Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2010 Offseason VI: The NHL's CBA Doesn't Appear to Have Been a Boon for the Tute.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2010 Offseason VI: The NHL's CBA Doesn't Appear to Have Been a Boon for the Tute.

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I always envision coaches being able to get around such dates.
    I don't see why they should be able to; even if they're athletes, it's still college first and sports second according to the administration. Just please don't give Bear Red any reason to start yapping here.

Comment

• Re: RPI 2010 Offseason VI: The NHL's CBA Doesn't Appear to Have Been a Boon for the Tute.

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      I don't see why they should be able to; even if they're athletes, it's still college first and sports second according to the administration. Just please don't give Bear Red any reason to start yapping here.
      So you would deny an outstanding athlete the advantage of an RPI education, just because he was a little late to the party.
      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
      Benjamin Franklin
      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
      Gary Player

Comment

Dude-They should not be able to get around these kinds of things-but it is done all the time at lots of places. In the real world rules only exist for those of us who follow them.
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

According to RPInfo, all payments and such were due August 13th...
          I'm guessing that the bursar's office would not be a stop on JL's freshman campus tour.
          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
            Dude-They should not be able to get around these kinds of things-but it is done all the time at lots of places. In the real world rules only exist for those of us who follow them.
            ...and that it's only illegal if you get caught. I know the sayings, and I know that the world isn't Utopia. But, because I'm not involved with the inner workings of the 'tute, I wouldn't know for sure what RPI would do in this case; the guess I made earlier was obviously a guess.
            Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 08-26-2010, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
              Bottom line is whether a kid gets the work done in class. If they handle the work, there is no issue...if I were a Prof., I'd have the same opinion. Also, if memory serves, there is an add/drop period at the beginning of each semester to allow for such changes and late arrivals. My recollection from back in the day was that if a student has the academic chops and the check clears, the schools almost always find a way to get the kid enrolled. Schools have to make payroll too.

That said, its a moot point for me, as I don't have any expectations that JL is headed here now or later.
              Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 08-26-2010, 12:36 PM.
              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

FWIW and to refresh my own memory, here are some notes on Rogic and Higgs...

Johnny Rogic LC 6-0 190 Alberni Valley Bulldogs (BCHL)
                • 59games 18 goals 29 assists 47 points … 36 PIM
                • 13 playoff games … 6 goals 4 assists 10 points … 8 PIM
                Appert: "...“Johnny is a very versatile and fast forward. He has the competitiveness and intelligence to play against opponents’ top lines ... extremely fast and creates offense in different ways... has the ability to create offense but also, he’s a hard-nosed player who can be a good penalty killer.”

Brock Higgs LC 5-11 185 Kingston, ON/Kingston Voyageurs
                • 48 games … 22 goals and 34 assists for 56 points … 82PIM
                • 17 playoff games … 6 goals and 12 assists for 18 points … 16 PIM
                Appert: “smart, skilled and competitive offensive player... good offensive instincts and creativity... at his best in the corners and scoring in the tough areas around the front of the net. He has had two very successful seasons in Kingston with strong playoff performances in both... one of those guys who scores goals in big games. He’s a good skater who plays with a bite.”

On a side note, I saw Higgs in street clothes last year and he's well on his way to being built like a fire hydrant... not unlike JDA in stature. I can seem him assuming some of the "corner rat" chores that Jerry did so well.

Comment

...and that it's only illegal if you get caught. I know the sayings..
                  How about the oldie but goodie: "Its easier to ask for fogiveness than for permission."

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                    How about the oldie but goodie: "Its easier to ask for fogiveness than for permission."
                    They even spelled it that way back then?

With the other post: Given the stats of these players, they look to be about the same size as Pirri and D'Amigo at this point compared to the latter pair's freshman campaign. I won't compare play talent because I have not seen the former pair play, but given Appert's description (assuming some optimism in his words), it sounds like we have some players that will do the same jobs and hopefully just as well.
                    Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 08-26-2010, 01:07 PM.

Comment

They even spelled it that way back then?
                      Fo shore...

Comment

Scoreboard hung in Dubuque...in one day I might add. There's hope for RPI yet...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...d=367960934569

Comment

Scoreboard hung in Dubuque...in one day I might add. There's hope for RPI yet...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...d=367960934569
                          They really moved it along, looks like they're pretty close to starting up some practices in there.

I wonder how HFH is looking. I know the students are back on campus, wonder if any of them (whether they post here or not) have seen any further progress? Obviously we have WaP's pictures as well.

Comment

FWIW and to refresh my own memory, here are some notes on Rogic and Higgs...

Johnny Rogic LC 6-0 190 Alberni Valley Bulldogs (BCHL)
                            • 59games 18 goals 29 assists 47 points … 36 PIM
                            • 13 playoff games … 6 goals 4 assists 10 points … 8 PIM
                            Appert: "...“Johnny is a very versatile and fast forward. He has the competitiveness and intelligence to play against opponents’ top lines ... extremely fast and creates offense in different ways... has the ability to create offense but also, he’s a hard-nosed player who can be a good penalty killer.”

Brock Higgs LC 5-11 185 Kingston, ON/Kingston Voyageurs
                            • 48 games … 22 goals and 34 assists for 56 points … 82PIM
                            • 17 playoff games … 6 goals and 12 assists for 18 points … 16 PIM
                            Appert: “smart, skilled and competitive offensive player... good offensive instincts and creativity... at his best in the corners and scoring in the tough areas around the front of the net. He has had two very successful seasons in Kingston with strong playoff performances in both... one of those guys who scores goals in big games. He’s a good skater who plays with a bite.”

On a side note, I saw Higgs in street clothes last year and he's well on his way to being built like a fire hydrant... not unlike JDA in stature. I can seem him assuming some of the "corner rat" chores that Jerry did so well.
                            Make no mistake these are 2 top recruits they just got lost in the BP/JDA glare.Now they will be given every opportunity to shine and I believe they will.I'm expecting double digit goals and assist out of these 2,and double digit assist out of Bailen and Koudys.My concern is depth not in numbers but in skill thats was what really left a mark with the signings.
                            What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
                              Make no mistake these are 2 top recruits they just got lost in the BP/JDA glare.Now they will be given every opportunity to shine and I believe they will.I'm expecting double digit goals and assist out of these 2,and double digit assist out of Bailen and Koudys.My concern is depth not in numbers but in skill thats was what really left a mark with the signings.
                              I agree about Rogic and Higgs, also about Bailen. Koudys is more of a defensive defenseman however, but I guess that he could surprise.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Bottom line is whether a kid gets the work done in class. If they handle the work, there is no issue...if I were a Prof., I'd have the same opinion. Also, if memory serves, there is an add/drop period at the beginning of each semester to allow for such changes and late arrivals. My recollection from back in the day was that if a student has the academic chops and the check clears, the schools almost always find a way to get the kid enrolled. Schools have to make payroll too.

That said, its a moot point for me, as I don't have any expectations that JL is headed here now or later.
                                I still think that the JL soap opera will continue, but you hit the nail on the head that if SA and JL wanted JL to attend RPI next week and the SAT scores were adequate, the hockey staff would be trying their ****edest to get him through the system. No doubt a lot of the materials were already submitted over the last two years.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X