THE University of Michigan 2010-2011 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE University of Michigan 2010-2011 Season Thread

Noticed this in the NYTimes and it got me thinking about the scrambling to catch the play-off games from other regions.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010...r=1&ref=sports

All 88 NCAA sports available online sounds good.
    He is as cool as a bomb disposal technician!

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post

Oh, the humanity....

Seriously, I have some heavy family connections to the U of Michigan, and have long cheered on the Wolvies in football. I was a kid in the '70s when Mike Lantry's leg taught me the horrors of having a Michigan passion, a Michigan pain I felt for years until it was eased in 1997-1998, when I was in the Rose Bowl that afternoon when M erased the pain with a perfect football season..

Little did I know how Michigan would inflict new, far more horrible pain in beating my own school in hockey. Those DU NCAA hockey losses to the Wolverines still haunt me far worse then Mike Lantry ever did. DU went up 3-0 in 99 in Worcester, and then Berenson calls a timeout, and suddenly it's 5-3 Michigan. Season over. Then, the 2002 meltdown game at Yost, our NCAA reward for being a top seed that year. I still see Jed Ortmeyer crushing our top ranked team and ruining a great DU season...

Both games still grind me at the core of my soul...
      Sorry Swami, but I'm with the Michigan hockey fans on this one.
      Seeing Ortmeyer's huge smile while he was in the net after following his goal in there is one of my favorite memories.

Originally posted by d4rksabre View Post
      Hey alfa, did pictures from the Posters game ever surface?
      That reminds me, I have some Posters game pictures I should upload somewhere so others can view/take what they want. It's only 5 1/2 months later at this point, maybe I'll get to it in a few months.

9 days until hockey!
      Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
      wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
      7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
        Normally (non-televised) the 7:35 starts at Yost usually end almost exactly at 9:50 or 9:55. Nevertheless it does not compare to the molasses-like pace of the televised games.
        Get ready for a change this season. In an effort to standardize play, every single CCHA game will have the three TV timeouts inserted per period, whether the game is televised or not. There is a news release to this effect on the CCHA web page. Apparently, the WCHA also has this rule.

http://www.ccha.com/ccha_to_continue...gue_play_.aspx

I remember the days of the NHL having seven 30-second breaks per period--they were pretty much seamless if you were at the game and even if you were watching on TV. In the early '90s or so, they went to three 75-second breaks, which are not seamless at all. I would certainly support going back to the shorter breaks, but for some reason the TV people don't like it. It's not an increase in the number of commercials--that stayed pretty much the same.

The same issue is true in football--an average half of football has almost enough natural break time (timeouts, changes of possession, scoring plays, etc.) to fit in all of the commercial time the networks use, but instead the networks concentrate the commercials into just a handful of the natural breaks.

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

--The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

Comment

Originally posted by Alton View Post
          Get ready for a change this season. In an effort to standardize play, every single CCHA game will have the three TV timeouts inserted per period, whether the game is televised or not. There is a news release to this effect on the CCHA web page. Apparently, the WCHA also has this rule.
          Makes a big difference in the coaching of the game as well. Teams can roll two lines far more often.

In the last half of the third period coaches can use their timeout to play their top line almost constantly.

All this led to lower scoring in the WCHA IMO.
          Last edited by dggoddard; 09-23-2010, 11:15 AM.

Comment

What's the word on Wolverine hockey? Contender this year for the F4? I saw Hagelin on the Hobey watch but I haven't gotten to see him play, could someone talk to the UM AD and schedule a game with UND one of these years? I like this thread, I haven't seen Happy on here once and it has lead to a lack of dooosh baggery
            "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
            Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
            The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
            Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
              That reminds me, I have some Posters game pictures I should upload somewhere so others can view/take what they want. It's only 5 1/2 months later at this point, maybe I'll get to it in a few months.

9 days until hockey!
              Yeah you should do that

The Yost facebook page keeps posting open skates times on my live feed. I loved playing in your old school barn. Good luck Blue!
              e^x, dx/dy, Janni wants some apple pie

Go Tigers.

Comment

Originally posted by d4rksabre View Post
                Hey alfa, did pictures from the Posters game ever surface?

Also, I figured you guys might appreciate this little snag I made the other day:

http://item.ebay.com/230517611013
                We've posted all the ones Mrs Alfa took, and a few from my parents. I was hoping a few others were taking pictures.

Like, say wT....

Comment

Quick question about the season tickets-

Did anyone notice that we have TWO GAMES THIS WEEKEND?!?!?!?!?

Wow, that came fast.

Hope to see you all there.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                    Quick question about the season tickets-

Wow, that came fast.

Hope to see you all there.
                    Yes I did notice! I also noticed that we have a D1 game before the exhibition game. I feel like I saw Mercyhurst play in our first weekend last year. They didn't look so great against the Alaska schools then.

"hockey, hockey, hockey, hockey, hockey, hockey, hockey, hockey,
                    hockey all the time SATURDAY!"
                    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                    7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                      Yeppers!
                      Sat. night and a rare Sun afternoon.
                      Then off for 9 days until the NTDP game
                      Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
                      Row 1
                      Seats 6 & 7
                      Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

USAToday preseason poll

http://insidecollegehockey.com/5Poll...otherpolls.htm
                        Row 1
                        Seats 6 & 7

Comment

very good article reminding us of a few things we might have forgot since March and one very significant thing making this year different from the previous 15 or so.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new.../29_return.php
                          Row 1
                          Seats 6 & 7

Comment

CCHA pre-season honors

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...9/28_miami.php
                            Row 1
                            Seats 6 & 7

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaIaprvl9E4

Comment

Nice video man, especially the first 90 seconds of highlights . I'm sure we can expect some more great competitive games between our two schools again this season. And man, Linkin Park definitely sucks now.

Comment

Working...
                                X