Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2010 Offseason VI: The NHL's CBA Doesn't Appear to Have Been a Boon for the Tute.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2010 Offseason VI: The NHL's CBA Doesn't Appear to Have Been a Boon for the Tute.

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    I now don't just feel old-I realize I am old. A grandson?
    I think what made it worse was that Bobby Baun's son never made it. There have been grandsons of Boom Boom Geoffrion, but since I remember the intervening generation, it really didn't bother me.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Re: RPI 2010 Offseason VI: The NHL's CBA Doesn't Appear to Have Been a Boon for the Tute.

On vvacation, on the beach I get a text pirri has left too . What a downer. Let's hope freshman produce right away. On a + note there redoing hfh next summer
      I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
        As we all know, Appert's run and gun style leaves open the chance for odd man rushes...comes with the territory. So yes, the forwards better be ready for sprints back down the ice..and York will need to be on his game, which I expect he will be.

I think Burger Jr., Rabbani, Malchuk & Co. will need to set the tone in neutral ice to keep opponents honest...the expectation needs to be that opposing puck carriers expect to be hit ...keeping the "figure skating" to a minimum..which we did to perfection in the two games vs. Yale.
        Totally agree WS. However, it is the neutral ice contact that seems to put us in the penalty box more often than not.
        Don't get me wrong, I believe that we still have a very talented team, and should contend for a home ice playoff spot. But we are going to have to work that much harder and smarter to get there.
        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
        Benjamin Franklin
        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
        Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          I think what made it worse was that Bobby Baun's son never made it. There have been grandsons of Boom Boom Geoffrion, but since I remember the intervening generation, it really didn't bother me.
          I am in the same boat. I still remember the story of the Stanley Cup where Baun played with a broken ankle. Old Time Hockey for sure!
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
            Totally agree WS. However, it is the neutral ice contact that seems to put us in the penalty box more often than not.
            Don't get me wrong, I believe that we still have a very talented team, and should contend for a home ice playoff spot. But we are going to have to work that much harder and smarter to get there.
            I sure hope we are not in the penalty box all that much-one of the places we will miss JD'A is on the short handed situations where other teams had to respect his speed and tenacity.

Comment

I'm an optimist and was never a big fan of the 'piece of cake' success story...it's the success story in which the struggle means the most...the overwhelming obstacles riddled with gut wrenching disappointment. This could turn out to be a Sport's Illustrated Cover Story (it might not, but I like to speculate )

Comment

Originally posted by babo View Post
                I'm an optimist and was never a big fan of the 'piece of cake' success story...it's the success story in which the struggle means the most...the overwhelming obstacles riddled with gut wrenching disappointment. This could turn out to be a Sport's Illustrated Cover Story (it might not, but I like to speculate )
                I'm an optimist as well-but I prefer stories with lots of violence or gratuitous sex (actually stories with violence and gratuitous sex).

Comment

Interesting piece from the S-F detailing the departure of Cornwall's business & ops manager...for lack of pay. Apparently, he hadn't been paid in 9 months? MacInnis is trying to buy out his partner to take full ownership of the team...or perhaps, they're using all their cash to pay JL?

http://www.standard-freeholder.com/A...aspx?e=2727528
                  Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 08-25-2010, 02:25 PM.
                  ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by rvd5star69 View Post
                    On vvacation, on the beach I get a text pirri has left too . What a downer. Let's hope freshman produce right away. On a + note there redoing hfh next summer
                    Wow.
                    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by babo View Post
                      I tend to agree Babo, but the faithful have endured many years of lacklusterness (how's that for a G.W. Bush-ism? ) I was kind of hoping we could have at least one year of payback offensive whoop arse.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                        I tend to agree Babo, but the faithful have endured many years of lacklusterness (how's that for a G.W. Bush-ism? ) I was kind of hoping we could have at least one year of payback offensive whoop arse.
                        Wicked-I would not rule it out just yet-but all season many of us will always wonder what could have been with everyone coming back. I really think we would have been a very potent team which is why I bought my AC ECAC tournament tickets so early. I still think we get there this year-but I was hoping we would be the favorites there.

Comment

Wicked-I would not rule it out just yet-but all season many of us will always wonder what could have been with everyone coming back. I really think we would have been a very potent team which is why I bought my AC ECAC tournament tickets so early. I still think we get there this year-but I was hoping we would be the favorites there.
                          Amen.

I think that we will now need a significant contribution from the freshman forwards when before we could let them slowly develop.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Wow. I hope this was a typo. RPI should be shooting for a bye, not maybe kinda hoping for home ice in the first weekend of March. The Engineers definitely have the talent, they just need to make sure the effort is there for every Friday and Saturday night, not just every other game.

I sure hope we are not in the penalty box all that much-one of the places we will miss JD'A is on the short handed situations where other teams had to respect his speed and tenacity.
                            Agreed, Doc. JD'A and Chase were a fearsome twosome on the PK.
                            Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post

Agreed, Doc. JD'A and Chase were a fearsome twosome on the PK.
                              For the first time in many years-I was actually comfortable when we went down one man. Two men down was still a major problem but the normal short handed situations just were not scary. It remains to be seen who takes those roles this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                Amen.

I think that we will now need a significant contribution from the freshman forwards when before we could let them slowly develop.
                                Exactly-Hopefully many of our concerns will be laid to rest early in the season. I have always felt that the truly gifted players fit right in and step up-we will need a couple of those this year. BTW I think we have them-I have very high hopes for Tinordi and I can't wait to see Rogic and Higgs and what they bring to the table. I think it is a lot to ask of Chase to repeat the year he just had but his talent is unquestionable. The mystery in my mind concerns Helfrich. Is he physically well? Will he regain the touch we saw a couple years ago? I think that will be one of the major questions for the season but i think we may find out the answers in the first couple games.

Comment

Working...
                                X