• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: bragging rights

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
    And no hockey players on the list...

Osorojo,

Let me ask you a question in all seriousness. Wouldn't you expect the most successfull hockeyplayers to be NHL players? If they are successful enough they played a long career and retired.

At UVM the most successfull hockey player is Martin St. Louis.
    but Mr. Jerry York wasn't a successful NHL player or an NHL player for that matter...... .he gets my vote for my alma mater his accomplishments need not be mentioned we know what they are

Comment

Originally posted by quiddlet View Post
      I think you mean the USCHO rep mob
      Nah...
      Originally posted by Hokydad
      Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
        but Mr. Jerry York wasn't a successful NHL player or an NHL player for that matter...... .he gets my vote for my alma mater his accomplishments need not be mentioned we know what they are
        There's an exception or two to every rule I would give him a vote as well if I was a BC alum...

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
          Who cares about some foreigner, who came to America and denied an American the eduction they needed to succeed. Wouldn't it be a lot better if American tax money was spent to educate American kids?
          If not for those foreigners, hockey as we know it in America would not exist. The man that has done more for US hockey, more than even Herb Brooks perhaps, was Canadian born Gino Gasparini, the "architect" of the USHL.

The USHL is America's only Tier I league and the premier path for developing players in America. The league has over 145 current players committed to Division I colleges.

Gasparini came to the USHL in 1995, following a distinguished career as the head coach and athletic director at the University of North Dakota, where he led his teams to three national titles. His tenure in the USHL has been just as successful. In 13 seasons as the league's leader, Gasparini has transformed the USHL from a run-of-the-mill junior league into the biggest supplier of talent to NCAA Division I college hockey. The growth isn't reserved for college hockey alone. Attendance numbers have reached unprecedented heights, the league has experienced successful expansion and ownership has stabilized. The number of players chosen by, and ultimately appearing on NHL rosters, has skyrocketed under Gasparini's watch. He was the driving force behind the league's campaign for Tier I status, a classification which the league received from USA Hockey in 2002. Clearly, Gasparini's vision has made the USHL the hockey development machine that it is today.
          Last edited by SoCalSiouxFan; 08-23-2010, 12:07 PM.
          "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
            If not for those foreigners, hockey as we know it in America would not exist. The man that has done more for US hockey, more than even Herb Brooks perhaps, was Canadian born, Gino Gasparini the "architect" of the USHL.
            Pretty sure he was being sarcastic... putting words in Osrojo's mouth.

Comment

If not for those foreigners, hockey as we know it in America would not exist. The man that has done more for US hockey, more than even Herb Brooks perhaps, was Canadian born, Gino Gasparini the "architect" of the USHL.
              No, Gino is not in Herbie's class. and, in reality, all Gino did was to make American hockey more like Canadian, i.e. young players leaving their home town to go play for a "for profit team", instead of staying on a local amateur team. It is probably better for teams that have never helped to developed local talent, and worse for areas that have.

beside the man who has done more for American hockey is Bettman, after all, who else can put a dozen teams in areas with no native fans, or interest, with a $50 million dollar player bankroll for each.
              XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
              Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

...all Gino did was to make American hockey more like Canadian ....
                So basically he made American hockey better.

Also US born hockey playes and US Colleges don't have to rely so much on Canada to develop talent anymore. Nice to see that the US has a Tier 1 development program. Helps kids from places like California for example where there is no high school hockey.
                "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

No, Gino is not in Herbie's class.
                  Yes I agree.

Gino was a coach turned Athletic Director, turned Leage President, so as a mere coach Herbie would have been his subordinate.

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
                    Who is the most famous person who once played hockey for "your" school, and what accomplishments, in all walks of life, caused this fame?
                    Steve Toll.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Toll

National Lacrosse League Transition Player of the Year, 2007.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                      Pretty sure he was being sarcastic... putting words in Osrojo's mouth.
                      Nah, that's one of Happy's favorite arguing points for the last few years...
                      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                      Originally posted by Quizmire
                      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Yes I agree.

Gino was a coach turned Athletic Director, turned Leage President, so as a mere coach Herbie would have been his subordinate.
                        so, we can conclude you belong to a medical marijuana club.

http://www.losangelescannabisclubs.com/
                        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                        Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                          You win the thread.

You lose the thread.
                          It appears that recognizing famous people who played college hockey is of little interest, but tautologies continue to fascinate. No surprise here.

Grammarians are not logicians. Parsing a sentence is not the same as understanding it. In the phrase "ice hockey" the word "ice" assumes the presence of water, for without water there's no ice, and consequently no "ice hockey." Water is a necessary condition for ice; therefore water is essential to ice hockey, agreed?
                          In the phrase "college hockey" the word "college" assumes the presence of academics, for without academics there's no college, and consequently no "college hockey." Academics are a necessary condition for college, therefore academics are essential to college hockey, agreed? Or shall we continue to dismiss academics and proclaim they are of little interest or value in college hockey?
                          Of course if a clown college or a beautician college sponsored a hockey team the contention that academics played a minor role would gain credibility.
                          Any suggestions for a DI Bozo team, or a DI bikiniwax team? Think of the poll photos!

Comment

Any suggestions for a DI Bozo team
                            How about the Area Clowns? They'd have awesome jerseys.
                            #NewMass

Comment

Who is the most famous person who once played hockey for "your" school, and what accomplishments, in all walks of life, caused this fame?
                              For Denver:

From a pure hockey-only performance standpoint, Denver's most famous player is probably Glenn Anderson, who won Six Stanley Cups in the 80s with Edmonton and is a Hockey Hall of Fame player. His off-ice life, though, is more eccentric than laudatory.

Denver's most beloved player is Keith Magnuson, who won a couple of NCAA titles with DU as a co-captain, and went on to a long playing career with the Chicago Blackhawks, where he was a fan favorite for taking on anyone with his and work ehtic tenacity, even when he often got the worst of it. He later became coach of the Blackhawks, and then a Beverage Executive in Chicago, where his charity work made him a community star. He was killed in a car accident in 2003.

Denver's most famous hockey player + hockey executive is Craig Patrick, who capatained Denver to two National Championships in the late 60s and after his NHL career, went on to become part of the Miracle on Ice in 1980 as assistant coach, became AD at Denver for a stint, then GM of the New York Rangers and later won Stanley Cups as the GM of the Pittsburgh Penguins. His famous family is hockey royalty.

Denver's most famous hockey player who built business success is mutual fund kingpin Jim Swain, who played for DU in the 1950s, and who later became Chairman of Oppenheimer until his retirement in 2003.

DU's most famous hockey player-turned politician is Dave Tomassoni, who played for DU in the 70s, played for Italy in the 1980 Olympics and became a State Senator in Minnesota, where he was the majority whip from 2000-2007.
                              Last edited by Puck Swami; 08-24-2010, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Any suggestions for a DI Bozo team, or a DI bikiniwax team? Think of the poll photos!
                                We have enough problems with DL and Hokydad already...

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                                -Blackadder
                                "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                                -Casablanca
                                "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                                -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Working...
                                X