THE University of Michigan 2010-2011 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: THE University of Michigan 2010-2011 Season Thread

There's been quiet rumblings of a new arena for about ten years now. But. Don't think you're going to see that happen with a building like Yost, which is as iconic and revered as it comes, and which has had the amount of renovation and upgrades as it's had. I remember Yost before the '96 renovations, and it was a -dump-. Great character, but it was awful. What they've done to that building over the past fifteen years is amazing, and I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with the configuration, the size, or the atmosphere of the building as it is today. They've added great handicapped seating, they've upgraded the concessions and restrooms to a satisfactory level. Sure, there's some obstructed views here and there (including where my season tickets are), but that's not too bad.

Now, as for Oosterbaan, keep dreaming. It's a cold aluminum shed. Total dump, and nowhere near tall enough to support seating for anything. Never, ever, ever will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by UMBand View Post
      Now, as for Oosterbaan, keep dreaming. It's a cold aluminum shed. Total dump, and nowhere near tall enough to support seating for anything. Never, ever, ever will happen.
      I was wondering of this talk about Oosterbaan until I looked it up. IMHO, UMBand is 100% correct. Unless the goal is to take the progam backwards.

The far more likely thing is a new BB/Hockey thing, which I don't want to see, since it ends up compromising both. IF there is a new Yost, it has to be hockey only.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
        David Brandon just gave the Det News an interview and talked about how he is approaching the Regents about another Yost renovation- paraphrasing here, he said that the bones are good but old, so they are limited to some of the ideas- but wants to look at new bleacher configurations and concessions considerations. I love Yost and really don't want to see a new building because of the closeness to the action. I argue that we don't currently sell out Yost as it is- so what is to say we would have success with a 12,000 seat arena for games that don't generate much interest? Empty seats = lost revenue, as does unused square feet because of fixed costs. It is a debate that is being raised at UNO, also- and you only have to look at Ohio State to see what a detriment a huge arena is at times. We don't need a palace to keep up with the WCHA jones. If that is what is attracting recruits, then they are coming for the wrong reasons.
        ****. Would that some muckitymuck around this here aging white elephant we call Munn would mention ANYTHING about renovation.

Comment

Originally posted by inverted stein View Post
          ****. Would that some muckitymuck around this here aging white elephant we call Munn would mention ANYTHING about renovation.
          Does "Can't read, can't write" apply here?
          No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Cold, alunimum shed? That sounds perfect!!! NoDak played in one until REA was built, they did alright.

Last I checked, there was still a waiting list for season tickets. That's why I think they could fill something bigger than Yost. Yost was built for track & field, Oo was built for football. How can it be any less tall than Yost? It certainly looks as big, or bigger than Yost from the outside. Maybe it looks bigger on the inside because it's empty. While the team is a perrenial NCAA tourney contender, they will have big crowds and great atmosphere. Are you telling me that because REA or the Kohl Center is bigger that they don't?
            No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Wol4ine View Post
              Does "Can't read, can't write" apply here?
              I don't know. Did you have trouble with that?

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                I don't know. Did you have trouble with that?
                Is that where you set the bar in East Lansing these days?

Comment

Cold, alunimum shed? That sounds perfect!!! NoDak played in one until REA was built, they did alright.

Last I checked, there was still a waiting list for season tickets. That's why I think they could fill something bigger than Yost. Yost was built for track & field, Oo was built for football. How can it be any less tall than Yost? It certainly looks as big, or bigger than Yost from the outside. Maybe it looks bigger on the inside because it's empty. While the team is a perrenial NCAA tourney contender, they will have big crowds and great atmosphere. Are you telling me that because REA or the Kohl Center is bigger that they don't?
                  Not sure what point you are trying to make.

IMHO, Oosterbaan is a poor choice, since it would have to be adapted a LOT, and in the end, it's still a basic metal structure.

If you are saying that Michigan can sell out a good new stadium- I'm sure we can. And the fans will do their best to make it great.

It's just that Oosterbaan is a bad choice.

Comment

U-M changed the time for the saturday game vs. MSU to 7:05 pm- and it will be on FSD+.

Comment

You ever been inside Oosterbaan? I have. The ceiling taper is extremely steep, and by the time you get to the walls on the sidelines, it's about 10-12 feet at most. Where would bleachers go, and how would they fit more than Yost?

The reason it was replaced was because the punters kept hitting the ceiling. It's quite literally a huge shed. It's a 70's-80's practice facility, not a competition facility. It was built in an era where indoor practice facilities were new and fashionable, it was built cheap, it is cheap. Unlike Yost, which is basically a brick palace in comparison. Never will be a hockey arena. Keep dreaming.
                      Last edited by UMBand; 01-05-2011, 12:18 PM.

Comment

You ever been inside Oosterbaan? I have. The ceiling taper is extremely steep, and by the time you get to the walls on the sidelines, it's about 10-12 feet at most. Where would bleachers go, and how would they fit more than Yost?

The reason it was replaced was because the punters kept hitting the ceiling. It's quite literally a huge shed. It's a 70's-80's practice facility, not a competition facility. It was built in an era where indoor practice facilities were new and fashionable, it was built cheap, it is cheap. Unlike Yost, which is basically a brick palace in comparison. Never will be a hockey arena. Keep dreaming.
                        Yup, Oosterbaan would be comparable to the Ohio State dung rink they had prior to building the Schott. It's just a matter of being thankful for what you have because change, even to a modern day palace, may not be all that it is intended to be. I'll take Yost anyday all day.

Comment

Yes, I've been in Oosterbaan. About 30 years ago. The MMB practiced there before we left for the Rose Bowl. Ever been to a Rose Bowl? It may be an aluminum shed, but it has a steel skeleton, just like Yost, without the rivets. Of course they would have to renovate it. Yost was built with a dirt floor, it had to be renovated too. I'd like to know the dimensions of both. An ice rink is 85' wide. So how wide are the corridors + stands in Yost? 25'? 30'? That'd make Yost about 150' wide? How wide is Oo? It has a football field (160') and about 10' more on each sideline, so about 180'? I think you could configure Oo a lot like Yost, only with more capacity. I wonder how long and high both buildings are.

Comment

Sigh. I was kinda hoping for this thread to be my oasis of sanity in the Michigan-related internet this week....

Comment

Originally posted by wooderson View Post
                              Sigh. I was kinda hoping for this thread to be my oasis of sanity in the Michigan-related internet this week....
                              It still can be, depending on how this weekend goes. Our guys have won four straight against the Sparties and take some GLI mo up to the Morgue. We get 15 of our last 17 games in the state of Michigan, (which included the GLI) with eight home games and the MSU/JLA game which is technically their home game. Our road games are @ MSU, @ FSU, @Miami (2) @ NMU (2). I'm pretty optimistic about the schedule, if they can make hay at Yost and split on the road. We're 10-5-1 since 07-08 against State and 4-0 at JLA.

I'd say a nice run of 14-3 would be acceptable.

Comment

Picked up a new commitment today: Phil Di Giuseppe from the OJHL. He's 35th in league scoring, but he's the highest scoring 93 birthday, and he's a late-93 to boot. 6'1", 200.

The team's assistant GM said his speed and stick skills are "second to none". Probably pumping up his own player somewhat, but he sounds like a REALLY nice pickup, especially this late in the game.
                                Come visit The Blog That Yost Built

Comment

Working...
                                X