PDA

View Full Version : hockey major?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

jcarter7669
08-18-2010, 01:56 PM
All of a sudden this thread has become much more entertaining.

http://www.nmubaseball.net/uscho/popcorn.gif

Osorojo
08-18-2010, 05:55 PM
Is this your goal? :confused:

Anyway, call it what you like. I guess it's ok because you seem to be quite impressed with yourself no matter what...

My goal? Nope. Nobody can make you feel inferior but yourself, so I'd be wasting my time trying. Is it your goal to censor investigation and discussion of the academic success of hockey players and hockey colleges? If you don't have feelings of inferiority and you don't just don't care about any correlation between college academics and college hockey what possible pleasure or profit do you find in posting to this thread?

I would like to hear about former college hockey players who had especially noteworthy careers outside of pro hockey. If this question bothers you don't hesitate to explain why.

Dirty
08-18-2010, 05:59 PM
I would like to hear about former college hockey players who had especially noteworthy careers outside of pro hockey. If this question bothers you don't hesitate to explain why.

Then why the hell did you start a thread regarding current player's major?

komey1
08-18-2010, 06:11 PM
Even if the title reads like you were insinuating that schools offer "hockey" as a major.

MoFan
08-18-2010, 06:36 PM
He's an Ivy academic elitist. Probably mad that his school (my guess is Cornell) hasn't won more national titles because "inferior" schools such as mine aren't as difficult academically and get better recruits. So he makes up this problem that the kids at these "inferior" schools don't care about school at all and just care about hockey despite being shown quite a bit of evidence to the contrary and seems to be insulted that some of them take the money after a couple years to do their job.

In short. It's seems like sour grapes to me. Well that seems a little judgmental to me. Is that what you think Cornellians feel? I can't speak for everyone but I was happy to go to a good school (not the best) with a good hockey team (not the best)............but with the best game atmosphere.;)

Then on to Michigan, where we have the best recruiting class every year.;)

MoFan
08-18-2010, 06:39 PM
I would like to hear about former college hockey players who had especially noteworthy careers outside of pro hockey. If this question bothers you don't hesitate to explain why.Here's an example of a successful hockey career combined with an obviously successful invention. http://www.faniq.com/blog/Sharks-Defenseman-Douglas-Murray-Is-The-Best-Inventor-Ever-Blog-8066

I'm assuming this is the type of example you're looking for. :)

Osorojo
08-18-2010, 06:41 PM
Even if the title reads like you were insinuating that schools offer "hockey" as a major.

Wow. I'm stumped. Do you also think a question about successful careers of ex-college players outside pro hockey insinuates there are no successful careers to be had in pro hockey?
Let's suppose for a moment that someone has an interest in what becomes of 99+% of college hockey players after they leave school, and a particular interest in those who have especially noteworthy careers. How could this person word a request for such information so that he wouldn't be shouted down by hockey fanatics?
While you're at it, let's suppose a person is interested in what college hockey students study while they are not busy shooting and scoring. How could he word this question so he would not be accused of elitism or subversion?

Patman
08-18-2010, 06:47 PM

You think Joe Juneau would have had a terrible time in the real world after graduating with an aerospace degree in 3 years? (RPI fans, please correct me.)

Osorojo
08-18-2010, 07:34 PM
You think Joe Juneau would have had a terrible time in the real world after graduating with an aerospace degree in 3 years? (RPI fans, please correct me.)

How in hell did you come up with the idea I am prejudiced against hockey players with college degrees?
I didn't know about Juneau's academic success, but I'm pleased to hear about it. I welcome more such success stories. They interest me and some other people more than statistics about blocked shots, hits, and such.

Dirty
08-18-2010, 07:36 PM
How in hell did you come up with the idea I am prejudiced against hockey players with college degrees?
I didn't know about Juneau's academic success, but I'm pleased to hear about it. I welcome more such success stories. They interest me and some other people more than statistics about blocked shots, hits, and such.

Do these other people exist inside or outside of your mind?

Happy
08-18-2010, 07:54 PM
My goal? Nope. Nobody can make you feel inferior but yourself, so I'd be wasting my time trying. Is it your goal to censor investigation and discussion of the academic success of hockey players and hockey colleges? If you don't have feelings of inferiority and you don't just don't care about any correlation between college academics and college hockey what possible pleasure or profit do you find in posting to this thread?

Hobey Baker.

MinnesotaNorthStar
08-18-2010, 11:17 PM
Well that seems a little judgmental to me. Is that what you think Cornellians feel? I can't speak for everyone but I was happy to go to a good school (not the best) with a good hockey team (not the best)............but with the best game atmosphere.;)
Now, now. I've meet my fair share of Cornell fans, and they've been great. Except jmh, he's kind of a jerk. But, I chalk that up to him being from Jersey. :D

And Lynah's atmosphere is no where near as good as The Ralph's. Ok, I couldn't keep a straight face while typing that...:p

LynahFan
08-19-2010, 02:26 AM
Then perhaps you should move this thread to the college hockey alumni forum, where it might actually be somewhat topical.

You start the worst threads I've seen in 10+ years on this board, and then whine "censorship" when others disagree with you. Nobody is deleting your posts, so you're not being censored. Post all the dreck you like, but be man enough to take the criticism that follows.

jcarter7669
08-19-2010, 07:50 AM

Then go to the cafe and start that thread there...where it belongs.

Jeez man, what part of this are you struggling with?

And if that's what you wanted to know, why isn't that what you named the thread, or asked in the opening post...

bigblue_dl
08-19-2010, 08:01 AM
Maybe you should come up with some names of players that weren't successful after playing college hockey? Can you name anyone that played college hockey, and didn't drop out except to play pro hockey, that has ended up in a breadline? It seems like that would mean most are pretty successful.

Osorojo
08-19-2010, 09:43 AM
Then go to the cafe and start that thread there...where it belongs.

Jeez man, what part of this are you struggling with?

And if that's what you wanted to know, why isn't that what you named the thread, or asked in the opening post...

I started this thread with the assumptions that selecting a course of study precedes a college degree, and that college graduates are more successful than most other groups in the population. I did not mention college drop-outs for fear of an causing an epidemic of apoplexy among lurkers. I like to hear success stories, and I think many fans would be proud to relate the (non-hockey) successes of former players for their team.
There are many posters, some of them parents, who view hockey players as one-dimensional individuals: hockey players. You can see a few of them (and their children) at every youth hockey game and on this site: "How dare you discuss academics and athletics?" "Why on earth would anyone be interested in what happens to hockey players after they stop playing? A discussion about life during and after hockey would be good for the kids, even though it might confuse and infuriate their parents.

jcarter7669
08-19-2010, 11:42 AM
There are many posters, some of them parents, who view hockey players as one-dimensional individuals: hockey players.

Not you though, you see them as quality student athletes...

... college hockey programs which, to build winning records, rely upon scholarships to recruit hockey players with questionable academic credentials, academic aspirations, and academic performance.

But you only care about what majors they choose purely for curiousity, and you only care to hear about success stories because it warms your heart...

MoFan
08-19-2010, 11:58 AM
Now, now. I've meet my fair share of Cornell fans, and they've been great. Except jmh, he's kind of a jerk. But, I chalk that up to him being from Jersey. :DHey, I'm from Jersey too.......small world.

LynahFan
08-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Hey, I'm from Jersey too.......small world.

Cornellians from Jersey? Go figure - I thought all y'all who talked funny were from Long Island... ;)

(Tennessee boy here)

Osorojo
08-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Not you though, you see them as quality student athletes...

But you only care about what majors they choose purely for curiousity, and you only care to hear about success stories because it warms your heart...

I have suspended mention of sleazy recruiting and scholarship practices by college hockey programs. Such talk puts college hockey zealots in a frenzy which could result in a fatal attack of apoplexy and criminal charges.

Inviting examples of academic success by hockey players and successful careers by former hockey players is met with a gratuitous chorus of "We don't care so shut up." and "You're only asking because you hate hockey and hockey players." I don't follow the logic or the ESP here?

Posts by zealous hockey fans show they fear the recognition of academic excellence in individual players and the benefits of hockey programs besides preparing for a professional hockey career. That recognition must accept that if there is academic success by some hockey players there must be academic failure by others and the hockey programs which advance the careers of the majority of college players are probably superior to programs which attempt little more than to prepare a tiny minority of players for a pro career, and by doing so achieving trophies. College hockey fanatics even refuse to recognize the increasing competition between college hockey and major junior hockey for this tiny minority of players or admit the changes this competition is creating in the recruitment and academic expectations of "franchise players."

Let the denials begin!