X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of North Dakota, version 2.0

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    The third goal was the weakest of the 4 he gave up. Also, on the 4th he should have done a better job with the rebound and that would have likely avoided the goal. The first two weren't stellar goals by any means, but Brad didn't get much help from his defense. Overall it wasn't a very good performance. I would rate it a D+ to C-. He did make a couple of good saves in the 1st though.

For some reason, the Sioux play much, much better in front of Dell than they do Eidsness. Given that reason, I would expect to see Dell in the nets until Hakstol has a reason to do otherwise.
    I would give Dell more credit than that...he is clearly the better goalie right now IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
      I would give Dell more credit than that...he is clearly the better goalie right now IMHO.
      I guess I just see it differently. The shots that Dell is seeing, for the most part, aren't top notch chances. Eidsness has been left out to dry quite a bit. Saying that, Dell has largely made the saves that he should, while Eidsness has had some struggles with what should be routine saves(getting pulled in 2 of his last 3 starts).

If we don't get better play out of our goalies, we're not going to go very far come March/April. Neither Dell nor Eidsness have a save percentage over 90, which should be a bare minimum for a decent goalie at the NCAA level. If either one of those guys can step up, we'll have a very formidable team. We're strong enough to where we don't need a goalie to "steal" a game, but they at least need to keep us in the game.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

I guess I just see it differently. The shots that Dell is seeing, for the most part, aren't top notch chances. Eidsness has been left out to dry quite a bit. Saying that, Dell has largely made the saves that he should, while Eidsness has had some struggles with what should be routine saves(getting pulled in 2 of his last 3 starts).

If we don't get better play out of our goalies, we're not going to go very far come March/April. Neither Dell nor Eidsness have a save percentage over 90, which should be a bare minimum for a decent goalie at the NCAA level. If either one of those guys can step up, we'll have a very formidable team. We're strong enough to where we don't need a goalie to "steal" a game, but they at least need to keep us in the game.
        you hit it on the head when you said Eidsness is struggling making routine saves. I've said all along that Eidsness doesn't make the big saves that he shouldn't, and now he's not making any big saves at all. You're right in that Dell isn't seeing top notch shots either, but right now, he's the only goalie keeping the Sioux in the games, so there's no reason to go with anyone different. I think giving Brad another start at home is what the doctor ordered, but let's just say I have little confidence in Eidsness right now.
        Sioux Yeah Yeah

Comment

Originally posted by Sloe Gin View Post
          you hit it on the head when you said Eidsness is struggling making routine saves. I've said all along that Eidsness doesn't make the big saves that he shouldn't, and now he's not making any big saves at all. You're right in that Dell isn't seeing top notch shots either, but right now, he's the only goalie keeping the Sioux in the games, so there's no reason to go with anyone different. I think giving Brad another start at home is what the doctor ordered, but let's just say I have little confidence in Eidsness right now.
          Agreed. Like i said earlier, Dell should get the start in net until Hakstol has a good reason to make the change. Hopefully Dell doesn't give him a reason on the ice, and Eidsness earns another start with solid play in practice (and then performs up to his ability when on the ice).
          North Dakota

Comment

Dell needs to be #1 for now. Eidsness always scares me a little bit, and it seems like the team doesn't play with much confidence in him when he's out on the ice. It's too bad because he's a good guy and works hard at it.. unfortunately, you gotta go with the guy who can give you the best chance to win games.

Comment

So was it a glass half full or glass half empty weekend? I think half full - you can't expect to sweep on the road every weekend. It was a tough way to lose, but when you can't put the puck in the net over the course of three periods you don't deserve to win. Let's look forward to a couple wins over ND.
              Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Agreed. Like i said earlier, Dell should get the start in net until Hakstol has a good reason to make the change. Hopefully Dell doesn't give him a reason on the ice, and Eidsness earns another start with solid play in practice (and then performs up to his ability when on the ice).
                I think Brad's just struggling with his confidence a little. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hak give him a start against a team like Mankato. I also think he'll get to play in the exhibition against the juniors team over the holidays.

As for this weekend's play, I think it was a good outcome for the Sioux. UNO is a good team, and they were jacked up for the games. I thought the Sioux generally had the better of the play for the last 5 periods, and really played some outstanding hockey shorthanded.

They now have a chance to put together a nice little run, with their tougher games at home and easier games on the road, for the most part, for the next month plus. Let's hope that happens.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

anyone else notice that in the uscho poll we dropped from 8th to 9th? UNO stays at #4 even though we were the better team most of the weekend and get a split in their barn..... I really don't care about the polls but seems fishy to me.

Comment

anyone else notice that in the uscho poll we dropped from 8th to 9th? UNO stays at #4 even though we were the better team most of the weekend and get a split in their barn..... I really don't care about the polls but seems fishy to me.
                    Yup, somewhere else in this thread you can find me commenting on a similar weekend earlier in the year. We split with a higher ranked team than us, and we drop and they either stay the same or move up..

/clueless

Comment

Polls are based on votes from voters who only see a tiny number of games each weekend, and make decisions largely on scorelines and local preferences. Add up all the ignorance and it's little surprise that teams can move up or down unpredictably. The only poll that matters is the PWR, and that ranking isn't relevant until January, when there are enough NC games to make up comparisons.

Comment

Nothing strange about it at all. You have to look at each team's position, and what happened around them. UND basically swapped with Michigan, who had a nice weekend. UNO stayed in 4th because Maine, who was ahead of them plunged after being swept, and the two teams immediately behind UNO, Miami and UNH either split or had victories over soft competition. If Maine had split and UNH swept, both would likely have knocked UNO back to 6th.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                          They now have a chance to put together a nice little run, with their tougher games at home and easier games on the road, for the most part, for the next month plus. Let's hope that happens.
                          This weekend's series has a lot of importance tied to it. We haven't put up the best numbers in true Non-Conference play (1-2-0)* and after this series, we have only a home series against Robert Morris. If we can sweep this weekend, it will help make up some of what we lost from the series against Maine.

*We play two "non conference" games against WCHA opponents. (Tie against Anchorage and upcoming Hall of Fame Game at Minnesota-Duluth).
                          North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                            Polls are based on votes from voters who only see a tiny number of games each weekend, and make decisions largely on scorelines and local preferences. Add up all the ignorance and it's little surprise that teams can move up or down unpredictably. The only poll that matters is the PWR, and that ranking isn't relevant until January, when there are enough NC games to make up comparisons.
                            +1

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                              I've witnessed one voter go through the process. It's ridiculously complicated. And there's so much that gets weighed in.
                              Sioux Yeah Yeah

Comment

ECACHL_Writer gets to vote in the poll, so that should give you an idea of how worthless it is. That guy's a hack.

Comment

Working...
                                X