This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Yale Hockey 2010-2011 thread

So it's either Colgate, Harvard or Quinnipiac. On recent form, if we could choose, I'd pick Quinnipiac. I also think that's the way it will go, but that's why they play the games.

Comment

Originally posted by goblue78 View Post
      So it's either Colgate, Harvard or Quinnipiac. On recent form, if we could choose, I'd pick Quinnipiac. I also think that's the way it will go, but that's why they play the games.
      Uhhhh, no?

If Colgate and SLU win, SLU @ Yale.
      If Colgate and Princeton win, Harvard @ Yale.
      If RPI and Princeton win, QU @ Yale.
      If RPI and SLU win, Harvard @ Yale.

But thanks for writing off SLU already, maybe I shouldn't drive over to Princeton since the game is already over

Comment

Sorry Blue, if Colgate wins they get Union. In a nutshell, here's the deal: 1. RPI wins, Princeton loses............ Bulldogs get Harvard.
        2. RPI loses, P-ton wins................... We also get Harvard.
        3. RPI and Princeton BOTH win.......... Union gets H, and we get Quinnipiac.
        4. RPI and P-ton BOTH lose............... We get St. Lawrence.
        GO BULLDOGS!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I think Princeton will win today, but I think there is a real possibility that Colgate pulls off the upset. Reading the RPI chat boards, it looks like their fans are very pessimistic about their chances. Reading the summaries of the 2 games from the fans, it appears that RPI decisively won the first period on Friday and rode that momentum to victory, but were decisively outplayed by Colgate last night. So if that scenario plays out, Bulldogs get Harvard. In fact, 2 of the 4 scenarios have the Bulldogs playing Harvard, which, IMO, is a good-bad scenario. Good, in that there is no chance the Bulldogs aren't motivated. Bad in that Harvard is clearly playing the best hockey of any of the 4 lower seeded teams.

Comment

Apologies to all... I stand (vehemently) corrected. I thought SLU was the bottom seed for some reason: probably my abject fear of Colgate. Someone remind me next time to actually check the standings before posting. I still think we're getting QU, though.
            Last edited by goblue78; 03-06-2011, 11:41 AM.

Comment

I think RPI will win tonight, according to Priceless if they lose their season is over. I don't think much more motivation will be needed. Home ice should help as well. I hope Yale ends up playing QPac, but, will Yale wins against QPac hurt us in the pairwise?
              YALE HOCKEY
              2013 National Champions

Comment

I haven't looked at it closely, but I don't think so. Remember: RPI is a function of your winning percentage and your opponents, and weakly, your opponents' opponents. Two losses to Yale would lower QU's own percentage to .500, but two more games against Yale raises their opponent's winning percentage, which is already over .500. The key is that the 2-0 victory over Brown leaves them (barely) a TUC even with 2 losses. (I think. Let's see if I can post something else mathematically wrong.)
                Last edited by goblue78; 03-06-2011, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Don't go crazy, I'm still trying to figure how losing to Brown last year got us into the NCAA's
                  YALE HOCKEY
                  2013 National Champions

Comment

It's not that losing to Brown got us in. It's that if we'd beaten Brown and then lost to a TUC in the next round we could have been passed over. Losing to Brown just assured we had no more games to play -- games we could have lost to more important teams, pairwise.

Comment

It's not that losing to Brown got us in. It's that if we'd beaten Brown and then lost to a TUC in the next round we could have been passed over. Losing to Brown just assured we had no more games to play -- games we could have lost to more important teams, pairwise.
                      It's an interesting and convoluted system and I am not complaining because it is benefiting the Bulldogs, but it is ridiculous on it's face that losing earlier in the ECAC play-offs would benefit any team. I understand why losing to Brown was better for the Bulldog's ranking in the pairwise system than losing to a TUC in the semifinals, but it is counterintuitive to say the least

Comment

Princeton ousted.... So it's SLU or Harvard.

Comment

So we are down to this, Harvard or SLU, don't like either, but we do owe SLU a beating.

If Colgate and SLU win, SLU @ Yale.
                          If RPI and SLU win, Harvard @ Yale.
                          YALE HOCKEY
                          2013 National Champions

Comment

So much for my faith in the Princeton Tigers. Bummer that the Q won't be at the Whale. Who would you rather play? The Saints or the Crimson?

Comment

Apologies to all... I stand (vehemently) corrected. I thought SLU was the bottom seed for some reason: probably my abject fear of Colgate. Someone remind me next time to actually check the standings before posting. I still think we're getting QU, though.
                              Wrong again, Blue (about Q). But, NO WORRIES....... even Yalies make mistakes. IMHO, you CERTAINLY picked the right college!!!! ROTFLMAO.

Comment

Fair enough. If there's one thing my three Yale degrees should have taught me, it's that one should never be surprised by Princeton athletic incompetence -- except in basketball.

Comment

Working...
                                X