WCHA 2010 Predictions Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA 2010 Predictions Thread

Either it will give them some help, or it will hurt them by getting used to playing hockey without getting hit.
    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
      Incoming freshmen aren't aren't allowed to go, so that hurts, but yes - playing pro teams in Europe helps generate bonding and experience.
      What about Freshmen that are already enrolled in Summer School?

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
        What about Freshmen that are already enrolled in Summer School?
        I don't know what the rule says, but I'm 99% sure that none of the freshmen made the trip, except for Gordic, who is technically still in his first season due to a medical redshirt, but played a couple games last season.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          I don't know what the rule says, but I'm 99% sure that none of the freshmen made the trip, except for Gordic, who is technically still in his first season due to a medical redshirt, but played a couple games last season.
          Interesting. Thanks.

Teams that make the Frozen Four get an extra month of sanctioned practices, as opposed to teams that are eliminated from the 1st round of the league playoffs. It usually helps the team team the following season. The same is true of NCAA football teams that make bowl games.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
            Is it just me or could Michigan Tech get a leg up on the season by taking this tour? I could see them using this a springboard to getting off to a huge start for the first four weeks of the season at least.
            I'd like to think so, but I have little in the way of expectations anymore.

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
            Either it will give them some help, or it will hurt them by getting used to playing hockey without getting hit.
            They've actually been forcing their opponents to play pretty physical.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
            Yeah, bb_dl is correct. None of the true freshmen were permitted to make the trip, because none of them are technically members of the team yet.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
              I'm more concerned about injuries than anything, given the past two seasons. They're playing 5 games in 6 days. That can take a toll.
              Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Here are my predictions from the first WCHA predictions thread from may

1. North Dakota - They have the fewest question marks of any team in the league, and they return nearly everyone from a squad that once again was playing its best hockey at the end of the season.

2. St. Cloud State - Very similar to North Dakota, and I could honestly see either team (or both) skate the MacNaughton around at the end of the season. They have a lot of talent all over the ice, and they'll be a scary team next season.

3. Denver - They graduated a lot of talent, and also lost key pieces to their regular season title run via early departure. Given that, the Pioneers always seem to reload as opposed to rebuild. I could see them finishing anywhere between about 3rd and 6th, but for now, I'll place them here.

4. Minnesota-Duluth - They are returning a lot of talent to the ice as well for the upcoming season. One thing that does concern me is how they faded during the stretch run last season.

5. Minnesota - I could honestly see them finishing anywhere from about 3rd-8th. They have a ton of talent coming in, but as we've seen the past few seaons that doesn't necessarily translate to W's. Saying that, the Gophers have to start playing inspired hockey at somepoint right? I think this is the year.

6. Wisconsin - Along with Denver, they lost a lot of talent from their run to the National Title game. They have a good recruiting class coming in, and they still have a lot of talent on the blueline. If they can put up the goal numbers that they did last season, they'll be much higher than this spot.

7. Nebraska-Omaha - Blais led the Mavericks to their third highest win total in the program's 13 year history in his very first season. If his track record at North Dakota applies here, we won't be seeing UNO in the bottom half for very long.

8. Bemidji State - The Beavers are an enigma to me. Will they be the team that was a thorn in many WCHA team's sides while a member of the CHA? Will they be the team that showed it's talent on its way to the Frozen Four in 2009? Or will they be the team that faded to the stretch in 2010? I think Bemidji State has enough talent to be a top-half team, but I think it's first season in the grind that is the WCHA will wear on them. Don't be surprised if they start off strong early, and fade down the stretch.

9. Colorado College - I could see CC finish anywhere between 4th and 9th. I placed them here because I really do believe that the 8 teams I listed above them have more talent. Saying that, Scotty Owens always gets the most out of his teams. If other teams falter above them, and the Tigers get the most out of their squad, they'll be a top half team. If not, they'll be on the road for the first round of the WCHA Playoffs.

10. Minnesota-State - The Mavericks lost a lot of their scoring, and also had some issues in the nets. Given that, and the overall talent level that will be in the WCHA next season, I don't see Mankato climbing much higher than this spot. I think they are better than Tech and Anchorage, hence this ranking.

11. Michigan Tech - They aren't in the cellar moreso for the fact that UAA lost much of its scoring power and won't be very good next year. I would love to see Tech ranking consistently in the top half, but for now, they just don't have the talent up and down the roster that the big dogs do.

12. Anchorage - Perhaps I'll be way off on this, but I don't see UAA being very good at all. Shyiak is a good coach, so I don't think they'll be as bad as say the '02-'03 team. I don't think they'll be that much better though.
                North Dakota
                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Lakeland Public Television will televise the opening and closing series of the Bemidji State season(North Dakota and Minnesota) and Lakeland Plus for the remaining games in 2010-2011.

Lakeland Public Television is available on DirecTV and Dish Network throughout the Twin Cities viewing area on channel 22.

Comment

Ahh haven't posted in a while. Let's see how this goes.

1. UND
                    2. UMD
                    3. SCSU
                    4. DU
                    5. UW
                    6. BSU
                    7. UMTC
                    8. CC
                    9. MSU
                    10. UNO
                    11. UAA
                    12. MTU

I can't see how anyone could say UND isn't the preseason favorite at this point. On paper, they seem to be one of the favorites in the nation. UMD and St. Cloud will be battling it out for second and third, then there's quite a drop off talent wise from there. While DU does reload quickly, they lost too much talent to be considered a contender. This being said, I thought that UMD was gonna be top 3 last season, and they let me down. So we'll see how it goes.
                    "In heaven there is no beer. NO BEER! That's why we drink it here. RIGHT HERE!"

Comment

Maybe Mich. Tech. won't finish last this season?

http://www.uscho.com/news/college-ho...opeanTrip.html

While the other WCHA teams are lifting weights, doing dry land excercises, and skating occasionally, Mich. Tech. is off to Europe to play Pro teams!

Heck they should be ready to play some hockey by October, maybe?
                      "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
                        Maybe Mich. Tech. won't finish last this season?

http://www.uscho.com/news/college-ho...opeanTrip.html

While the other WCHA teams are lifting weights, doing dry land excercises, and skating occasionally, Mich. Tech. is off to Europe to play Pro teams!

So far Tech is 2-2 with a 3-0 win over Kaufbauren of the Bundesliga and a 6-5 win over Vienna Capitals of the EBEL. They losses were 2-0 against Black Wings Linz of the EBEL and 5-2 against Augsburger Panther of the DEL.
                        Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                        What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
                          Maybe - I'm not counting chickens before they're hatched yet.

I still like our odds at 11th better than AA w/o Clark and their defense that never seems to improve.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            Maybe - I'm not counting chickens before they're hatched yet.

I still like our odds at 11th better than AA w/o Clark and their defense that never seems to improve.
                            My friend who studied abroad in Austria and is familiar with the teams said Vienna was definitely the strongest of the teams we'd face. Can't be a bad thing, that's for sure.
                            Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by dogs2012 View Post
                              I can't see how anyone could say UND isn't the preseason favorite at this point. On paper, they seem to be one of the favorites in the nation. UMD and St. Cloud will be battling it out for second and third, then there's quite a drop off talent wise from there.
                              One reason could be the clusters - UMD's should be much easier than SCSU and UND's cluster. I think UND will be the better team, but UMD has a schedule that is easier by enough of a margin that they might finish ahead of the Sioux.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                                So far Tech is 2-2 with a 3-0 win over Kaufbauren of the Bundesliga and a 6-5 win over Vienna Capitals of the EBEL. They losses were 2-0 against Black Wings Linz of the EBEL and 5-2 against Augsburger Panther of the DEL.
                                MTU didn't have a chance against Augsburg... they have four former WCHA players!!
                                scsuhockey.com
                                CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

Working...
                                X