Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE University of Michigan 2010-2011 Season Thread

Originally posted by MoFan View Post
    Though I seem to recall playing you in the mid '90's......neutral ice.....
    2002 NCAA Tourney West Regional in Ann Arbor UM 5 Den 3
    1999 NCAA Tourney East Regional Worcester Mass UM 5 Den 3
    Before those go all the way back to the 1981 WCHA playoffs.

http://www.mgoblue.com/datadump/Ice_...ime-scores.pdf
    Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
    Row 1
    Seats 6 & 7
    Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
      I LIKE that idea.
      The shorter breaks would not impact the flow of the game as much as what we have now but still could add up to the same amount of commercial time.
      Perhaps rather than lobby the networks we should lobby the Rules Committee.
      The Rules Committee has no interest in ideas on how to improve the game
      Michigan Hockey Net
      Follow MHNet on Twitter

NMUKat82 to my dog Cinnamon: Will you stop eyeballing my crotch like you're expecting something tasty to come out???

NMU Hockey: No Focke. No Scharge. The curse has been lifted and the turnaround begins!

"'Tech' means nerd, and nerds suck at sports." - Stephen Colbert

Comment

?????????
        I think he means that in that Patch has played in the NHL, but isn't the big star people (perhaps himself?) thought he'd be yet. 3-11-14 in 52 games with Montreal last season and 3-8-11 in 34 games the year before. Not necessarily eye popping numbers for a first round draft pick who left college after one year. But he's still young and bigger NHL success will hopefully be in his future.
        Michigan Hockey Net
        Follow MHNet on Twitter

NMUKat82 to my dog Cinnamon: Will you stop eyeballing my crotch like you're expecting something tasty to come out???

NMU Hockey: No Focke. No Scharge. The curse has been lifted and the turnaround begins!

"'Tech' means nerd, and nerds suck at sports." - Stephen Colbert

Comment

2002 NCAA Tourney West Regional in Ann Arbor UM 5 Den 3
          1999 NCAA Tourney East Regional Worcester Mass UM 5 Den 3
          Before those go all the way back to the 1981 WCHA playoffs.

http://www.mgoblue.com/datadump/Ice_...ime-scores.pdf
          Sorry, confused Swami with a CC fan.....not thinking. I am now under a self-imposed posting restriction for a period of time, I should know better!
          Cornell '92, Michigan '97 - Go Red! Go Blue!
          I flex a real hard juice card.

Comment

Originally posted by MoFan View Post
            Sorry, confused Swami with a CC fan.....not thinking. I am now under a self-imposed posting restriction for a period of time, I should know better!
            Oh, the humanity....

Seriously, I have some heavy family connections to the U of Michigan, and have long cheered on the Wolvies in football. I was a kid in the '70s when Mike Lantry's leg taught me the horrors of having a Michigan passion, a Michigan pain I felt for years until it was eased in 1997-1998, when I was in the Rose Bowl that afternoon when M erased the pain with a perfect football season..

Little did I know how Michigan would inflict new, far more horrible pain in beating my own school in hockey. Those DU NCAA hockey losses to the Wolverines still haunt me far worse then Mike Lantry ever did. DU went up 3-0 in 99 in Worcester, and then Berenson calls a timeout, and suddenly it's 5-3 Michigan. Season over. Then, the 2002 meltdown game at Yost, our NCAA reward for being a top seed that year. I still see Jed Ortmeyer crushing our top ranked team and ruining a great DU season...

Both games still grind me at the core of my soul...

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
              Just wanted to say hey to you Wolverine fans....I'm really looking forward to having the Blue and Maize visit the NH Seacoast this fall.....I know it's a big kudo for us to have Michigan visit, but Red wanted to do Umile the favor and now we get the benies.....I have no idea how UNH will come out to begin the season but either way, I'll enjoy seeing Michigan at the Whitt!
              UNH really needs this one to even things up:
              10/15/2004 4-4 T in Ann Arbor
              3/27/2004 Mich W 4-1 at Verizon/Manchvegas in 1st game of regionals
              3/27/1999 UNH W 2-1 at Worcester in 1st game of regionals
              4/4/199 Mich 4-0 in semi's FF at Gahden in Boston

Comment

Originally posted by sqeyes View Post
                Thank you for a new thread. I was challenged to remember the last page I read on the old one, so I wouldn't waste time finding where I left off.

Discussion: Read an article that mentioned the ND football coach wanted NBC to change the commercial breaks for the game as to not disrupt the game flow.
                Was Kelly channeling Red B. on this issue? NBC said that the breaks would go from 4 long ones a quarter to 5 short ones.
                This may not seem like a big deal, but what if instead if the 3, 2-3 minute breaks a period, the broadcasters stretch several 'icings' to say 45 sec. run a short ad, in place of the 15 sec. turnover time.
                In the old days CBC would run shot ad's at these types of breaks and did not have the multi-minute stoppages.
                Red has mentioned this in the past and talked about it several times with regard to the outdoor games where standing in the cold can have an effect on the players.
                What do you think? Should we lobby all the networks that carry hockey?
                I must say that I absolutely agree with you on this position. In my humble opinion, television has somewhat ruined the nicety of attending a sporting event. If you go to a non-televised hockey game, there aren't many extended stoppages, 60 minutes of play, 30 to zamboni the ice between each period, throw in some time for penalties, violations, fights (if it's a pro league or you guys are playing State ), and other odds/ends, and it's a nice 2 hour event. Commercials drag on the periods, and have introduced what I see as very corny promotions within the barns (Kiss Cam, anyone?).

I am in agreement with the quick 15 second ads at the stoppages; I also remember when La Soirée du Hockey did that in the early 90's. Also, what's stopping the networks from running extended 4 minute breaks around the "intermission show"? Unless of course they do this already. I know that's what ESPN-U does in the regular season; they show the periods uninterrupted, then just have extended commercials in the period breaks.

Football takes forever because of the commercials. Basketball has unfortunately fallen into the same pit. Please, hockey, don't go and do the same!

Comment

Is anybody good with CSV files? I tried to make one to put the schedule on my cell phone but I did something wrong - the games are on the calendar but are scheduled to end the same time they start.

The one I have is at www-personal.umich.edu/~dsa/MichiganHockey2010-1011.csv if you want it or can tell me how to fix it.
                  Hail! Hail! to Michigan, the champions of the CCHA (2010-11 regular season)!

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post

Oh, the humanity....

Seriously, I have some heavy family connections to the U of Michigan, and have long cheered on the Wolvies in football. I was a kid in the '70s when Mike Lantry's leg taught me the horrors of having a Michigan passion, a Michigan pain I felt for years until it was eased in 1997-1998, when I was in the Rose Bowl that afternoon when M erased the pain with a perfect football season..

Little did I know how Michigan would inflict new, far more horrible pain in beating my own school in hockey. Those DU NCAA hockey losses to the Wolverines still haunt me far worse then Mike Lantry ever did. DU went up 3-0 in 99 in Worcester, and then Berenson calls a timeout, and suddenly it's 5-3 Michigan. Season over. Then, the 2002 meltdown game at Yost, our NCAA reward for being a top seed that year. I still see Jed Ortmeyer crushing our top ranked team and ruining a great DU season...

Both games still grind me at the core of my soul...

You've won a couple of titles since then, we're still waiting.

Still, from my center-ice seats overlooking the ice across from the student section, courtesy of TAJen and Lord Sid, I got to watch the Molly Game and the Denver game in the 2002 regional (a regional so legendary that all-timer Ron Mason's last game featuring all-timer Ryan Miller was a footnote, an uninspiring loss to Colorado College. That CC team lost to eventual champion Minnesota featuring Hobey-winner Jordan Leopold... aw man, I miss those 6-team regionals).

Unfair? You'd better believe it. People talk about the crowd at the Molly game, and it was great, but I have never heard anything like the crowd in the last half of the third period against Denver, after Werner scored to tie. When Ortmeyer, falling forward, redirected that pass into goal, the place went absolutely bananas. Went bananas again with Glenn's last ever "You're Welcome," stayed bananas through a ridiculous 10-minute timekeeping delay, went bananas again when Nystrom empty-netted the insurance goal, and went bananas again as the team saluted the crowd after the game. Denver had no chance once that goal went in, none at all.

Sorry Swam, but that weekend is on my Mt. Rushmore of favorite sports experiences. It's in Woodson vs. Ohio State '97 territory. Braylon game territory. Red Wings Playoff run territory (that great series against the Evilanche in 2002... wow, that was a good spring for hockey). I'll never have more fun at a game.
                    Last edited by Caustic Undertow; 09-17-2010, 01:21 PM.
                    Jesus Saves

Comment

Originally posted by Caustic Undertow View Post
                      I have never heard anything like the crowd in the last half of the third period against Denver, after Werner scored to tie. When Ortmeyer, falling forward, redirected that pass into goal, the place went absolutely bananas. Went bananas again with Glenn's last ever "You're Welcome," stayed bananas through a ridiculous 10-minute timekeeping delay, went bananas against when Nystrom empty-netted the insurance goal, and went bananas against as the team saluted the crowd after the game. Denver had no chance once that goal went in, none at all.

Sorry Swam, but that weekend is on my Mt. Rushmore of favorite sports experiences. It's in Woodson vs. Ohio State '97 territory. Braylon game territory. Red Wings Playoff run territory (that great series against the Evilanche in 2002... wow, that was a good spring for hockey). I'll never have more fun at a game.
                      A big AMEN!

I have had season tix for almost 20 years and that was without question the loudest I have heard Yost.
                      Row 1
                      Seats 6 & 7

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                        .I have no idea how UNH will come out to begin the season but either way, I'll enjoy seeing Michigan at the Whitt!
                        The Wolves USUALLY start slow then turn it on after the Christmas (Yes, I said CHRISTMAS) break.

FWIW College Hockey News in their preseason poll has New Hampshire #10 and U-M #4. It should be a good game.
                        Row 1
                        Seats 6 & 7

Comment

A big AMEN!

I have had season tix for almost 20 years and that was without question the loudest I have heard Yost.
                          Fully agree (and am starting my 21st season this fall!- how time flies ), but that North Dakota game in '98 was pretty close- I had a major headache after the game.

Comment

bah
                            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                              Fully agree (and am starting my 21st season this fall!- how time flies ), but that North Dakota game in '98 was pretty close- I had a major headache after the game.
                              Hey alfa, did pictures from the Posters game ever surface?

Also, I figured you guys might appreciate this little snag I made the other day:

http://item.ebay.com/230517611013
                              e^x, dx/dy, Janni wants some apple pie

Go Tigers.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                                If you go to a non-televised hockey game, there aren't many extended stoppages, 60 minutes of play, 30 to zamboni the ice between each period, throw in some time for penalties, violations, fights (if it's a pro league or you guys are playing State ), and other odds/ends, and it's a nice 2 hour event.
                                Normally (non-televised) the 7:35 starts at Yost usually end almost exactly at 9:50 or 9:55. Nevertheless it does not compare to the molasses-like pace of the televised games.
                                Row 1
                                Seats 6 & 7

Comment

Working...
                                X