Cornell Big Red 2010-2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cornell Big Red 2010-2011

Well, I thought it time to get the thread for the coming season going now that the Roster has been updated (with numbers) for the 2010-2011 on the Big Red's website.

It is as follows:

2 Alyssa Gagliardi D 5-5 Fr. Raleigh, N.C. Shattuck-St. Mary's
    4 Kendice Ogilvie F 5-7 Jr. Delburne, Alberta Red Deer Chiefs / Alberta U18
    6 Olivia Cook F 5-3 Fr. Akwesasne, N.Y. Nepean Wildcats / Ontario South
    7 Lauriane Rougeau D 5-8 So. Beaconsfield, Quebec Dawson College / Canada U22
    8 Jessica Campbell F 5-4 Fr. Melville, Saskatchewan Pursuit of Excellence / Saskatchewan U18 / Canada U18
    9 Xandra Hompe F 5-7 So. New Canaan, Conn. Greenwich Academy
    11 Brianne Jenner F 5-9 Fr. Oakville, Ontario Canada U22 / Canadian Senior National Team
    13 Amanda Young D 5-6 Jr. Lacombe, Alberta Red Deer Chiefs / Alberta U18
    16 Rebecca Johnston F 5-9 Jr. Sudbury, Ont. Sudbury Wolves / Ontario U18 / Canada U22
    19 Hayley Hughes F 5-6 Sr. Stouffville, Ontario Toronto Aeros
    20 Catherine White F 5-9 Jr. Brampton, Ontario Mississauga Chiefs / Ontario U18 / Canada U18
    21 Amber Overguard D/F 5-8 Sr. Sundre, Alberta Warner Warriors / Alberta U18
    23 Jenna Paulson D 5-9 Jr. Toronto, Ontario Toronto Aeros
    24 Hayleigh Cudmore D 5-4 Fr. Oakville, Ontario Oakville Ice / Ontario U18 / Canada U18
    26 Chelsea Karpenko F 5-6 Jr. Winnipeg, Manitoba Notre Dame Hounds / Manitoba U18 / Canada U18
    27 Karlee Overguard F 5-8 Sr. Sundre, Alberta Warner Warriors / Alberta U18
    29 Amanda Mazzotta G 5-5 Jr. London, Ontario London Devilettes / Ontario U18 / Canada U18
    30 Lauren Slebodnick G 5-8 Fr. Manchester, N.H. Cushing Academy
    35 Katie Wilson G 5-6 Sr. Uxbridge, Ontario Markham/Stouffville Stars
    77 Laura Fortino D 5-6 So. Hamilton, Ontario Stoney Creek Jr. Sabres / Ontario U18 / Canada U18

I'm going to have some fun working on some line combo's, which I will post in the not to distant future.

Re: Cornell Big Red 2010-2011

Originally posted by mattj711 View Post
    Well, I thought it time to get the thread for the coming season going now that the Roster has been updated (with numbers) for the 2010-2011 on the Big Red's website.

It is as follows:

8 Jessica Campbell F 5-4 Fr. Melville, Saskatchewan Pursuit of Excellence / Saskatchewan U18 / Canada U18
    11 Brianne Jenner F 5-9 Fr. Oakville, Ontario Canada U22 / Canadian Senior National Team
    16 Rebecca Johnston F 5-9 Jr. Sudbury, Ont. Sudbury Wolves / Ontario U18 / Canada U22
    20 Catherine White F 5-9 Jr. Brampton, Ontario Mississauga Chiefs / Ontario U18 / Canada U18
    24 Hayleigh Cudmore D 5-4 Fr. Oakville, Ontario Oakville Ice / Ontario U18 / Canada U18
    26 Chelsea Karpenko F 5-6 Jr. Winnipeg, Manitoba Notre Dame Hounds / Manitoba U18 / Canada U18
    29 Amanda Mazzotta G 5-5 Jr. London, Ontario London Devilettes / Ontario U18 / Canada U18
    77 Laura Fortino D 5-6 So. Hamilton, Ontario Stoney Creek Jr. Sabres / Ontario U18 / Canada U18

I'm going to have some fun working on some line combo's, which I will post in the not to distant future.
    So it looks like unfortunately the rumours were true...Martino is not back...anyone else from last year not returning?

Comment

Martino has transfered to Boston College per our BTD HEA Editor.
      The WCHA Dynasty
      Wisconsin
      National Championships: 2011,2009,2007,2006; Runners Up: 2012, 2008
      MOP Winners: Bauer (07), Duggan (11), Knight (11), Vetter (06, 09)

Minnesota
      National Championships: 2012, 2005, 2004, 2000 (AWCHA); Runners Up: 2006
      MOP Winners: Darwitz (05), Killewald (00), Raty(12), Wendell (04)

Minnesota-Duluth
      National Championships: 2010, 2008, 2003, 2002, 2001; Runners Up: 2007
      MOP Winners: Blais (10), Martin (08), Ouellette (03), Rooth (01)

Comment

As far as I know (which isn't a whole lot), Martino is the only player prematurely departing the Big Red. I certainly wish her much success at BC and have enjoyed watching her play the last two seasons.

Ok, so lines. I've kind of been going back and forth with a number of pairings and think there are a bunch of options to play with, but I would kind of like to see the following:

K. Overguard White Johnston
        Campbell Jenner Karpenko
        Hughes Ogilvie A. Overguard
        Cook Hompe

Fortino Rougeau
        Young Cudmore (or Gagliardi I suspect Cornell will play with a primarily 5 D rotation similar to last year)
        Gagliardi Paulson

Mazzotta
        Slebodnick (I'm very excited to see her play...she should provide great depth in net)
        Wilson
        Last edited by mattj711; 08-17-2010, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mattj711 View Post

It is as follows:

Pretty exciting -- with only 4 srs this year and another top goalie recruit already committed for 2011, looks like DD has things set for a few years to come!

My daughter and I plan on catching some of the u22 games this weekend -- should be great to see the competition level so high at that age group...and so many Big Red players in action!

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
            So it looks like unfortunately the rumours were true...Martino is not back...anyone else from last year not returning?
            HMMMM--- well I did not think she would leave Cornell-although she is from Boston area
            Cornell's loss will be Boston College's gain!!!
            Well I will miss Martino's play--- excellent defenseman--- with good offensive skills- She set up the tying goal in the semifinal game--that set the merceyhurst game into O.T.----
            GOOD LUCK AT B.C.!!!

Comment

Ottowa Sun article on Amanda Mazzotta.

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hock.../15116751.html

Comment

Cornell Big Red 2010-2011/Martino

Don't cry for me Argentina.

Do any of you seriously contemplate-think, Cornell will even lose a game this season?

Your team is, 'stacked'.

" 8/16/2010 9:51:51 AM
                ITHACA, N.Y. -- An amazing eight members of the Cornell women's hockey team have been named to the 22-player roster of the Canadian U22 National Team, announced on Sunday by Hockey Canada head coach Jim Fetter. The octet will represent their home nation in a three-game series against the United States U22 Select team on August 18, 19 and 21 in Toronto, Ontario. "

Etc.

(Above as per, "Cornell Big Red-The Official Site of Cornell University Athletics")

Jenner, Fortino, Rougeau, Mazzotta, White, Johnston, Campbell, Karpenko.
                Includes current (and maybe a former) ECAC Player of the Year (White-current).

I'm still some smarting, for instance, from Fortino and Rougeau matriculating Fall 2009 after doors otherwise were seemingly buttoned up...

But didn't they have a nice year, impact?

Comment

Re: Cornell Big Red 2010-2011/Martino

Originally posted by papulaisle View Post

Do any of you seriously contemplate-think, Cornell will even lose a game this season?

Your team is, 'stacked'.

ITHACA, N.Y. -- An amazing eight members of the Cornell women's hockey team have been named to the 22-player roster of the Canadian U22 National Team, announced on Sunday by Hockey Canada head coach Jim Fetter. The octet will represent their home nation in a three-game series against the United States U22 Select team on August 18, 19 and 21 in Toronto, Ontario. "

Etc.

(Above as per, "Cornell Big Red-The Official Site of Cornell University Athletics")

I'm still some smarting, for instance, from Fortino and Rougeau matriculating Fall 2009 after doors otherwise were seemingly buttoned up...

And your point is ?

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                    And your point is ?
                    Ya......

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                      And your point is ?
                      1) Cornell has a ton of talent;
                      2) Dartmouth fan would have preferred that some of that talent enroll in Hanover.
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Your team is, 'stacked'.

Etc.

...and NJC Bi-PolarBear just had a conniption...

Comment

Cornell Big Red 2010-2011

I come from 'Eras' less competitive/a-swarm with talent, teams, seeking edges.
                          Also before (substantial) Canadian, abroad, player presence and subsequent dominance in USA college hockey.

Am leery, quite- of ALL quick fix, hasty remedy, possibly extra legal measures. Appearance as well .

Seek parity-fairness and especially transparency.

You?

I never felt fully satisfied here Rougeau and Fortino -others- were incorporated into Ivy play (college life,even) fully meeting restraints, limits, restrictions -STRICTURES- cited above.
                          Remains, ARM.

Most players now play 'professional' hockey first in Canada, abroad and USA; they're now or later thus appearing on US college teams.

Who's watching? Who's enforcing rules?

Who's (International!) rules?

Comment

I come from 'Eras' less competitive/a-swarm with talent, teams, seeking edges.
                            Also before (substantial) Canadian, abroad, player presence and subsequent dominance in USA college hockey.

Am leery, quite- of ALL quick fix, hasty remedy, possibly extra legal measures. Appearance as well .

Seek parity-fairness and especially transparency.

You?

I never felt fully satisfied here Rougeau and Fortino -others- were incorporated into Ivy play (college life,even) fully meeting restraints, limits, restrictions -STRICTURES- cited above.
                            Remains, ARM.

Most players now play 'professional' hockey first in Canada, abroad and USA; they're now or later thus appearing on US college teams.

Who's watching? Who's enforcing rules?

Who's (International!) rules?
                            Not a single Female Player plays "as you put it" 'professional hockey'. For starters it would make them ineligible for the NCAA. Many do however play on National U18 and National U22 teams.

Not sure why you single out these two players or Cornell. IIRC there were plenty of National players on Darthmouth in the past. I'm sure you did not complain about that at the time. One of Rougeau's longtime teammates plays for Darthmouth. Not sure why you would single out Cornell. Plenty of other Ivy Schools with National Caliber players, both past and present.

IMHO, If Cornell did all the work to recruit/land these good players, good on them. Just remember, not that long ago they were the laughing stock of the Ivy circuit in Womens hockey. They have proven that with hard work and some good recruiting you can build/rebuild a program.

Comment

Your team is, 'stacked'.

Etc.

Where is that decoder ring when I need it...can anyone translate?
                              GOT ICE? PLAY HOCKEY

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world," Calvin.

“If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

Working...
                              X