Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: THE University of Michigan 2010-2011 Season Thread

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
    Friday night was ugly, Saturday wasn't bad. Hopefully the butt-kicking Western gave us was a wake-up call.

Here's hoping that we get another shot at Miami in the NC game!
    Saturday could have been just as bad if it wasn't for Hunwick. He got hung out to dry the last half of the game and made 5-6 huge saves. If our boys don't stop being cute in our defensive zone and in the neutral zone and learn to just chip the puck out when they are tired, they're gonna get bounced by UNO fast. Too many times they couldn't clear the zone and it pinned them in, creating multiple scoring chances. They also had too many bad line/defensive changes and got caught in transition. Our offense is predicated on head manning the puck quickly out of our defensive zone and creating speed in the neutral zone. If the opponent isn't giving us that, then you have to dump and chase it. Pretty simple stuff, especially when protecting a lead. If you don't have a guy going to get the puck, it's like a turnover. We'll get eaten alive by BC if we survive UNO.

I don't get it- all of a sudden our defense appears to be tentative in making the decision to pinch or give up the line, too. We'll need to scratch and claw for offense, especially since our PP stinks. Don't need to play from behind, too. Have to say it, but Merrill is starting to look more like a freshman and less like the calm, dependable defenseman he was earlier this season. Too non-chalant, and that dumb move dumping the net friday to put us down 5x3 was costly. Our youth really hurt us back there on Friday with Burlon out... doesn't seem like our opponents are afraid to camp out in front of the net without paying a price and our forwards didn't backcheck very well, either.

Overall, I didn't see a whole lot of good things this weekend other than the team gutting out a win yesterday over a shell shocked team. They just capitalized on their breaks more than ND did and probably got more luck, although you couldn't prove that to me by that first goal ND scored.

Comment

Frozen four!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Talk about a good time to play our best game of the season. Could've easily been 8-1. Kudos to Rust's line, the defensemen and Hunwick for pretty much completely shutting down that top line. Just the one PP goal and only a handful of shots. Absolutely phenomenal defending. And of course Scooter for the goal of the year.

If they play like they did tonight Michigan can absolutely beat ND/DU.

Comment

Congratulations guys! from your pals at RIT. Let's Go Blue!
          e^x, dx/dy, Janni wants some apple pie

Go Tigers.

Comment

What a fabulous weekend. In the region of death we play five brilliant periods of hockey plus a good overtime and make it all the way. This is the time for Michigan to peak, and did they ever. Except for scoring actual goals--that peak is about 12 and 14 days out. This CC game wasn't nearly as close as the score said it was. Outstanding.

The Frozen Four is our birthright, a Tenth National Title is our destiny. There are no moral victories, this is our year. It's great to be a Michigan Wolverine!
            Jesus Saves

Comment

I'm thinking Michigan all the way.

Comment

I agree that was their best game of the year. Everyone was back-checking, solid passes (mostly), and that goal by Scooter was Zetterbergesque. Treais has to bury those clear breakaways though.

Looks like we get at least one more game live. Only other time I saw them at the FF Sauer got pulled and Hogan played well off the bench, but we still lost to ND. WE'll need to find some offense. 2 goals isn't going to cut it the rest of the way.

Does anyone have a tougher road to the NC than Michigan? 3 WCHA teams and a possible 4th if tUMD wins.
                Last edited by Wol4ine; 03-26-2011, 11:42 PM.
                No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Helluva weekend. You can't pick a better time to play your best hockey, and they executed to near perfection against CC. Kudos to the entire team, and coaching staff for that game plan. Just fantastic.

Originally posted by Wol4ine View Post
                  Does anyone have a tougher road to the NC than Michigan? 3 WCHA teams and a possible 4th if tUMD wins.
                  UNH: At least 2 CCHA teams and 1 WCHA.
                  Last edited by KC8NIY; 03-27-2011, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Honestly, I was hoping, but not expecting to see them when we go to. St. Paul in two weeks- this is just a great outcome!!!

I know they *can* make it, but it takes something special for them to put it all together like that.

Hope to see some of you at the Frozen Four!!

Comment

UM battled this weekend. 2 years in a row you've played your best hockey at the most important time (save for one game in Detroit last weekend). Congrats on the 211th FF, or however many it is.

Comment

Go Blue, NoDak will be tough but we can do it!
                        Originally posted by alfablue
                        Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                        Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                        I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Great run to the Frozen Four. Very cool to have a couple of CCHA teams in the mix for the NC. Good luck!
                          Engelwood jack, that's the way.

Comment

New to the campgrounds. Just meandering about with an intermittent "hello" here and a "Hail!" there. Go Blue and I look forward to posting more with youze guys (M and non-M fans alike). Hail college hockey.

Comment

Hey, we're still playing. Why is this thread dead?
                              Originally posted by alfablue
                              Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                              Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                              I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Michigan leaves for Minneapolis on Tuesday evening, right after practice and the team meal, approx 5:30pm. Well wishers are free to go to Yost to wish them off.

Comment

Working...
                                X