Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2010 Offseason VI: The NHL's CBA Doesn't Appear to Have Been a Boon for the Tute.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI 2010 Offseason VI: The NHL's CBA Doesn't Appear to Have Been a Boon for the Tute.

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
    Yeah, well... if Jerry plays the way he probably will, I'm sure he won't exactly be broken up that it won't be free to finish his degree if he chooses to do so.

I'm sorry, you wouldn't have dropped out of school if someone offered you $250,000 right then and there to do something YOU were good at? If you say no, you're a liar.
    Call me whatever you like but I would not have left. I like insurance.

Comment

Re: RPI 2010 Offseason VI: The NHL's CBA Doesn't Appear to Have Been a Boon for the Tute.

Originally posted by Beman View Post
      Call me whatever you like but I would not have left. I like insurance.
      For what he was being offered, he's a fool not to take the money. Say he breaks his leg in two places next season. There goes his career... there goes the money.
      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

For what he was being offered, he's a fool not to take the money. Say he breaks his leg in two places next season. There goes his career... there goes the money.
        If he stays at RPI and breaks his leg he finishes his education.
        If he breaks it in the ahl all he has is his money. Unless he buys some kind of policy... it won't last forever.
        I am sure he has a 2 way so if he isn't playing well he only comes up when and if they need him.

Comment

The other thing is that the clock starts ticking earlier towards free agency when the big contracts get signed. Assuming they ended last season as freshman or sophs that gives them a 2 to 3 year head start on playing out the rookie contract and free agency then if they stayed all 4 years. That is one of the main reasons players today are leaving earlier. They get the oppurtunity at more years at the big money. Paul Stastny is a great example of that. He is making huge dollars for a player that left in 2006 and should have graduated in 2008. He is going to make $6.6 million this coming season after 4 years in the NHL. Had he played all 4 years in college, he would still be on his rookie contract.
          DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

That's it exactly DU78.
            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

If he stays at RPI and breaks his leg he finishes his education.
              If he breaks it in the ahl all he has is his money. Unless he buys some kind of policy... it won't last forever.
              I am sure he has a 2 way so if he isn't playing well he only comes up when and if they need him.
              You're absolutely right. All he has is the $270k and the pro-rated $67.5k. But, and here comes the surprise, he has the ability to go back to school! Unfortunately, he's at least 270k richer. Such a shame that he broke his leg that he can't go back to get an education. Because the leg and brain are connected in ways that only very certain people know about, and they haven't enlightened the rest of us yet.
              Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                I come from that era as you know. I dislike anyone we play agianst but I reserve the real animosity for Clarkson, SLU and Cornell. I also have an added amount of venom for the Hockey East teams that left the ECAC years ago with a particular dislike for BU.
                OK, where to start. First off, I have to admit to having a soft spot in my heart (head?) for Clarkson. My Dad was an alum and my first introduction to college hockey was family trips to root for Clarkson against Yale. So good family memories are intertwined with Clarkson Hockey. There was much gnashing of teeth when I elected to go to the ‘Tute. I also have a soft spot for Union, as No.2 son came this (holds two fingers really close together) to going there (He’s now at Lafayette, no hockey). Also, I like every Union alum that I know. I’m also with RB on this; Union wasn’t anywhere on my hockey radar when I was a student (D3 didn’t count). That being said, I want RPI to beat both of them every time.
                As far as dislikes: Cornell tops the list, for all of the obvious reasons (both on and off the ice). Hate their style (even though I respect their success). Never met a Cornell Alum who wasn’t arrogant. Harvard and Yale are also near the top, just on principals. I also agree with the good Dr. on holding a continuing animus towards those that bolted the ECAC to HockeyEast, with special disdain for BU. Having spent years at Wisconsin, one would think that I have an affinity for them. Wrong. I was there during the Tony Granato, Chris Chelios, Mike Richter era. The only one that I thought was a decent person was Richter, class act in every way.

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                  You're absolutely right. All he has is the $270k and the pro-rated $67.5k. But, and here comes the surprise, he has the ability to go back to school! Unfortunately, he's at least 270k richer. Such a shame that he broke his leg that he can't go back to get an education. Because the leg and brain are connected in ways that only very certain people know about, and they haven't enlightened the rest of us yet.
                  I've lost touch-will 270k buy you 3 complete years at RPI these days?
                  Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                    The other thing is that the clock starts ticking earlier towards free agency when the big contracts get signed. Assuming they ended last season as freshman or sophs that gives them a 2 to 3 year head start on playing out the rookie contract and free agency then if they stayed all 4 years. That is one of the main reasons players today are leaving earlier. They get the oppurtunity at more years at the big money. Paul Stastny is a great example of that. He is making huge dollars for a player that left in 2006 and should have graduated in 2008. He is going to make $6.6 million this coming season after 4 years in the NHL. Had he played all 4 years in college, he would still be on his rookie contract.
                    makes sense if he doesn't get hurt and JD's career follows the same path but with all due respect he ain't no Paul Stasny.

Comment

if you don't eat

Comment

makes sense if he doesn't get hurt and JD's career follows the same path but with all due respect he ain't no Paul Stasny.
                        We were all pretty shocked when Stastny left to turn pro and even more shocked when he made the Avs out of his rookie training camp. It worked out well for him and I am sure other high draft picks look at what he did as a model for their path.
                        DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                          We were all pretty shocked when Stastny left to turn pro and even more shocked when he made the Avs out of his rookie training camp. It worked out well for him and I am sure other high draft picks look at what he did as a model for their path.
                          and that can be unfortunate

Comment

With an extra hundred grand to spare.
                            Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              I think I might be in the minority here that I don't actually dislike Cornell all that much.
                              Dude, you asked for it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

You're probably a Red Sox fan also
                              "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Not after taxes!

Comment

Working...
                                X