Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: THE University of Michigan 2010-2011 Season Thread

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
    Much rather play worse than the score and come out on top like you guys than play every bit as badly as the score in our game last night indicated and lose... Good weekend for UM against a team that's been playing OK and really shutting teams down. Michigan netted almost as many goals in 2 games as Ferris had given up in their last 5 -- including 2 OTs.

Who knows where either of our teams will finish, but I'm giving a bit of an edge to UM to finish ahead of ND, what with the game in hand and our propensity to inconsistent play rearing its head much more frequently than yours. And don't forget, half of BGSUs CCHA wins came at our expense.
    I don't think anyone can afford to look past an opponent. Here's a schedule comparison:

Notre Dame remaining schedule: at Ohio State (2), Miami-OH (2), Bowling Green (2), at Ferris State (2), and a home and home with Western Michigan (2).
    Michigan remaining schedule: Alaska (2), Michigan State at the Joe (1), at Miami-OH (2), Ohio State (2), Western Michigan (2), and at Northern Michigan (2).

Both of our clusters are really competitive: we have Alaska, OSU, MSU and Ferris. You have Miami, NMU, WMU and BG. So far we're 7-3-1-0 in ours and you are 6-3-0-1. The difference is, we finish cluster play at home (4) and the game at JLA. You have six games left in yours, with five at home. That's a push, although I would say that MSU trumps BG if you were to compare clusters. Alaska, Miami, Ferris and WMU are all difficult. OSU/NMU may be about even.

For us, playing WMU at home twice is a break this season. Going to NMU is never easy, but I like our chances on the big ice. For you, going to Columbus probably won't be easy- they are playing really well. Ferris, sans last night, was a nightmare for Michigan up there. Any team had a chance against them the way they played that game. I'd say your team will get a better challenge. Still, we managed a 3-0-1 record against them which compares to your 3-1 record against NMU. The x-factor will be our games against Miami down there. You guys split and have them at home still. So, I still think that getting BG at home for two still gives ND a slight schedule advantage unless you don't show up in those games. Frankly, our schedules are no walk in the park. You also have a bye weekend in early Feb while we go down to Miami. That can work either way, too.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      Dom
      Like streaker commented- good stuff! Are you and Dan in a broadcast program up in Big Rapids? There's an obvious polish to your work. Especially the reporting balance- it IS an FSU program, but it's not a fanboi show, but a well covered production. You guys help make Ferris look good.
      Thanks Alfablue. No, Dan and I are not in any kind of radio/broadcast program up here. We do it for fun, by ourselves with a couple flip cams and I edit everything after we record. All just learned on the fly. Glad you like.

Comment

Michigan @ Ferris State Saturday night Highlights:

http://www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com/s...20110116duwc22

******* width="480" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HcnUnq5YCko?fs=1&hl=en_US">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HcnUnq5YCko?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">

Bob Daniels Post Game Press Conference:

******* width="480" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o5AE_xYRZFY?fs=1&hl=en_US">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o5AE_xYRZFY?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">

Enjoy!

Comment

Wow, based on the NCAA reverting back to the old provisions for calculating RPI (Teams w/.500 or better RPI are considered TUCs instead of just top 25), Michigan moves up to #5 in the PWR. This means that games against UNH, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, UNO, Alaska, CC, Minn, Ohio State, Ferris and MSU all count against this calculation since they are TUCs. All the remaining teams on our schedule qualify as TUCs right now- adding extra incentive to winning those games.

The Alaska series is huge since they are sitting at #19 in the PWR and are a TUC.

Comment

One more reason I will always love Marty Turco...

Michigan Hockey Net
            Follow MHNet on Twitter

NMUKat82 to my dog Cinnamon: Will you stop eyeballing my crotch like you're expecting something tasty to come out???

NMU Hockey: No Focke. No Scharge. The curse has been lifted and the turnaround begins!

"'Tech' means nerd, and nerds suck at sports." - Stephen Colbert

Comment

Can't say I always agree with our favorite CCHA columnist on this site, but I believe she is correct in noting Alaska is probably better than their record. Whatever you guys thought of your two wins, I found them pretty impressive. That team gave us fits the previous weekend, and we only came out of it with a split because we got the Henry Jekyll version of Mike Johnson on Friday. The wins were certainly more impressive than our 6-1 loss Friday that helped move UM into the top spot. Our hopes in catching you might rest in the one series we each have left with Miami. I can't help but think that no matter how this plays out our two teams are going to meet at least one more time this season.

Comment

I'm not sure how Alaska is not scoring more than they are, but they are missing a lot of pretty open opportunities. Michigan was lucky to win Saturday.

My biggest concern, though, from that game was that the team just looked tired. Not skating fast, not being able to keep up, and taking some pretty poor penalties due to just going slowly. I don't want to call it lazy, as it appeared they were at least trying, but they sure looked tired. very tired.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                  I'm not sure how Alaska is not scoring more than they are, but they are missing a lot of pretty open opportunities. Michigan was lucky to win Saturday.

My biggest concern, though, from that game was that the team just looked tired. Not skating fast, not being able to keep up, and taking some pretty poor penalties due to just going slowly. I don't want to call it lazy, as it appeared they were at least trying, but they sure looked tired. very tired.
                  Can't blame it on killing penalties all night- 4 on friday and sat- but that 5x3 pretty much wore then out at the end.

Can't blame the schedule too much, but Ferris and Alaska were very physical teams.

I agree, Alaska missed a ton of odd man chances and open nets. I don't think they'll be an easy out in the playoffs if they can figure out how to score. Hunwick outplayed Greenham, but not by much, too.

Comment

Have any of you ever heard the saying, "We need to get pucks to the front of the net"? Of course you have. Next to "keep your stick on the ice" it is the most cliche hockey phrase ever uttered. So how come no one on the UM team has ever heard of it? Why on earth do they continue to skate in along the boards and then when they get to the goal line decide to shoot? I think they must have seen Datsyuk or Zetterberg score once from behind the goal line and now they all want to do it. Can you see Berenson in the lockerroom, "You guys have to get pucks to the side of the net".? Me neither.

How do the CCHA playoffs work this year with only 11 teams?
                    No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Wol4ine View Post
                      How do the CCHA playoffs work this year with only 11 teams?
                      Basically the same way they do with 12. Except there will be no 12 vs 5 first round matchup and instead the 5 seed will automatically play the 4 seed on the quarterfinal weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by redwings8831 View Post
                        Basically the same way they do with 12. Except there will be no 12 vs 5 first round matchup and instead the 5 seed will automatically play the 4 seed on the quarterfinal weekend.
                        Does this mean that the 5th seed is missing out on a pay day, or do all profits from the first two rounds get pooled in with the money from the finals at the Joe?

Comment

Originally posted by kdilks View Post
                          Does this mean that the 5th seed is missing out on a pay day, or do all profits from the first two rounds get pooled in with the money from the finals at the Joe?
                          All playoff monies, whether on campus or at the Joe, are pooled and then redistributed equally among all teams if there is any profit.

Comment

The thing I found interesting on Saturday is that all of the shots from the point, from my perspective, seemed to go high. How can you go to the net with your stick on the ice when the puck flies by your shoulder pads? Screening seems to be the only benefit because I don't see many tip-ins.

Comment

Originally posted by Brainiac View Post
                              The thing I found interesting on Saturday is that all of the shots from the point, from my perspective, seemed to go high. How can you go to the net with your stick on the ice when the puck flies by your shoulder pads? Screening seems to be the only benefit because I don't see many tip-ins.
                              That's true, but apparently Yanakeff is so big that he didn't leave anything at the bottom to shoot at. Same strategy against Nagle and Greenham, except the d-men hit the net. Two inches to the his right and Pateryn scores and we probably have OT.

Comment

Boy, not much activity around here from our side.......

Here is an interview with Jeff Tambellini.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/...aining-content
                                Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

Working...
                                X