PDA

View Full Version : THE University of Michigan 2010-2011 Season Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25

kjaskolski
04-09-2011, 11:49 PM
Well, after letting the initial surge of pain subside, i gotta say that Hunwick has become one of Red's best goalies, he willed this team into the final game, and then almost willed them to victory. He would have been the worthy MVP, no matter who hypothetically scored the goal.

It seemed like Michigan was on their heels all weekend, and maybe that contributed to the uneven calls that seemed to go against them all weekend. Especially tonight. 10 penalties to 5. Did it cause Michigan to lose? No, the better team won tonight, especially in OT, when we could not win a face off, and could not get the puck out without icing. However, it took a lot out of them to kill all those penalties. It seemed like every marginal call went against them, and then when they got one (the hitting after the whistle call on UMD) we immediately took a penalty after a great short handed rush by a UMD forward. As for the called off goal, the referee was in position, and the puck seemed to be under the goalie, so i understand that they called that one off. Even though we all know the UNO goal was legit, we maybe lost our "karma" for another borderline goal. I am sure some UNO fans loved the irony in that one (as well as pretty much every other college hockey fan out there, this was a Michigan against the world kinda night).

All that being said, it was quite the year, from beating Sparty handily at the Big Chill, to winning the GLI, the great run at home capped off by the OT thriller against Western on Senior night, then winning the CCHA on the final day of the season. The CCHA tourney did not go as planned, but i feel the regular season is more meaningful (except for last year when they needed to win the tourney). Then the great NCAA/WCHA run they went on.

This was the first time i can remember seeing Michigan get pretty much out shot and out chanced as badly as they did this weekend. They just could not get enough goals tonite to win (although, going into OT tied at 2 has great conotations for Michigan hockey, but it was not to be).

All in all, a very satisfying season, that came this close to being the perfect season.

I am proud to be a Michigan fan and a long time season ticket holder!! Go Blue!!

Red Cows
04-10-2011, 12:20 AM
Well, after letting the initial surge of pain subside, i gotta say that Hunwick has become one of Red's best goalies, he willed this team into the final game, and then almost willed them to victory. He would have been the worthy MVP, no matter who hypothetically scored the goal.

It seemed like Michigan was on their heels all weekend, and maybe that contributed to the uneven calls that seemed to go against them all weekend. Especially tonight. 10 penalties to 5. Did it cause Michigan to lose? No, the better team won tonight, especially in OT, when we could not win a face off, and could not get the puck out without icing. However, it took a lot out of them to kill all those penalties. It seemed like every marginal call went against them, and then when they got one (the hitting after the whistle call on UMD) we immediately took a penalty after a great short handed rush by a UMD forward. As for the called off goal, the referee was in position, and the puck seemed to be under the goalie, so i understand that they called that one off. Even though we all know the UNO goal was legit, we maybe lost our "karma" for another borderline goal. I am sure some UNO fans loved the irony in that one (as well as pretty much every other college hockey fan out there, this was a Michigan against the world kinda night).

All that being said, it was quite the year, from beating Sparty handily at the Big Chill, to winning the GLI, the great run at home capped off by the OT thriller against Western on Senior night, then winning the CCHA on the final day of the season. The CCHA tourney did not go as planned, but i feel the regular season is more meaningful (except for last year when they needed to win the tourney). Then the great NCAA/WCHA run they went on.

This was the first time i can remember seeing Michigan get pretty much out shot and out chanced as badly as they did this weekend. They just could not get enough goals tonite to win (although, going into OT tied at 2 has great conotations for Michigan hockey, but it was not to be).

All in all, a very satisfying season, that came this close to being the perfect season.

I am proud to be a Michigan fan and a long time season ticket holder!! Go Blue!!

Cool post. Good fan.

He's right about UNO fan, though.

The disallowed goal was the highlight of the party at my house to watch the game.

We feel your pain although we are not particularly sympathetic.

The solace I take from the game is that you guys made us look pretty good. That's as far as I can go with any level of congrats.

The whole Big Ten Conference thing certainly did not earn you a lot of fans, either.

Galling thing.

UNO had a 4-4 regular season record against teams in the Frozen Four. And, 6 those 8 games were on the road.

Sigh.............

Caustic Undertow
04-10-2011, 12:22 AM
We lost to a better team. Some of the penalties were questionable, but Michigan was in position to get them because of Duluth's play. I hoped for a surprise OT result, but it was not to be. Alas, so close.

I still had a great time. The ride has been fabulous.

walrus
04-10-2011, 05:03 AM
I was shocked to see how good Michigan's D was, bend don't break type of D, UMD would gain the zone and You guys would get in the lanes in chip it out and transition the other way. Fun game to watch for a Maine fan, but it was not to be for you guys. Great game anyway and without Hunwick UMD might have put up 6 or 7 goals.

davyd83
04-10-2011, 04:16 PM
I just hope that fans on these threads show Michigan the class and compassion and good sportsmanship that they get when they visit Yost cheering for the opponent!!!

alnike
04-10-2011, 04:23 PM
I just hope that fans on these threads show Michigan the class and compassion and good sportsmanship that they get when they visit Yost cheering for the opponent!!!

Last place BG over NMU in the CCHA playoffs, wow, that is pathetic. Keep pounding your anti-Michigan pud Homer.

billmich88888
04-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Last place BG over NMU in the CCHA playoffs, wow, that is pathetic. Keep pounding your anti-Michigan pud Homer.

I was SO dissapointed that NMU didnt make it to the Joe this year and play in the Walt Kyle trophy game like they almost always do...

UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing
04-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Heartbreak I know all too well. Michigan gave everything they had, and if you ask me, if the two teams play 10 times, they probably win 5 apiece. The good news for your program is there will be other title games and eventually number 10. Congrats to the Maize and Blue on a terrific season.

alfablue
04-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Heartbreak I know all too well. Michigan gave everything they had, and if you ask me, if the two teams play 10 times, they probably win 5 apiece. The good news for your program is there will be other title games and eventually number 10. Congrats to the Maize and Blue on a terrific season.

Dunno if I can really belive that. I would love to think they would split 5-5, but I just don't know.... It was hard to watch the D struggle, and what I saw, the UMD coach (forgive me for not knowing his name) had the team a lot more prepared for Red's D than Hakstol did- yes, Michigan did a good job bottling the game up most of the time, but the part of the game I saw- UMD got a lot better chances at scoring than UND did.

None the less, it was great to see the team take it that far, on the back of a walk on goalie who keeps being told that he's weak up high.... Coulda, shoulda, woulda- but UMD did.

Interesting to note that this is Michigan's 4th loss in 13 championship games. Not bad. :) (gotta look for a silver lining...)

Fighting Sioux 23
04-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Interesting to note that this is Michigan's 4th loss in 13 championship games. Not bad. :) (gotta look for a silver lining...)

Michigan is 9-3 now in Championship games. They are tied with North Dakota (7-5) for most Championship game appearances.

I wanted to come in here now that I am back at home in Colorado, and just say congratulations on a great Frozen Four run by Michigan. They knocked off three VERY good WCHA teams, and nearly knocked off a fourth. Thursday's game was heartbreaking for Sioux fans (as I'm sure Saturday's was for you). Hunwick played very well, but I was VERY impressed with Michigan's defense. There were only a handful of very good chances for North Dakota. Red did a great job of gameplanning against the Sioux. Anyway, congratulations on a well played game on Thursday, a great Frozen Four, and a fantastic season.

wolverine318
04-11-2011, 07:13 AM

get lost

Caustic Undertow
04-11-2011, 09:44 AM
It was a good season. The team we watched was unusually conservative and startlingly inept on offense, but as well as any hockey team I can recall they knew who they were and played the way they needed to.

And there were great moments. The Big Chill. Senior Night. A marvelous tournament run. Fabulous memories.

Five years ago Michigan was stocked with high-powered NHL talent that could decapitate BC goaltenders and score with anyone, but they never put it together and we never seriously expected real success. The inevitable tourney losses just kind of came with the territory.

Since Hogan went down last season and some whispered to themselves that it might not be so bad if they lost in the first round to LSSU, this underpowered team with a dwarven walk-on for a goaltender has convinced us that anything is possible. Sweeping MSU at Munn, the streak, beating Miami twice in two weeks (wait, whistles disallow goals?), ambushing the WCHA, beating the best team in hockey... They could do it all.

And they almost did. Quite the ride.

davyd83
04-11-2011, 11:02 AM
get lost

After the way Michigan fans treated NMU fans last year at Yost and at the Joe, no. Their level class, compassion and good sportsmanship comes back at them. Now that you'll be playing in a league where the table is no longer tilted in your favor, maybe you'll be a middle of the pack team just like you are in football and basketball. Need a tissue?

wolverine318
04-11-2011, 11:45 AM
After the way Michigan fans treated NMU fans last year at Yost and at the Joe, no. Their level class, compassion and good sportsmanship comes back at them. Now that you'll be playing in a league where the table is no longer tilted in your favor, maybe you'll be a middle of the pack team just like you are in football and basketball. Need a tissue?

I think you are the one who needs a tissue. I know you are butt hurt you didn't even make it to the Joe. I have nothing to say to certain members of your fan base that used the n word to describe scooter.

why are you on the michigan thread again? Me thinks you are just trolling.

If you think we are going to middle of the pack, where did Minny and Wisky finish in the WCHA, oh thats right they owned by NoDak/CC/Denver/UMD... tO$U is a joke, sparty is a smoldering crater of program now, PSU is just starting up. So how are we going to be middle of the pack again? Please sell me whatever you are smoking. It is obvious very potent.

cross cheque
04-11-2011, 11:46 AM
Michigan is 9-3 now in Championship games. They are tied with North Dakota (7-5) for most Championship game appearances.

I wanted to come in here now that I am back at home in Colorado, and just say congratulations on a great Frozen Four run by Michigan. They knocked off three VERY good WCHA teams, and nearly knocked off a fourth. Thursday's game was heartbreaking for Sioux fans (as I'm sure Saturday's was for you). Hunwick played very well, but I was VERY impressed with Michigan's defense. There were only a handful of very good chances for North Dakota. Red did a great job of gameplanning against the Sioux. Anyway, congratulations on a well played game on Thursday, a great Frozen Four, and a fantastic season.

Ditto. Great season UMICH. I was sitting within arms length of the "sioux fan" with the rabid finger and I'm sorry to say that wasn't the most embarrassing thing he did during that game, please remember he does not represent our fan base and accept our apologies for his rediculous behavior.

alnike
04-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Hey there Davy D in my best cheesy radio voice. Looks like you are the one who needs a countless supply of tissues with your bitterness towards Michigan hockey and its level of success. Did you run out of tissues from that crushing first round playoff loss to freakin' last place Bowling Green? First radio announcer I have come across on the message boards with such behavior. I bet your games are a real treat to listen to. Enjoy that extra long offseason in MQT. I can't wait til that tilted advantage evens out.

alfablue
04-11-2011, 11:48 AM

After you get done wiping the tears...

Dude- Michgian fans get bashed at every corner- not as if Northern Fans tried to jump all over Red for about a decade over an issue. Not as if your fans abuse our players- those signs are all about good.

Thankfully, all but one Northern fan I have encountered were very nice people, and in spite of you, I still have great respect for their fans. Yes, "their" is intentional. You seem more of an anti Michigan fan than a Northern fan. I would not put you in the same catagory as the 'cat fans I know. Most of thier dislike of Michigan gets directed toward making Northern do better.

wolverine318
04-11-2011, 11:51 AM
I am starting to believe Davy is just some Save-A-Lot sparty reject. Dude has all of the sass of little brother but with nothing to back it up with.

alfablue
04-11-2011, 11:53 AM
Ditto. Great season UMICH. I was sitting within arms length of the "sioux fan" with the rabid finger and I'm sorry to say that wasn't the most embarrassing thing he did during that game, please remember he does not represent our fan base and accept our apologies for his rediculous behavior.

The Sioux him, we have walmart wolverienes. Every team has their darker fans- somehow think that this game is a representation of them, personally. We all move on.

That was a heck of a game Thursday, and it's just too bad for us that we could not keep it up for all of Saturday's game....

(and heartbraking is relative. my heart was broken before the end of the game.... this is just entertainment.)

Thanks- and FS23- thanks for the correction- that was my error- I was reading the ESPN notes wrong. I thought we had 12 and you had 13 final apperences, when it was we were trying to both GET to that level. darned ESPN3 on a slow wi-fi connection.... :)

Purpie_and_Goldie
04-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Ignore the first few shots regarding football and the rest of the video rings true...

NSFW

******** title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/01Kz6Rw99Kk?rel=0&amp;hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>