THE University of Michigan 2010-2011 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: THE University of Michigan 2010-2011 Season Thread

Yea they shook hands after the game last night. I think they should wait untill after the last game of the series to shake hands.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      You are doing it right now.

Look, we will deal with our team when they act like losers, and you do it with yours. We don't need you to tell us when our team isn't behaving. By "rubbing" our bytes in it, it's just as if you flipped us fans the bird as we were leaving the Schott.

You deal with your own teams issues, we will deal with ours. Until you can come close in total championships, I think we will be happy in ignoring your "advice"- ok?
      Ohio state wont come close to the number of championships that michigan has. Beating michigan is good start to building a program and 4 of the last 5 series have been split. Given time the new coach will make this team contenders every year for the conference title.See you in Feb at Yost.
      Last edited by klbaum1077; 12-05-2010, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
        Ohio state wont come close to the number of championships that michigan has. Beating michigan is good start to building a program and 4 of the last 5 series have been split. Given time the new coach will make this team contenders every year for the conference title.See you in Feb at Yost.
        Now don't take this wrong b/c this isn't totally directed at you, but at some comments made in your OSU thread that I chose not to respond to.

In relation to splitting four of the last five series, that is to be expected in a rivalry, at least in hockey right now. Seeing is believing, though when it comes to being title contenders. Osiecki offers hope, I guess. Still, certain Bucks hockey fans shouldn't be offering advice about "throwing up football stats to belligerent Michigan fans". That will also cycle back someday, too, unlike the modicum of class that most Bucks fans can't seem to grasp. Speaking of stats, Michigan still leads the series history in football, too regardless of the last decade, still leads in national titles, all time victories, winning percentage, conference championships. Football is never a valid excuse for a Bucks hockey fan to pop off with a hockey program that has exactly two CCHA championships in its history and not much else- I doubt that, even during robust times, you'll hear a Michigan hockey fan bring football into the equation unless provoked.

Yeah, see ya at Yost.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
          Now don't take this wrong b/c this isn't totally directed at you, but at some comments made in your OSU thread that I chose not to respond to.

In relation to splitting four of the last five series, that is to be expected in a rivalry, at least in hockey right now. Seeing is believing, though when it comes to being title contenders. Osiecki offers hope, I guess. Still, certain Bucks hockey fans shouldn't be offering advice about "throwing up football stats to belligerent Michigan fans". That will also cycle back someday, too, unlike the modicum of class that most Bucks fans can't seem to grasp. Speaking of stats, Michigan still leads the series history in football, too regardless of the last decade, still leads in national titles, all time victories, winning percentage, conference championships. Football is never a valid excuse for a Bucks hockey fan to pop off with a hockey program that has exactly two CCHA championships in its history and not much else- I doubt that, even during robust times, you'll hear a Michigan hockey fan bring football into the equation unless provoked.

Yeah, see ya at Yost.
          I dont take what you said personal. I agree football stats shouldnt come into a hockey thread and i dont use them here. I am an ohio state fan in every sport and I respect michigan in every sport more than any ohio state fan i know and wish that ohio state's hockey program could be half what michigan's is. Good luck in the game this weekend.

Comment

I just caught the end of the second period and all of the third of the last Mich/OSU game on the big ten network.. wow did michigan dominate that third period! osu had a real good chance short handed and then 1 or 2 decent opportunities with the goalie pulled, but the other 19+ minutes were a clinic by the wolverines. I was real impressed with the poise of Merril, he is a stud.

Looking at the standings, it seems Michigan is having some trouble scoring goals. is that accurate to say? What is going on there?
            “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
            Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
            Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
            National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
              I just caught the end of the second period and all of the third of the last Mich/OSU game on the big ten network.. wow did michigan dominate that third period! osu had a real good chance short handed and then 1 or 2 decent opportunities with the goalie pulled, but the other 19+ minutes were a clinic by the wolverines. I was real impressed with the poise of Merril, he is a stud.

Looking at the standings, it seems Michigan is having some trouble scoring goals. is that accurate to say? What is going on there?
              They pretty much dominated the last 35 minutes of that game.

Comment

It was good to see Michigan play like they ought to play. Only wish MSU wasn't the only team that brings that out in them. I was wondering what 110,000 would do for their season attendance mark. It looks like that one game will double their season average. No wonder the AD would con$ider doing that every 4 year$.

However, I think this will fall short of what Wisc,Minn or NoDak average in a season. But just like the football team, 'when you have the biggest stadium in the country', it doesn't make sense to play AT Connecticut. So, considering the turnout for the Big Chill, is it time to revisit the issue of a new venue. Yost has been good, very good for UM hockey. But a 12,000 seat place could easily double the attendance we get at Yost. I don't see the U having the money for a new arena that size or even the land to build on. Would the U consider putting ice in Crisler? How about Oosterbaan? The new fieldhouse (Glick?) looks twice the size as Oosterbaan, But Oosterbaan looks twice the size as Yost. It's one thing to have the biggest arena in the CCHA, but quite another to have the second smallest in the BTHC.
                No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Wol4ine View Post
                  It was good to see Michigan play like they ought to play. Only wish MSU wasn't the only team that brings that out in them. I was wondering what 110,000 would do for their season attendance mark. It looks like that one game will double their season average. No wonder the AD would con$ider doing that every 4 year$.

However, I think this will fall short of what Wisc,Minn or NoDak average in a season. But just like the football team, 'when you have the biggest stadium in the country', it doesn't make sense to play AT Connecticut. So, considering the turnout for the Big Chill, is it time to revisit the issue of a new venue. Yost has been good, very good for UM hockey. But a 12,000 seat place could easily double the attendance we get at Yost. I don't see the U having the money for a new arena that size or even the land to build on. Would the U consider putting ice in Crisler? How about Oosterbaan? The new fieldhouse (Glick?) looks twice the size as Oosterbaan, But Oosterbaan looks twice the size as Yost. It's one thing to have the biggest arena in the CCHA, but quite another to have the second smallest in the BTHC.
                  David Brandon just gave the Det News an interview and talked about how he is approaching the Regents about another Yost renovation- paraphrasing here, he said that the bones are good but old, so they are limited to some of the ideas- but wants to look at new bleacher configurations and concessions considerations. I love Yost and really don't want to see a new building because of the closeness to the action. I argue that we don't currently sell out Yost as it is- so what is to say we would have success with a 12,000 seat arena for games that don't generate much interest? Empty seats = lost revenue, as does unused square feet because of fixed costs. It is a debate that is being raised at UNO, also- and you only have to look at Ohio State to see what a detriment a huge arena is at times. We don't need a palace to keep up with the WCHA jones. If that is what is attracting recruits, then they are coming for the wrong reasons.

Comment

Michigan picked up two commitments yesterday per USHR.com. NTDP U18 goalie John Gibson, who was verbally committed to Ohio State, and Stouffville (OJHL) defenseman Brennan Serville. Big pick up with Gibson. NHL Central Scouting rated him the top USHL goalie in their preliminary rankings this fall. He's 6'3, 205 pounds. 6-6-2 record with the U18 team, 2.89 GAA/.917 sv %. With Hogan gone and only Hunwick/Janecyk returning, we needed a goalie and got a good one it appears.

Not surprised by the Gibson flip when you look at OSU's recruiting class for next year. I know they got a new coach and all, but talk about a total rebuild. Before Gibson switched, they had 15 (!) recruits for next season, including THREE goaltender recruits. Not surprised they lost out on one of them. Bad for them, good for us!
                    Last edited by M-HockeyNet; 12-16-2010, 08:41 AM.
                    Michigan Hockey Net
                    Follow MHNet on Twitter

NMUKat82 to my dog Cinnamon: Will you stop eyeballing my crotch like you're expecting something tasty to come out???

NMU Hockey: No Focke. No Scharge. The curse has been lifted and the turnaround begins!

"'Tech' means nerd, and nerds suck at sports." - Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by M-HockeyNet View Post
                      Not surprised by the Gibson flip when you look at OSU's recruiting class for next year. I know they got a new coach and all, but talk about a total rebuild. Before Gibson switched, they had 15 (!) recruits for next season, including THREE goaltender recruits. Not surprised they lost out on one of them. Bad for them, good for us!
                      Saw that in the Fort, and wondered what happened- now I see how OSU was oversubscribed. Hope he reminds us of some previous large UM goalies. They worked out pretty well, even starting as Freshman...

Comment

But a 12,000 seat place could easily double the attendance we get at Yost. I don't see the U having the money for a new arena that size or even the land to build on.
                        I agree with Streaker, on some days, we could double the attendance, but on most nights, how many more fans will we see?

It's one thing to have the biggest arena in the CCHA, but quite another to have the second smallest in the BTHC.
                        I think tOSU has the biggest arena in the CCHA and will probably have the biggest arena in the B1G TEN as well.
                        Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

• Teddy Bear Toss

who did it first?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRmXEvviRMM
                          Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
                          Row 1
                          Seats 6 & 7
                          Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

David Brandon just gave the Det News an interview and talked about how he is approaching the Regents about another Yost renovation- paraphrasing here, he said that the bones are good but old, so they are limited to some of the ideas- but wants to look at new bleacher configurations and concessions considerations.
                            I don't see what else they could do for bleacher configurations or concessions.
                            I love Yost and really don't want to see a new building because of the closeness to the action.
                            In many respects Oosterbaan would be like Yost. Both are square fieldhouses. In order to get up to 12,000 In the 'O' they would have to pack them in on the sides and up the the rafters behind the goals. But because the 'O' is longer you would be able to have better/bigger offices and lockerrooms as well as slightly roomier corridors. (albeit offset by more people)
                            I argue that we don't currently sell out Yost as it is- so what is to say we would have success with a 12,000 seat arena for games that don't generate much interest? Empty seats = lost revenue, as does unused square feet because of fixed costs. It is a debate that is being raised at UNO, also- and you only have to look at Ohio State to see what a detriment a huge arena is at times. We don't need a palace to keep up with the WCHA jones. If that is what is attracting recruits, then they are coming for the wrong reasons.
                            They don't sell out Yost, but they do have a waiting list for season tickets. I do remember when Yost did not sell out. I was there when they had more visting fans than Michigan fans. I remember nights when as a member of the hockey band, we outnumbered the rest of the crowd at Yost. (and the band was smaller than what they have today) Yost did not have the reputation then that it has today. The fans and the teams success made Yost. I have to beleive that in a crowd of 113,000, or even 85,000 that there are a few thousand that don't regularly see the team but would go see them at Yost if the opportunity arises. And if the tBTHC forms, most of those home games would generate more interest.
                            No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Go Blue! I'm new to this board so I just thougt that I'd introduce myself.
                              Originally posted by alfablue
                              Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                              Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                              I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

I love Yost and really don't want to see a new building because of the closeness to the action. I argue that we don't currently sell out Yost as it is- so what is to say we would have success with a 12,000 seat arena for games that don't generate much interest? Empty seats = lost revenue, as does unused square feet because of fixed costs. It is a debate that is being raised at UNO, also- and you only have to look at Ohio State to see what a detriment a huge arena is at times. We don't need a palace to keep up with the WCHA jones. If that is what is attracting recruits, then they are coming for the wrong reasons.
                                I don't want a bigger Yost, either. Not just the closeness of the action, but I fear going to a 12,000 seat arena (full or not) just won't have the same atmosphere/experience for the fans. 1,500-2,000 students in Yost chanting, you hear it. But, say, stick a rink in Crisler Arena (for size comparison) where it's more open and the seats farther back and with the same amount of students and it just doesn't have the same impact. If they ever build a new arena, at most I'd like to see is 7-8K capacity max, but definitely they need to keep the seating close to the action (i.e. keep the upper deck seating hanging over the lower bowl like they do over the student section) so it continues have the Yost-like atmosphere that makes games so much fun to go to.
                                Michigan Hockey Net
                                Follow MHNet on Twitter

NMUKat82 to my dog Cinnamon: Will you stop eyeballing my crotch like you're expecting something tasty to come out???

NMU Hockey: No Focke. No Scharge. The curse has been lifted and the turnaround begins!

"'Tech' means nerd, and nerds suck at sports." - Stephen Colbert

Comment

Working...
                                X