Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: THE University of Michigan 2010-2011 Season Thread

Originally posted by kjaskolski View Post
    I sit right behind the visitor's penalty box. Was watching, the BGSU coach basically gestured to his player to get the "bleep" off the ice once his penalties expired or UM scored. They were two un-disciplined penalties at a bad time. So, in essence, he was ejected by his coach.
    Wow- to do that to one of your better scorers... Hopefully, the team gets the message for next season.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
      According to Red- at his press conference, Wohlberg will have surgery on his collarbone on Monday per doctor's orders.
      Surgery on a collarbone?? Must be pretty bad- as in multiple or very sharp breaks....

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        Wow- to do that to one of your better scorers... Hopefully, the team gets the message for next season.
        I couldn't believe what I was seeing when it happened, I thought there had to be a different explanation. Obviously I don't know the circumstances but quite frankly I really didn't like it. Especially to do it in that way, absolutely humiliate the kid...just seemed mean-spirited IMO. I mean isn't it a little late in the season to be sending a message? Plus there was only 1 minute left in the 2nd period, if you really felt that strongly you could always have him just not come out for the 3rd.

Whatever...their program, their business I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by wooderson View Post
          I couldn't believe what I was seeing when it happened, I thought there had to be a different explanation. Obviously I don't know the circumstances but quite frankly I really didn't like it. Especially to do it in that way, absolutely humiliate the kid...just seemed mean-spirited IMO. I mean isn't it a little late in the season to be sending a message? Plus there was only 1 minute left in the 2nd period, if you really felt that strongly you could always have him just not come out for the 3rd.

Whatever...their program, their business I guess.
          I agree with Bergeron- Samuels-Thomas' penalties were stupid and undisciplined at a critical point in the game. Michigan scored their last two goals on the PP, with the third goal a result of Samuels-Thomas taking a double minor in the offensive zone. Bergeron's point was two fold, IMO: 1. you can't win with undisciplined penalties (something he stressed all week to his team) and 2. His team wasn't going to start gooning it up once the game was out of hand.

I think a few people on the bench were already a bit incensed by losing Wohlberg the night before long after the game was decided.

Comment

I agree with Bergeron- Samuels-Thomas' penalties were stupid and undisciplined at a critical point in the game. Michigan scored their last two goals on the PP, with the third goal a result of Samuels-Thomas taking a double minor in the offensive zone. Bergeron's point was two fold, IMO: 1. you can't win with undisciplined penalties (something he stressed all week to his team) and 2. His team wasn't going to start gooning it up once the game was out of hand.

I think a few people on the bench were already a bit incensed by losing Wohlberg the night before long after the game was decided.
            I don't have a problem with not playing him anymore if he's taking dumb penalties, although he certainly wasn't the only Bowling Green guy that was guilty of that this weekend. I just had more of an issue with the public humiliation method. I mean have you ever seen something like that in any level of hockey?? Of course like I said I don't really know the circumstances, maybe he left the ice on his own accord.

Comment

I don't have a problem with not playing him anymore if he's taking dumb penalties, although he certainly wasn't the only Bowling Green guy that was guilty of that this weekend. I just had more of an issue with the public humiliation method. I mean have you ever seen something like that in any level of hockey?? Of course like I said I don't really know the circumstances, maybe he left the ice on his own accord.
              I think Bergeron made it clear he wasn't coming back to the bench. Tough lesson to learn... maybe Samuels-Thomas is bolting BG anyway, who knows what was said in the locker room- but Bergeron apparently didn't want to lose the rest of the team.

Comment

I think Bergeron made it clear he wasn't coming back to the bench. Tough lesson to learn... maybe Samuels-Thomas is bolting BG anyway, who knows what was said in the locker room- but Bergeron apparently didn't want to lose the rest of the team.
                Valid points, and maybe the player was mouthing off, who knows. In my mind though, with that little time left in the season, it's really tough to see how he acted out of anything but anger at the kid. And if he start handing out punishments in public out of anger I think he's going to lose the rest of team soon enough...that's just not the way you treat a student-athlete.

Comment

Valid points, and maybe the player was mouthing off, who knows. In my mind though, with that little time left in the season, it's really tough to see how he acted out of anything but anger at the kid. And if he start handing out punishments in public out of anger I think he's going to lose the rest of team soon enough...that's just not the way you treat a student-athlete.
                  Try making that argument after Samuels-Thomas goes back out on the ice and pulls a Conboy/Tropp. If it's the last game of the season, and the kid knows he's moving on to the next level, he can go for broke.

Comment

Originally posted by kdilks View Post
                    Try making that argument after Samuels-Thomas goes back out on the ice and pulls a Conboy/Tropp. If it's the last game of the season, and the kid knows he's moving on to the next level, he can go for broke.
                    I think you're giving this guy too much credit, he's really pulling his own guys off the ice for the benefit of the other teams' players?? Plus there were plenty of other BG guys out there I would have been much more worried about pulling the Conboy/Tropp than Samuel-Thomas. I think the coach was ****ed about the series/season and made Samuel-Thomas the scapegoat. Of course then again I'm just speculating as well. I dunno, I don't want to belabor the point but having had coaches like that it just drives me crazy to hear people praising him for that stunt. This is amateur athletics...if you want to sit a player sit him but don't go out of your way to embarass him in front of seven thousand people.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                      Surgery on a collarbone?? Must be pretty bad- as in multiple or very sharp breaks....
                      According to Casandra Pagni at the Daily, Wohlberg had a metal plate inserted to mend the collarbone. The good news is, Louie Caporusso skated hard today at practice and will be ready for this weekend.

Comment

Congrats to Carl Hagelin and Shawn Hunwick for their respective awards (best defensive forward and best goaltender) at the CCHA Banquet.

Comment

Anyone have any news on why Burlon wasn't playing?

I'm not going to talk about tonight's game except to say, hopefully we play better tomorrow.

Go Blue!
                          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                          7 B1G
                          7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                          6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                          5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                          5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                          2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                          2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                            Anyone have any news on why Burlon wasn't playing?

I'm not going to talk about tonight's game except to say, hopefully we play better tomorrow.

Go Blue!
                            Sounds like he is recovering from an illness (strep/flu) and had a negative reaction to the treatment. I think he will be ready for the NCAA's.

Comment

Whole team played like they were sick.... Oh, well.

I still have hope that I'll see them live, again.

Comment

Friday night was ugly, Saturday wasn't bad. Hopefully the butt-kicking Western gave us was a wake-up call.

Here's hoping that we get another shot at Miami in the NC game!
                                Originally posted by alfablue
                                Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                                Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                                I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Working...
                                X