Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2010 Offseason VI: The NHL's CBA Doesn't Appear to Have Been a Boon for the Tute.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2010 Offseason VI: The NHL's CBA Doesn't Appear to Have Been a Boon for the Tute.

Originally posted by babo View Post
    We all know that mistakes are mad at ALL level of officiating (God knows, you couldn't pay me enough to be a ref at youth OR H.S. events...). What I constantly wonder (and I'd like anyone to insert what they know here): do they not watch game film as part of their 'professional development'? Shouldn't there be some accountability for a pattern of behavior (or lack thereof)? They have access to a myriad of resources. Or have they just resorted to, "He can skate, so give him a whistle and let's sit back and watch what happens..."
    Not to mention how their officiating is impacting our country's future. Look at the colorful language those children learn when the refs are given an informal assessment of their performance at the tunnel... and yes I know some of that they learned from me.

We also have to figure this is a second job for everyone (except MAYBE Mr. Hagwell), and they're doing it out of love of the game, and a few extra bucks. You're not going to see everything, and you might screw up here and there. I'm not sure how much time they have available to review their performance, or if they'd get compensated for doing this. Sometimes you have to take what you can get.

Comment

• Re: RPI 2010 Offseason VI: The NHL's CBA Doesn't Appear to Have Been a Boon for the Tute.

Just talked to one of the players on the women's hockey team, and she said that they get to practice tonight on the ice at the Houston Field House. We're that much closer to the renovations being ready for games!

Comment

We all know that mistakes are mad at ALL level of officiating (God knows, you couldn't pay me enough to be a ref at youth OR H.S. events...). What I constantly wonder (and I'd like anyone to insert what they know here): do they not watch game film as part of their 'professional development'? Shouldn't there be some accountability for a pattern of behavior (or lack thereof)? ..."
        Couldn't agree more Babo -- I have a buddy who is a youth ref here locally. He was and is a great skater and hockey player (he still plays in an adult league at HFH). He knows the rules as well as anyone I've ever met (including my father who was a college ref). He refs because he loves the game and it keeps him involved while he is teaching the game to his two young sons in pee wees. Sadly, he has no use for the politics and cronyism that goes on in the officiating world (its really too bad, because if anyone does, he belongs in the training program in the ECAC.)

We sit together at HFH and he just shakes his head at some of the calls made -- and often not made -- by the officials.

That's a great point raised about what processes the ECAC uses for prof. development. Sadly, the director of officiating seems to have such a thin skin, that reporters don't want to ask those questions, for fear of getting their head torn off.
        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          Not to mention how their officiating is impacting our country's future. Look at the colorful language those children learn when the refs are given an informal assessment of their performance at the tunnel... and yes I know some of that they learned from me.

We also have to figure this is a second job for everyone (except MAYBE Mr. Hagwell), and they're doing it out of love of the game, and a few extra bucks. You're not going to see everything, and you might screw up here and there.
          They do it to stroke their ego. Look at Emmination (I know spelled wrong) he skates around like a ballet dancer singing look at me! Look at me!

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post

We also have to figure this is a second job for everyone (except MAYBE Mr. Hagwell), and they're doing it out of love of the game, and a few extra bucks. You're not going to see everything, and you might screw up here and there. I'm not sure how much time they have available to review their performance, or if they'd get compensated for doing this. Sometimes you have to take what you can get.
            The league brought Paul Stewart in - with some fanfare - as an admission that ECAC officiating needed fixing. I was as optimistic as anyone that his hiring would bring about needed improvement. So far ( I believe he's been on the job for at least 3 years) I haven't seen it.

Also, we can't lay this issue solely at the feet of the ECAC. USA Hockey bears the responsibility for recruiting and training young officials...you can't make things better in any league without a steady flow of young officials who'll push the tenured refs to excel.
            Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 09-13-2010, 09:37 AM.
            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by JCrawford View Post
              Just talked to one of the players on the women's hockey team, and she said that they get to practice tonight on the ice at the Houston Field House. We're that much closer to the renovations being ready for games!
              Great news. I'm sure the players are very happy to not be commuting to practice anymore!

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
                I can only speak for myself but I've been to well officiated games and have no bias against on ice officials just for what they represent.Even in well officiated games there are missed calls(what we all should realize is this is a different game @ ice level than it is 10 rows up).Where I have an issue is when a official injects himself into a game and actually affects the outcome of the game.This happens on a nightly basis in the ECACHL.I actually saw a referee not mentioning any names(Feola) actually call a penalty when he had his back turned to the play...he heard the noise turned around and saw a player laying on the ice and called a penalty for boarding in the last minutes of the game when the team had there goalie pulled and were applying heavy pressure negating the man advantage and effectivly ending the game....THATS WRONG ! I know this is crazy to say but IMO ECACHL officials have a fundamental mis understanding of how a game should be conducted....that comes from the top and thats scary....So There
                I agree with all of this and would add that I have seen just as many bad or missed calls go against opposing teams...a quick glance at any of the in-season team threads shows that it is obviously a league-wide problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                  I agree with all of this and would add that I have seen just as many bad or missed calls go against opposing teams...a quick glance at any of the in-season team threads shows that it is obviously a league-wide problem.
                  It's more than a league-wide problem.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Great news. I'm sure the players are very happy to not be commuting to practice anymore!
                    Yes, they're looking forward to not needing commute. I'd imagine the incoming players are especially looking forward to skating on the ice at the HFH for the first time. The player I spoke with agreed that the Knick wasn't the best of places to skate/play.

Comment

The league brought Paul Stewart in - with some fanfare - as an admission that ECAC officiating needed fixing. I was as optimistic as anyone that his hiring would bring about needed improvement. So far ( I believe he's been on the job for at least 3 years) I haven't seen it.

Also, we can't lay this issue solely at the feet of the ECAC. USA Hockey bears the responsibility for recruiting and training young officials...you can't make things better in any league without a steady flow of young officials who'll push the tenured refs to excel.
                      You prompted a memory that I should have shared from this summer but forgot (ugh...way too much info and not enough capacity!!!)...a gentleman came up to Rich while we were at the Chowder Cup to make note of a particularly large red creature (cretin?) on the ice who was wrecking havoc...The Hubster immediately recognized him as Paul Stewart. He is spending the initial time of his tenure in full evaluation...something that is refreshing if he can pull it off (compared to coming in and shotgun blasting his preconceived solutions into the pie hole of the refs...). Hopefully he will begin to right the listing ref ship...

Comment

WaP Know Your Enemy: St. Lawrence
                        Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

a gentleman came up to Rich while we were at the Chowder Cup to make note of a particularly large red creature (cretin?) on the ice who was wrecking havoc...
                          Wrecking Havoc? This is just music to my ears!!!
                          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

We all know that mistakes are mad at ALL level of officiating (God knows, you couldn't pay me enough to be a ref at youth OR H.S. events...). What I constantly wonder (and I'd like anyone to insert what they know here): do they not watch game film as part of their 'professional development'? Shouldn't there be some accountability for a pattern of behavior (or lack thereof)? They have access to a myriad of resources. Or have they just resorted to, "He can skate, so give him a whistle and let's sit back and watch what happens..."
                            I never want to see a stat sheet that even remotely looks like this again-
                            http://www.collegehockeystats.net/08...s/mcorren1.m14
                            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                              I never want to see a stat sheet that even remotely looks like this again-
                              http://www.collegehockeystats.net/08...s/mcorren1.m14
                              seconded
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

You prompted a memory that I should have shared from this summer but forgot (ugh...way too much info and not enough capacity!!!)...a gentleman came up to Rich while we were at the Chowder Cup to make note of a particularly large red creature (cretin?) on the ice who was wrecking havoc...The Hubster immediately recognized him as Paul Stewart. He is spending the initial time of his tenure in full evaluation...something that is refreshing if he can pull it off (compared to coming in and shotgun blasting his preconceived solutions into the pie hole of the refs...). Hopefully he will begin to right the listing ref ship...
                                I actually like Stewart and his Southie demeanor (its in my blood)..he was an enforcer back in his playing days, so I'm not surprised he noticed the BRO...

To be fair, I have seen several referee evaluators in the stands at HFH (including former NHL'er Kevin Collins) and elsewhere in the past few years....so they are definitely watching. Part of the issue lies in the numbers -- Stewart might very well wish to remove a couple of refs from their jobs, but you have to have someone competent who can replace them... I guess we can hope that progress will follow. We have started seeing some new names -- mostly linesmen -- so my guess is Stewart is spending a lot of time building the ranks of officials.

I just looked it up for folks, who don't know of him. I wasn't far off, Stewart has been on the job since July '07.
                                http://www.ecachockey.com/men/Officiating_Staff/index
                                Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 09-13-2010, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X