Outdoor hockey has jumped the shark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor hockey has jumped the shark

BC/BU and UW/UM last year. UM and MSU, UConn/SHU this year, pus maybe a RMU/? game as part of the Winter Classic (and don't forget, there are two outdoor NHL games this year too). Now, add in the latest - St. Ben's/Concordia D-III women's outdoors. When will it end?
    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
    B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
    CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
    ECAC:
    HEA: UMass
    NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
    Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Re: Outdoor hockey has jumped the shark

I don't mind the outdoor games as long as they follow one of two (or both) qualifiers.

A) The game will fill or nearly fill whatever venue they use for it.

B) The game is taking place in conjunction with the Winter Classic.

Under those guidelines, UM/MSU and the RMU game are fine. The other ones, not so much.
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
      BC/BU and UW/UM last year. UM and MSU, UConn/SHU this year, pus maybe a RMU/? game as part of the Winter Classic (and don't forget, there are two outdoor NHL games this year too). Now, add in the latest - St. Ben's/Concordia D-III women's outdoors. When will it end?
      It's getting overplayed. But, the NHL certainly has something in the Winter Classic. No doubt about that. I think that will continue to grow into something awesome. The Uconn/Sacred Heart game is incredibly stupid. With the cost involved, you need to really sell the place out to not lose money. Losing money is bad business and when it becomes bad business we'll see a stop to this trend in D1, IMO.

Is that women's game being played in a football/baseball field or just an existing rink that happens to be outdoors? If they aren't building a special rink in a non-hockey facility then I would say it's almost a reach to call it even newsworthy ("first women's outdoor game in MIAC history"... it's not even the first time women have done it).
      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

The game's roots are outdoors, so from the player's perspective and the game's perspective, outdoor games are still cool.

From a spectator's perspective, though, I think you need very attractive teams and fans who are willing to sit in the cold for it, and only in certain combinations of teams, venues and areas would you find enough fans in the venure to justify the $250,000 cost of setting up the ice.

For example, DU playing CC could draw maybe 15,000-20,000 for an outdoor game at 75,000 seat Mile High Stadium on their own (making just enough money to cover costs). A financial wash and some fun for the true fans and players, but the 55,000 empty seats would be no fun. If I were DU and CC, I would want to play on New Years Eve with fireworks and a concert afterwards, then Avs vs Red Wings as the Winter Classic on New Years Day. That way, the NHL picks up the ice costs, and DU and CC could draw maybe 40,000 that way. You could also have a double header on Saturday, but most fans here would not stick around for the college game.

Comment

my favorate was the Sault Ste. Marie High School game.

My big problem with the winter classic is that it takes place on what is traditionally the biggest day of the year for college football.

Comment

Originally posted by Laker Hockey View Post
            My big problem with the winter classic is that it takes place on what is traditionally the biggest day of the year for college football.
            In the early New Years Day timeslot, the Winter Classic has put up very nice TV ratings since many of the the key Bowl games are now played after New Year's Day.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
              It's getting overplayed. But, the NHL certainly has something in the Winter Classic. No doubt about that. I think that will continue to grow into something awesome. The Uconn/Sacred Heart game is incredibly stupid. With the cost involved, you need to really sell the place out to not lose money. Losing money is bad business and when it becomes bad business we'll see a stop to this trend in D1, IMO.

Is that women's game being played in a football/baseball field or just an existing rink that happens to be outdoors? If they aren't building a special rink in a non-hockey facility then I would say it's almost a reach to call it even newsworthy ("first women's outdoor game in MIAC history"... it's not even the first time women have done it).
              Existing rink that happens to be outdoors. Go St. Ben's!

Comment

I've changed my mind on this. The more outdoor games the better as far as I'm concerned.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

"Jumping the shark" has jumped the shark.
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                    "Jumping the shark" has nuked the fridge.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      Well played.
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

One out door series that I think should happen at some point would be an Army vs Air Force game. One year have it at either Army Football Field/Yankee Stadium and another year have it at the Air Force's field. Have extra proceeds from the game help fund jump starting Navy's teams to Varsity.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                          "Jumping the shark" has jumped the shark.
                          Jumping the shark has gone down the tubes.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                          -Blackadder
                          "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                          -Casablanca
                          "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                          -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                            The Uconn/Sacred Heart game is incredibly stupid. With the cost involved, you need to really sell the place out to not lose money.
                            While that one is stupid and they won't draw much to it... In a meager defense of the organizers in CT, that game is just one of many games to be played on that rink in a publicity event to push for the return of NHL to Hartford (which will likley never happen, IMO). So although not many will attend the UConn/SHU game, the cost of the event will be spread out amongst a number of events. How any of the rest of them will draw is another story altogether.

Side note: Although they haven't yet revived the NHL in Hartford, the Whale is back, in a manner of speaking. The Hartford Wolfpack will become the Connecticut Whalers this season:
                            "In other news surrounding your Hartford hockey club…

Also, as many have read in local newspapers, or here on Howlings, the last hurdle has been cleared for Howard Baldwin and his Whalers Sports & Entertainment to take over operation of the Hartford Wolf Pack. Larry Gottesdiener and his Northland Investment Corporation’s essentially removed itself from the equation in the operation of the XL Center. They turned over their interests to AEG. Well, it is only a matter of time now, as early as next week, that it should become official. When that happens, the Hartford Wolf Pack will be no more and the new team will be the Connecticut Whalers. The relationship with the Rangers will remain in place. This will be a huge moment for the city of Hartford and for the players as well. With Baldwin running things there should be a renewed interest in the team and making it an event once again. Expect the team to once again start drawing big crowds and become the place to be. Howlings will stay on top of this story."
                            from → AHL, Hartford Whalers, Hartford Wolf Pack, Hockey
                            Can't we all just get along?
                            Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              jumping the shark and nuking the fridge have "hit the slide"

Comment

Working...
                              X