Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: THE University of Michigan 2010-2011 Season Thread

Originally posted by streaker View Post
    McInchak had his ears burned by Red after Friday- didn't see any cheap calls either way- although I can't question the calls on Wohlberg, Langlais, Hunwick and Scooter in East Lansing.
    I may not have been paying super close attention, but I thought both teams played a very good game, WRT penalties. Very, very little post whistle action, and very few hits that could be considered cheap shots. And that really, really quickened up the game- the first period ended as a few fans were arriving for a 7:35 start.

I'd love to see more games played like that. very fun.

Comment

One of the calls that got me irked friday was one of the 5-3 pp calls. (don't remember if it was the first, probably the second though) A State player was carrying the puck into the M zone along the boards. A Mich player (Scooter?) reached across the players body to play the puck. The Sparty clamped down his arm so Scooters arm was now under the spartys arm. The sparty then took a dive dragging scooter down too. The ref calls a penalty, MSU goes on the 5 on 3 and scores.
      No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Thankfully, Friday and Saturday were completely different games for playing and reffing. Saturday was how it was meant to be played. Well, mostly.

Comment

Hunwick - Very solid game on Saturday night, Friday night his size/limitation was exposed with good shots. 5x3 powerplays make that pretty easy. I was less than thrilled with the punch he put on Gayisley from Friday night. Not sure what was said to him, but it put him over the edge in a critical situation of the game. And as mentioned on that powerplay, Leveille takes a dive while Scooter is angling him into the boards. Maybe Hunwick saw that and took the Saturday night dive on Forfar. The TV replay clearly showed Forfar/Hunwick may have brushed jerseys at most, but no skate or arm contact for that embellishment. The next penalty on Krug was legit, going out of his way to hit Hunwick.

I thought Pateryn played a solid and effective game on Saturday night.

I know Langlais went out of his way to hit Krug on Friday night to pick up the penalty. I couldn't tell if Krug tipped the puck on the pass or not. If he did tip it and make contact, that hit should have been ok, but was unnecessary.

Krug wastes too much energy being a punk. He has talent, focus it on the play. He is too much WWE at Munn (January 2010 and 2011). He thinks he's immune from most penalties because he wears a "C". It was nice to see Rust nail him at center ice on Saturday. Krug likes the center ice hit where he crunches over and hip checks unsuspecting players at the knees.

MSU likes to chirp on their home ice. That is effective against a frustrated Michigan team who does not historically play well at Munn.

The weekend was a slight disappointment. Mostly because of the 3rd period on Friday night. Two consecutive 5x3 penalty kills is unacceptable in this game, especially when all four penalties could have easily been avoided. Time to start a streak of weekend sweeps. Don't let Ferris' Redmond beat them from the point on the power play.

Comment

Not knocking Hunwick's ability in net, Streaker. We made it easy on him. Did you see MSU's odd-man rushes on Saturday?

Everything we got past him on Friday was lined up from 20+ feet out, and 3 of the 4 through goodly traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
              Not knocking Hunwick's ability in net, Streaker. We made it easy on him. Did you see MSU's odd-man rushes on Saturday?

Everything we got past him on Friday was lined up from 20+ feet out, and 3 of the 4 through goodly traffic.
              I'd be the first to stand up and critique Shawn's play if it warranted it, either way. But, I think the emotional carry-over from the shenanigans superimposed any objective Sparty posting in your thread. He isn't the dirtbag some of your fellow mates are implying... especially when he is getting buzzed in his crease. No reason to go all-Montoya on them in a tie game... but I like his spunk. He maintained his composure Saturday and allowed the skate, so to speak, be on the other foot.

Friday night he received little help, and any goaltender is at a disadvantage when down 5x3 twice and screened. The book is, shoot high for obvious reasons, or get a deflection on because of his positioning. Saturday night, like Alfa suggested, his positioning was terrific, he was aggressive without over committing side to side like he usually does. And yes, I get to see him real up close for two periods each game at Yost. He made some key saves, even if you don't deem that all that difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by Wol4ine View Post
                One of the calls that got me irked friday was one of the 5-3 pp calls. (don't remember if it was the first, probably the second though) A State player was carrying the puck into the M zone along the boards. A Mich player (Scooter?) reached across the players body to play the puck. The Sparty clamped down his arm so Scooters arm was now under the spartys arm. The sparty then took a dive dragging scooter down too. The ref calls a penalty, MSU goes on the 5 on 3 and scores.
                It was the second penalty. I was hoping to get another look at it on the replay board, but from what I saw the first time around, it seemed like a pretty awful call.

Comment

Originally posted by kdilks View Post
                  It was the second penalty. I was hoping to get another look at it on the replay board, but from what I saw the first time around, it seemed like a pretty awful call.
                  The way it was explained, he got the penalty for having his stick between the Spartan player's legs and he was a stride behind him. After that, it was the rodeo Wol4ine suggested.

Comment

Anybody hear any rumblings that Merrill is thinking of bolting after the season?

Comment

Anybody hear any rumblings that Merrill is thinking of bolting after the season?
                      I have not heard any rumblings, but it is a real concern.
                      1. His improved play since Thanksgiving, and being named the top Defenseman for the US team at the WJC.
                      2. The New Jersey Devils situation doesn't help. They are entering an apparent rebuilding phase with a no-name defenseman crew and a team that has salary cap issues with the contracts of Kovalchuk and Parise's free agency.
                      3. Last summer, the Chicago BlackHawks had significant cap issues after winning the Cup. After trading many decent players away (Byfuglien, Ladd, then the Niemi and Madden free agency), the Hawks signed a couple college prospects after only one year of school (Nick Leddy of MN and Brandon Pirri of RPI). Not saying the Devils will take the same approach, but who knows.

The Devils own the rights to Merrill, Burlon and Wohlberg. It is possible that Burlon and Merrill could lead Michigan in scoring in 2011-12, or both could be in the AHL. Michigan has had good luck with Devils prospects in the past.

Comment

Hey Guys,

Here is the #19 Ferris State vs. #7 Michigan Series Video Preview: http://www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com/s...review_1-11-11

******* width="480" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uD3S1Rgk3_I?fs=1&hl=en_US">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uD3S1Rgk3_I?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">

Always more videos at www.FerrisStateBulldogs.com/Sports/MIce/Video
                        www.***********/FerrisHockey

Dom

Comment

Originally posted by DominicHennig View Post
                          Hey Guys,

Here is the #19 Ferris State vs. #7 Michigan Series Video Preview: http://www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com/s...review_1-11-11

******* width="480" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uD3S1Rgk3_I?fs=1&hl=en_US">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uD3S1Rgk3_I?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">

Always more videos at www.FerrisStateBulldogs.com/Sports/MIce/Video
                          www.***********/FerrisHockey

Dom
                          Good stuff, Dom.

Comment

Dom
                            Like streaker commented- good stuff! Are you and Dan in a broadcast program up in Big Rapids? There's an obvious polish to your work. Especially the reporting balance- it IS an FSU program, but it's not a fanboi show, but a well covered production. You guys help make Ferris look good.

From a game perspective- hopefully, since Friday is in Ann Arbor, the crowd will help the team pull out of the Friday night stink. But Mrs Alfa and I will be missing both, with no option to watch on TV. So yell extra for us!

Comment

Lots of rumors in NJ about this, but I think it's still just speculation. NJ needs a lot of help but it's tough for d-men to go straight to the NHL.
                              Cornell '92, Michigan '97 - Go Red! Go Blue!
                              I flex a real hard juice card.

Comment

Originally posted by MoFan View Post
                                Lots of rumors in NJ about this, but I think it's still just speculation. NJ needs a lot of help but it's tough for d-men to go straight to the NHL.
                                Agree completely. Merrill is not a finished product yet- hard to say in comparison to JMFJ at 18- different styles- but I'd like to see one more season at U-M. Too many other early outs that are regretting their decision, wasting time in the AHL. Merrill shouldn't need much time at the next level to get to the Show, so I would think he'd take one more year of education as well and then test the scouting waters. Heck, he's already penciled into the lineup for next year's WJT, so I don't think the Devils are going to yank him out of Michigan just to play in the AHL. Like Alnike said, the Devils have been pretty respectful to Red. Yes, the cap situation there is troublesome, but if he isn't ready they won't sign him.

I only bring this up b/c there is also speculation on a certain Michigan blogsite suggesting "insider knowledge" that he is leaning on leaving now.

Comment

Working...
                                X