire forum is counting on the cats to silence Gale's rubes.

"The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
          Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
          The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
          Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Been a couple weeks since I've chimed in, not due to lack of interest or frustration about the losing.

Totally support the benching of Stacey. He's dogged it every night this season, sorry, even when he was the only one scoring for a stretch early on he was loafing. Don't see practice but can assume it was more of the same. This young team needs examples of older guys putting in the effort day in and day out, shift after shift (see Brett Leonard). Bc's first goal the previous Sunday was an undressing of Wahs on a face-off that should never happen. I like Wahs Stacey and want to see him back in the line-up, but I completely support the decision to keep him out until he proves playing time is owned not inherited. When he was a soph he played a lot like the captain that year, Dean Strong, blocking shots at all costs on the PK and doing all the little things that a team needs. I had hoped he would have continued on that path and become the next Strong, a leader. I hope he isn't pouting or thinking he's been snubbed right now but looking at it like, yeah, I've let the team, the staff, and myself down by not giving all I've got. It didn't come as a surprise when his name was not in the line-up Sunday.

At the other end of the spectrum is Brett Leonard. This kid should have a C on his jersey. Everything you want in an upperclassman. Coach must love having this guy on the team, can constantly use him as an example of heart, determination, hard work, and never say die attitude. He has been great every single game this season, Sunday the Burrows, Nilson-Roos, Leonard line was clearly the best line. Too bad Leonard is a senior, team needs to look for the next Brett Leonard...maybe a Nilson-Roos.

Had really hoped the defense as a core would be dominating this season in all three zones. I think they kind of peaked 2 years ago and really haven't taken a next step since. They are all good players but just had hoped to see them evolve after solid starts as underclassman. 2 years ago I would have told you Miller, Medvec, Lawson, and MacKenzie all had great shots of playing in the NHL, not so sure any one of them will at this point. I know, they will all get a chance to enhance their skills in a different climate and level but at uvm they've hit a ceiling..maybe that's coaching, I honestly don'y know and i guess time will tell.

Although this post seems somewhat negative and pesimistic, I do continue to believe in the team and their ability to make this a positive season. 3 years ago, the team hit a dismal point in the season in early January at BC where it didn't seem they would ever complete another pass speak nothing of winning a game, and that was the year they went on to play BC in the final so there is a lot of hockey to be played and a lot of opportunities to shape amd mold this team into a winner. the goal should be to get into the playoffs, just get into the playoffs.

Comment

Personally, I don't want to see Stacey blocking shots, that is how he gets hurt most of the time.

Charter Member of the Catamount Hockey Bandwagon! GO CATS GO!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin St. Louis Fan View Post
                All true, but I think it is the rink that holds back a blue chipper more than anything.
                I know before the economic downturn there was talk of building an 8.5k seat multi-purpose (hockey/basketball/concerts) facility in Burlington, has that since been rubbished?
                "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
                  I know before the economic downturn there was talk of building an 8.5k seat multi-purpose (hockey/basketball/concerts) facility in Burlington, has that since been rubbished?
                  It's still in the "talk" stage. Actually the University put out a RFI on alternative funding options for it. It would be multi-purpose and seat around 6K.
                  Originally posted by Hokydad
                  Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

I would love for Burlington to get a good multipurpose arena. There's no better city in New England, and this would only make it that much cooler!

Comment

As a fan of the worst team in HE the last few years I have watched in amazement as the Vermont program has unravelled of late.

A few years ago I thought that but for Stalberg the team was mediocre at best, so this slide may have started years ago and Stalberg's presence prevented it from becoming apparent.

Yes UVM made the Final Four in 2009 but they kind of backed into the NCAA's after a bad showing against UML in the HE tourney. They didn't have to do much to get into the Frozen Four as Stalberg beat Yale by himself and Air Force was not that strong an opponent.

My point is not to bash UVM. I have great respect for the program and its history and its long list of great players from St. Louis to Stalberg.

The rink is not the issue as Gutterson is a great place to play and always (at least when I have visited) sold out with an enthusiastic crowd.

And with such a great city and campus, and proximity to Quebec, recruiting should be easy--there is no reaosn for UVM to lose a recruit to anyone other than BU and BC, who will always get pretty much whomever they want. But beyond BU and BC, UVM should be getting the best players out there, and they obviously are not. Even in the Stalberg years I thought the defense was porous and the goaltending questionable, and aside from a few guys with great hustle there wasn't all that much talent.

I have no clue about your coach but he seems like a balanced guy that kids would want to play for, and the teams seem pretty well coached, so I can only conclude that the recruiting has gone badly awry. Let's face it, the games are generally won before they are played--the team with the best players is going to win 90% of the time. So it all comes down to recruiting.

For UVM to have one HE win on December 8th is almost inconceivable.

That's my 2 cents. I wish UVM and its fans well and hope there is a major turnaround the rest of the season .

Comment

Originally posted by czeckthebody View Post
                        Yes UVM made the Final Four in 2009 but they kind of backed into the NCAA's after a bad showing against UML in the HE tourney. They didn't have to do much to get into the Frozen Four as Stalberg beat Yale by himself and Air Force was not that strong an opponent.
                        Get your popcorn here!
                        Originally posted by reBlur
                        the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                          Get your popcorn here!
                          LOL. Love your response.

Despite the quote about the 2009 Final Four team, which I heartily disagree with, he makes some good points. UVM should never lose a recruit to any team in HE other than BC & BU. The school, the campus, the City of Burlington, it's a great place to play and study! With all the things UVM has going for it, I'm continually baffled that they can't seem to recruit players with a knack for scoring. Although there have been recent exceptions (Mitchell, Stalberg, etc.), UVM always seems to be challenged offensively.

Despite their troubles with UML, the 2009 Cats were a very good team. They were a whisker away from playing in the NC game by being up on BU late in the game before blowing it.

Comment

Originally posted by czeckthebody View Post
                            -there is no reaosn for UVM to lose a recruit to anyone other than BU and BC, who will always get pretty much whomever they want. But beyond BU and BC, UVM should be getting the best players out there, and they obviously are not.
                            Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                            UVM should never lose a recruit to any team in HE other than BC & BU. .
                            please tell me you're kidding
                            (this is coming from someone who loves the campus and city of Burlington)

History and reputation come into play here too
                            Last edited by WildShawn; 12-08-2010, 06:19 PM.

Comment

... and facilities and coaches and academics and location and ...

I think that statement is crazy too.
                              Originally posted by reBlur
                              the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                                ... and facilities and coaches and academics and location and ...

I think that statement is crazy too.
                                Orono, Maine? Durham, NH? UNH and UMaine consistently are below UVM in Academic rankings and the Vermont campus is fantastic along with the city of Burlington. I am not sure what your point is here? Timmay is not loved in ME and Umile is not exactly Jerry York or Jack Parker?

Again, yes ME and UNH have a longer history but your average 18 yr old recruit probably doesn't see much beyond the last 5 years and obviously the move to HE and a new emphasis on the program at Vermont along with NCAA appearances should be improving the attractiveness.

We (the posters) are not taking away from UNH and ME simply stating we should be able to recruit as well as them based on being a like them in many criteria (again outside of the 30 year history).

Facilities? Orono is not a great rink but I would say UNH is a step above iwith the Whittamore but it is a bit stale there. I think UVM could use a facility of that size. 8-9K seats would be a bad idea.
                                Last edited by GreenCat; 12-08-2010, 09:28 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Working...
                                X