X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2010 Off-season thread V: Captain Kennedy and the A-Team

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
    Principalli's not eligible, at least not this season. He played a couple games in major junior, so he has to sit a season and lose a year of eligibility. AC's got another one in Blake Barkwell who did the same thing a couple years ago.
    Right, but I was under the impression that playing in major junior made you permanently ineligible.
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

No. It was that way for a long time, but they changed that a few years ago.
      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
        Watts is actually on the list twice. And what's up with the guy with major junior experience being eligible, out of curiosity?
        The second Watts listing is deleted now. I originally had it at the bottom but moved it to the top to allow room for the notes on Principalli and forgot to clear the original Watts entry off. My bad on that and sorry for any confusion.

Edit: The odds of me even somehow stumbling across this post are staggering
        I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          Looks like there was nothing pertaining to RPI hockey today.

I do wish to apologize to HockyDad for mixing him up with someone else. Of course, he probably won't read this.

Edit: I should add that I was out all day, and I was hoping that we signed a recruit. At least we didn't lose anyone.
          Were you hoping that the recruit's initials were JL?
          "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
            Were you hoping that the recruit's initials were JL?
            Not necessarily, since it is doubtful that anything we would hear at this time would be conclusive.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Today is 15 August 2010. There are 54 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 8 October for the start of next season.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Found this article to be very interesting. The Tipping Point-College Hockey continues to bleed talent

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...12_between.php
                I agree with this writer 100%.The NHL is beginning to look like the NBA and we all know what a mess that has become and all the sad stories of teenage phenoms who never made it and suffered in some cases bad endings.I have observed junior hockey and have come to the conclusion that in many cases these are no more than meat markets especially these tournaments.College coaches are as guilty as anybody and USA hockey just might be the most guilty!!!! It has become a matter of professional survival,and IMO has become a race to the bottom.Im sure babo could enlighten us as to the ugly side of this perverted game.Asking 18 and 19yr.old kids to make these choices is I believe over the top.Whatever happened of the concept of enjoying your youth.I have an 18 and 20 yr.old and in some respects there are adults but anyone whom has kids this age will attest they are surely in a lot of respects still kids and thats a good thing.It would be nice to put an age limit like 21 or something on pro contracts...but the law says your of legal age at 18 and thats that.change needs to come from within and that will never happen. The Kovalchuck contract highlights the fact that the powers that be are unable to even police themselves.I hope for the sake of the game and atheletes someone figures this all out,but I don't hold out much hope early signings seem to be the new normal and the race to the bottom intensifies.Just my Opinion.Boy do I feel better now!!!!!
                What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

wishing Jerry D much success in the Pros. RPI has a strong program so this just leaves an opening for someone else to step it up and make things happen.

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
                    I agree with this writer 100%.The NHL is beginning to look like the NBA and we all know what a mess that has become and all the sad stories of teenage phenoms who never made it and suffered in some cases bad endings.I have observed junior hockey and have come to the conclusion that in many cases these are no more than meat markets especially these tournaments.College coaches are as guilty as anybody and USA hockey just might be the most guilty!!!! It has become a matter of professional survival,and IMO has become a race to the bottom.Im sure babo could enlighten us as to the ugly side of this perverted game.Asking 18 and 19yr.old kids to make these choices is I believe over the top.Whatever happened of the concept of enjoying your youth.I have an 18 and 20 yr.old and in some respects there are adults but anyone whom has kids this age will attest they are surely in a lot of respects still kids and thats a good thing.It would be nice to put an age limit like 21 or something on pro contracts...but the law says your of legal age at 18 and thats that.change needs to come from within and that will never happen. The Kovalchuck contract highlights the fact that the powers that be are unable to even police themselves.I hope for the sake of the game and atheletes someone figures this all out,but I don't hold out much hope early signings seem to be the new normal and the race to the bottom intensifies.Just my Opinion.Boy do I feel better now!!!!!
                    I concur. The 'meat market' mentality drills way down into the ranks of young players. I can only speak from our experience, so this little ditty illustrates the 'bait & hook' that waits out there for the weak of conviction: long before our commitment to RPI, the B.R.O. was approached, through our advisor, by a GM in the NHL. He floated (I use that word as the 'bait' portion of the fishing expedition) the idea that they liked BRO's upside and wanted to know if he'd consider foregoing his NCAA eligibility and signing a 3 year deal. While our advisor is a strong college advocate, he was obliged to bring it to our attention and we decided to go through the exercise. We had no intention of actually doing this and the B.R.O. had been well prepped to keep his ears open and mouth shut (you think he's tough; you should see the Hubster and me in action ). The deal would have paid about 130K/year in major jr.(unless he moved up). Long story short, the 3 year entry agreement has a dirty little portion to it that states if the player doesn't develop enough to make it to the show after the 3 years, the team reserves the right to extend their property rights (can't remember the length of time...a year? Two?) on the player. Sounds good? Maybe. But there is no requirement for remuneration attached to [I]that[I] portion (I call that the hook) . Where could we have ended up? Naugatuck Valley Community College and a part time job at Stop & Shop local supermarket...
                    Instead, Monty, SA and Vines will groom him and RPI will prepare him for the life he'll lead after hockey. Our advisor is one of the VERY few who will not represent a player who is not NCAA-minded. That's why we chose him.

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
                      Excellent points tb. I was glad to see you received most improved poster ...
                      I know it is hard sometimes for you to live in the shadows of my greatness especially since I am your younger brother. Even though I had a great year on the board and received Rookie of the Year honors I want assure to you and others that I won't be leaving this thread for the allure of $$$$, fame... wait ... I will entertain offers, don't want to limit my options
                      "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by babo View Post
                        I concur. The 'meat market' mentality drills way down into the ranks of young players. I can only speak from our experience, so this little ditty illustrates the 'bait & hook' that waits out there for the weak of conviction: long before our commitment to RPI, the B.R.O. was approached, through our advisor, by a GM in the NHL. He floated (I use that word as the 'bait' portion of the fishing expedition) the idea that they liked BRO's upside and wanted to know if he'd consider foregoing his NCAA eligibility and signing a 3 year deal. While our advisor is a strong college advocate, he was obliged to bring it to our attention and we decided to go through the exercise. We had no intention of actually doing this and the B.R.O. had been well prepped to keep his ears open and mouth shut (you think he's tough; you should see the Hubster and me in action ). The deal would have paid about 130K/year in major jr.(unless he moved up). Long story short, the 3 year entry agreement has a dirty little portion to it that states if the player doesn't develop enough to make it to the show after the 3 years, the team reserves the right to extend their property rights (can't remember the length of time...a year? Two?) on the player. Sounds good? Maybe. But there is no requirement for remuneration attached to [I]that[I] portion (I call that the hook) . Where could we have ended up? Naugatuck Valley Community College and a part time job at Stop & Shop local supermarket...
                        Instead, Monty, SA and Vines will groom him and RPI will prepare him for the life he'll lead after hockey. Our advisor is one of the VERY few who will not represent a player who is not NCAA-minded. That's why we chose him.
                        Very informative. Very levelheaded decision making process. Now while he spends 4 years getting one of the highest quality educations in the country I hope he hits everything on the ice like a Mack truck. I sincerely want to be posting the word SPLAT ont he scoring threads each time we hear BRO plaster someone. I am having trouble waiting for 2011.
                        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

BTW - I am also proud of the honor of Miss Congeniality that Babo conferred to me.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                            Very informative. Very levelheaded decision making process. Now while he spends 4 years getting one of the highest quality educations in the country I hope he hits everything on the ice like a Mack truck. I sincerely want to be posting the word SPLAT ont he scoring threads each time we hear BRO plaster someone. I am having trouble waiting for 2011.
                            Hopefully, with the help of FD08 and others, we can have some preview clips for you from DBQ's season...clips that remind Cornell and others that there are footsteps (size 16) coming down the alley...

Comment

BTW - I am also proud of the honor of Miss Congeniality that Babo conferred to me.
                              Yeah, you always were the Thread favorite...

Comment

Originally posted by babo View Post
                                Yeah, you always were the Thread favorite...
                                I think the portion of the competition that put me over the top was the Q and A part when I said that I most wanted world peace and an ECAC title. Didn't do so well during the swimsuit portion

Comment

Working...
                                X