X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of North Dakota, version 2.0

Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
    Minot State has an interesting roster. It is stocked mostly with recruits from western Canada. Looks as if they are already offering scholarships. Seems like they could transition into DI if they have an arena and could get into a conference.
    I'm not sure what arena they would play in, especially in the WCHA. There is Maysa Arena, which doesn't seat all that many, and then the All-Seasons Arena which supposedly seats 3,900. Perhaps it has been renovated, but I always thought that it seated about 2500 or so. Saying that, the All-Seasons Arena is pretty old, and I would think that if they were going to go D-1, they would need a new arena. The oil money is pretty big in Minot, so I would imagine that they could probably get something suitable for the WCHA built.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
      I'm not sure what arena they would play in, especially in the WCHA. There is Maysa Arena, which doesn't seat all that many, and then the All-Seasons Arena which supposedly seats 3,900. Perhaps it has been renovated, but I always thought that it seated about 2500 or so. Saying that, the All-Seasons Arena is pretty old, and I would think that if they were going to go D-1, they would need a new arena. The oil money is pretty big in Minot, so I would imagine that they could probably get something suitable for the WCHA built.
      The All Seasons Arena has been renovated recently. I haven't been to a hockey game in it for a long time (pre-renovation), but its looking pretty good these days. Minot State might want to upgrade if they ever do go DI, but there are DI schools that play in lesser facilities.
      sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Yes, I know that everyone has had enough of the nickname issue, but I'm posting this article anyway. It makes my blood boil! Hypocritical aholes!! Its not OK to use the Fighting Sioux nickname for athletics because the PC ****s got their way, and because its degrading to the Indians. But its OK to use the Sioux Award because it is awarded by the Alumni Assoc and not the university? Its an honor when it is bestowed by the Alumni Assoc but racist when the same term is used for the athletic teams? What a crock of ****!

A committee working on UND’s transition from the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo will recommend to President Robert Kelley that the university also discontinue their use by all nonathletic organizations and activities directly connected to the school.

The 21-member panel, whose members include administrators, faculty, staff, students and community members, fine-tuned its report Tuesday and expects to formally adopt its report early next month, in time for Kelley to review the recommendation with members of his transition cabinet Jan. 19.

The recommendation from the Honoring History and Tradition Task Group would apply to such uses as names and logos on UND clothing and other merchandise, graduation diplomas, UND TV and radio marketing, UND publications, the UND Fighting Sioux ROTC battalion, Sioux Laundry, the Soaring Sioux hot air balloon club and the Sioux Strong breast cancer organization.

But the “Sioux” name is likely to continue in some indirect non-athletic uses, including the Sioux Award, for decades the highest honor bestowed by the Alumni Association.

Tim O’Keefe, executive vice president of the association and a member of the transition panel, said the award has a long history of its own and should continue.

Also, the Sioux Award is bestowed by the association, not the university, and it has no connection to athletics, O’Keefe said, which “puts it outside the domain” of the university’s legal settlement with the NCAA, which had sought elimination of Native American nicknames and logos used by collegiate athletic teams.

To comply with terms of the settlement, the transition is to be complete by Aug. 25, 2011.

Keep Sioux Award or let it go, too?

In recent weeks, members of the history and traditions group twice filled out questionnaires to gauge sentiment for retaining or discontinuing various uses.

There was unanimous or near-unanimous support for eliminating most of the “UND non-athletic uses.” The committee also sampled members’ opinions on “non-UND supporting uses,” and nearly 60 percent said the Sioux Award name should go.

O’Keefe said he will recommend retaining the name for the award when the governance committee of the Alumni Association’s board meets in mid-January.

“They’ll have two or three meetings, and, if there are debates or discussions, that’s where they would occur,” he said. The alumni committee would make a recommendation to the full board when it meets on campus in May.

“I have not had any discussion about the Sioux Award with our board, but I would be very surprised if there would be any movement toward a change,” he said. “There’s nothing today I could see that would lead me to think otherwise.”

O’Keefe said it’s clear that some applications of the Sioux name under review by the committee are destined to go away, along with “things that already have been decided, if they have anything to do with athletics,” such as the Fighting Sioux Club, Sioux Crew and the Sioux Sports Show.

“The ‘Sioux-per Swing’ golf tournaments are done,” he said. “The Fighting Sioux Club will change its name. It’s athletic, it’s specific to the (NCAA) settlement, and we’ll follow the institution’s lead on that.

“But others like the Sioux Award — each has its own history, and that history has to be considered.”

The task group has considered including in its report to Kelley a suggestion that private businesses using the Sioux name, such as Siouxland Buffalo, be encouraged to go with the transition. “But when you talk about things in the private sector, I think that’s outside our business (to recommend retaining or retiring),” O’Keefe said in an interview prior to Tuesday’s meeting. “The public will decide that with their feet and their wallets.”

“Sioux’ since 1962

The Alumni Association gave its first “service award” in 1949 to one of UND’s first graduates, M. Beatrice Johnstone. The award was made annual and its name was changed in 1956 to Distinguished Service Citation, and former UND presidents, benefactor Chester Fritz and bandleader Lawrence Welk were among the honorees.

The name was changed to the Sioux Award in 1962.

“I haven’t solicited their thoughts on this, but I’ve had several winners comment to me about how this is for them the greatest honor they’ve received in their life,” O’Keefe said. “They feel very strongly about the continuance of the award.”

One of this year’s Sioux Award winners, former Grand Forks Mayor H.C. “Bud” Wessman, said his plaque rests on the fireplace mantle in his Fargo home, and he hopes “that it continues to be known as the Sioux Award” in years to come.

“To me, the name represents a very proud heritage,” he said.

“In my acceptance speech, I said that if you look carefully at the state seal, you’ll see that mighty Sioux warrior astride his pony. If it was important to recognize and honor that back in 1889 when they started this great state, it’s probably even more important today.”

Other 2010 Sioux Award winners were Howard Dahl, an entrepreneur in the field of farm implements; Greg Page, chairman and CEO of Cargill, and Mary Wakefield, former director of the UND Medical School’s Center for Rural Health and now head of the U.S. Health Resources and Services Administration.

Honorees in 2009 included former Gov. Ed Schafer and NASA astronaut Karen Nyberg.
        Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
          The All Seasons Arena has been renovated recently. I haven't been to a hockey game in it for a long time (pre-renovation), but its looking pretty good these days. Minot State might want to upgrade if they ever do go DI, but there are DI schools that play in lesser facilities.
          Interesting. I have a lot of fond memories of watching the Minot Americans in that arena. Saying that, it's still a little on the small side for the WCHA. Having been to many of the CCHA rinks, it's a perfect fit there. However, a WCHA w/o Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota, DU, CC, UMD/SCSU/UNO, would be a good fit for Minot State if they ever went D-1.
          North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
            Interesting. I have a lot of fond memories of watching the Minot Americans in that arena. Saying that, it's still a little on the small side for the WCHA. Having been to many of the CCHA rinks, it's a perfect fit there. However, a WCHA w/o Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota, DU, CC, UMD/SCSU/UNO, would be a good fit for Minot State if they ever went D-1.
            I completely agree that its on the small side for the WCHA, thus my statement that "Minot State might want to upgrade if they ever do go DI". I think they would have to upgrade just to be competative with the UND's, Denver's, etc for recruits. However, I think it would work in the short term if the transition was being made.

Comment

I completely agree that its on the small side for the WCHA, thus my statement that "Minot State might want to upgrade if they ever do go DI". I think they would have to upgrade just to be competative with the UND's, Denver's, etc for recruits. However, I think it would work in the short term if the transition was being made.
              Agreed. It would work for awhile if they decided to make the jump.
              North Dakota

Comment

Anyone remember Taylor Dickin, the recruit from earlier this year?
                He joins the team in the semester break:

Now that the semester break is here, UND will soon be adding another player to the roster in former MJHL MVP Taylor Dickin. Because UND can't yet comment on Dickin, it is unclear when exactly he will start practicing with the squad, but it will be happening in the near future — likely after the Hall of Fame Game. Dickin is a 21-year-old from Winnipeg.
                Also, WCH blog had some glowing comments about UND recruits on his review of the US U18 team game vs Cedar Rapids:

Almost all of these guys are in their draft year, so that's a good place to start. As a reminder, NHL Central Scouting had the NTDP players ranked like this: 1. Tyler Biggs 2. JT Miller 3. Rocco Grimaldi 4. Michael Paliotta 5. Adam Reid 6. Robbie Russo 7. Blake Pietila 8. Reid Boucher 9. Dan Carlson, and a couple guys as limited viewing.

I still say Grimaldi is number one without a doubt on my list. I gave up on doubting Grimaldi for his size long ago, and would have him in the top ten, maybe even top five on my draft board. He's just the absolute fastest, most explosive player I've ever seen. He didn't score on this night, but created some great chances that I don't think any other player could have. .

Similarly, JT Miller doesn't necessarily blow you away in the same way Grimaldi does, but is a very smart, crafty offensive player that makes things happen. Another solid second, maybe third round pick.

WCHA recruits Michael Parks and Sam Warning both showed some flashes on offensive skill, but for the most part, were pretty silent on the weekend.
                I can't wait to see Grimaldi, he sounds like quite a fun player to watch.
                I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
                  I can't wait to see Grimaldi, he sounds like quite a fun player to watch.
                  From what I've read I have the impression he could be a Brian Gionta-type player, would that be an accurate comparison?

Comment

From what I've read I have the impression he could be a Brian Gionta-type player, would that be an accurate comparison?
                    I've seen him compared to Gerbe.
                    Small, quick, great hands, able to make an innocent play into a scoring chance, etc.

It'll be interesting to see how high he goes in the draft. I would guess that a team will take a chance with him despite his size, but he'll certainly drop quite a few spots because of it.
                    His size will probably keep him at UND for 3-4 years though, regardless of where he gets drafted...
                    I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

It'll be interesting to see how high he goes in the draft. I would guess that a team will take a chance with him despite his size, but he'll certainly drop quite a few spots because of it.
                      His size will probably keep him at UND for 3-4 years though, regardless of where he gets drafted...
                      Yeah, if he was 6'2" he'd be the #1 pick. Of course, if he was that tall he wouldn't be as fast, and drop quite a bit

It will be a lot of fun watching him play in a Sioux uniform...give him #5 for good measure
                      North Dakota

Comment

• After reading Siouxfaninseattle's post about "Sioux Award winners ... in 2009 included former Gov. Ed Schafer and NASA astronaut Karen Nyberg.", I can't resist adding "... and my mom." She was honored for her work in nursing in ND, as well as the RAIN program (Recruitment and Retention of American Indians into Nursing). Mighty proud of her. It was very cool seeing her in the parade, waving at the crowd along with Karen Nyberg (the astronaut) from a bright yellow convertible.

Comment

A 2-1 exhibition win over the U18 team. The Sioux really outshot them, but the future UMD goalie played very well.
                          The lone U18 goal was scored by Sioux recruit JT Miller.

It sounds like Hextall and Gregoire are both progressing well and could play against UMD.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Nice article on Frattin, and his return to UND:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...cle/id/187416/

This is cool:

The class is so tight that it will be the first Fighting Sioux hockey class in at least 30 years to stick together all four years. Nobody got cut. Nobody transferred. Nobody left the team. Nobody turned pro early.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Nice article on Frattin, and his return to UND:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...cle/id/187416/
                              Terrific article. I hope those Gopher fans who claimed that coming Frattin coming back to UND was easy will read this article to see just how difficult it was.
                              Who decided that we needed both North and South Dakota? It seems like a lot of wasted paperwork to me. -- Creed Bratton

Comment

Nelson with 2 assists in tonights ex. game...

Comment

Working...
                                X