Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HARVARD CRIMSON 2010-2011 - A New Beginning

Originally posted by bothman View Post
    Harvard has one of the top freshman goalies in the country coming in next year. I would be shocked if Michalek doesn't come in start as a freshman.
    I'm glad Steve is coming next season but if we've learned anything over the last 3-4 years it's not to relie too heavily on recruits press clippings. Even if he does start, as I expect, it's good to have a Plan B in place and I don't think enough has been done in that respect. Steve's had a brutal season with Loomis and he has struggled recently,dropping out of the Top 10 for prep goalies ( SV % ). I've seen him twice and he definitely has solid fundamentals-- his style reminds me of Aaron Israel a bit--- but he's very young (17) and could add some bulk. IMO, he needs a year of juniors before he comes to Harvard but after Ryan and Kyle depart we will need him right away. Coming off a tough prep season ( he just saw 70+ shots his last game ) he's entering a much faster level of hockey next season on a down note. His play deteriorated a good bit the second time I saw him and I was more than a little concerned by what I saw. I do not think his is a similar situation to Hughes from Nobles where Hughes came in young but played for a more solid defensive team and won the title his first year. You can't fault Teddy for much of this season but I wish he had managed the goalie situation a little differently. In a perfect world, I would have rather seen Girard in juniors this year since with Ryan and Kyle on the team he was never going to see much time anyway. Oh, well.

Another win last night and right now I'd say, after Union, Harvard is the hottest team in the ECAC. Teddy has these guys playing with a confidence and purpose that they lacked much of the season. They will be very tough to beat from here on out. Everything seems to be improved, particularly the PK. In-zone play continues to be a big concern but it has gotten better. If the goalies continue to play well and we bury whatever chances we can generate we will be very tough in the tourney. I see players who have been invisible ( or terrible ) much of the year emerging in their play and it's nice to see this happening at the right time. Good job, Teddy and Co. !

Comment

Can anyone cmment on the PP? Harvard's has been clicking at like a 33% rate over the last several games. Has Teddy changed the approach. Special teams is generally the difference come the play-offs.

Comment

• Originally posted by CMKnight View Post
        I'm glad Steve is coming next season but if we've learned anything over the last 3-4 years it's not to relie too heavily on recruits press clippings. Even if he does start, as I expect, it's good to have a Plan B in place and I don't think enough has been done in that respect. Steve's had a brutal season with Loomis and he has struggled recently,dropping out of the Top 10 for prep goalies ( SV % ). I've seen him twice and he definitely has solid fundamentals-- his style reminds me of Aaron Israel a bit--- but he's very young (17) and could add some bulk. IMO, he needs a year of juniors before he comes to Harvard but after Ryan and Kyle depart we will need him right away. Coming off a tough prep season ( he just saw 70+ shots his last game ) he's entering a much faster level of hockey next season on a down note. His play deteriorated a good bit the second time I saw him and I was more than a little concerned by what I saw. I do not think his is a similar situation to Hughes from Nobles where Hughes came in young but played for a more solid defensive team and won the title his first year. You can't fault Teddy for much of this season but I wish he had managed the goalie situation a little differently. In a perfect world, I would have rather seen Girard in juniors this year since with Ryan and Kyle on the team he was never going to see much time anyway. Oh, well.

Another win last night and right now I'd say, after Union, Harvard is the hottest team in the ECAC. Teddy has these guys playing with a confidence and purpose that they lacked much of the season. They will be very tough to beat from here on out. Everything seems to be improved, particularly the PK. In-zone play continues to be a big concern but it has gotten better. If the goalies continue to play well and we bury whatever chances we can generate we will be very tough in the tourney. I see players who have been invisible ( or terrible ) much of the year emerging in their play and it's nice to see this happening at the right time. Good job, Teddy and Co. !
        When you face between 50-70 shots per game, you will wear down as a seson progresses. Expectations for frosh should be tempered, but I think he'll be fine.

Harvard's D will be better next year. Lose Huxley and bring in McNally who has been the best D in prep hockey by a landslide this year. Plus Fick and Ford will be a year older and wiser.

Comment

Can anyone cmment on the PP? Harvard's has been clicking at like a 33% rate over the last several games. Has Teddy changed the approach. Special teams is generally the difference come the play-offs.
          Not an umbrella anymore. Using two point men, working it down low to the corners and then looking for the cross-ice pass. Also a lot of shots wide from the defensman looking for a redirection from someone sneaking out of the corner. Coming into tonight, Harvard had best power play in league games in ECAC.
          Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
          Go Crimson!

Comment

Gallery now added to recap - half game/half senior night - http://www.uscho.com/recaps/2011/02/...-lawrence-4-3/

Mad at myself for not noticing the "easy button" until after Biega was past it following his goal.

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
            HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
            HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

When you face between 50-70 shots per game, you will wear down as a seson progresses. Expectations for frosh should be tempered, but I think he'll be fine.

Harvard's D will be better next year. Lose Huxley and bring in McNally who has been the best D in prep hockey by a landslide this year. Plus Fick and Ford will be a year older and wiser.
              I'm more concerned with who is going to put the puck in the net than who is going to keep it out of the net. We have two excellent senior goalies this year and still finished 10th in the conference. Goaltending wasn't our problem. Scoring goals and headmanning the puck in quick breakouts was the problem. Over the past few games, things have gotten better and you can see improvement. I like what I saw last night in terms of effort, speed, and puck possession. We mucked and grinded to get the lead and then built on it before falling back late in the game. Maybe this is the start of a turnaround.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                I'm more concerned with who is going to put the puck in the net than who is going to keep it out of the net. We have two excellent senior goalies this year and still finished 10th in the conference. Goaltending wasn't our problem. Scoring goals and headmanning the puck in quick breakouts was the problem. Over the past few games, things have gotten better and you can see improvement. I like what I saw last night in terms of effort, speed, and puck possession. We mucked and grinded to get the lead and then built on it before falling back late in the game. Maybe this is the start of a turnaround.
                Fair enough.

Harvard loses very little ofensive stats next year. 47 points in total (I think Lane Mac had more points than that as a frosh )

It will be interesting to see how guys like Linell & Placek & O'Regan translate to the college game. I would expect the most from Linell as a frosh.

Comment

You heard it here first. You guys are going to Atlantic City.

Also, I would not put much stock on prep school players, at least for their frosh and soph years. The transition is too much, especially for a goalie.

Loomis is a pretty bad team too, so that might explain the low numbers.
                  Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyenthusiast View Post

Also, I would not put much stock on prep school players, at least for their frosh and soph years. The transition is too much, especially for a goalie.

I hear you, but guys like Cory Schneider, Chris Kreider, etc didn't need a whole lot of time to adjust....

It can be done!

Thanks for the vote of confidence on AC. I hope you are right.

Comment

I love this prediction particularly from a Colgate alumnus. After all you beat us at Bright and then tied Yale in New Haven in a game that denied the Elis the ECAC championship. I have to think your team has as good a chance as we do to make it to Atlantic City. All you have to do is take down RPI and Union on the road while we do the same at Clarkson and Dartmouth.

I can't recall a third tier team ever making it to the ECAC final four. Maybe this is the year.

GO CRIMSON! GO RAIDERS!
                      Last edited by ALONZO; 02-27-2011, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ALONZO View Post
                        I can't recall a third tier team ever making it to the ECAC final four. Maybe this is the year.
                        It's that hard to remember all the way back to last year?

(#11) Brown in 2010 and (#9) Clarkson in 2004 are the only two third-tier teams to make the final weekend since the new format was put in before the 2002-2003 season.

Google doc with all ECAC Tournament results since the 02-03 season, if you would like to peruse them.
                        Last edited by burgie12; 02-27-2011, 03:32 PM. Reason: ETA Google Doc
                        Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by ALONZO View Post

I love this prediction particularly from a Colgate alumnus. After all you beat us at Bright and then tied Yale in New Haven in a game that denied the Elis the ECAC championship. I have to think your team has as good a chance as we do to make it to Atlantic City. All you have to do is take down RPI and Union on the road while we do the same at Clarkson and Dartmouth.

GO CRIMSON! GO RAIDERS!
                          We beat you at Starr, not Bright, in a hard-fought game that could have gone either way. I agree both Colgate and Harvard are playing their best hockey of the season, and are to me big threats in the upcoming first round series.
                          Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

A thought just occurred to me:

If I told you that in any season that Harvard both beat BU in the Beanpot and Cornell at Lynah, what would be your reaction? Mine too

Amazing our record is what it is, given the above which we never achieve.

Comment

Given your team's recent success, does this mean that Donato doesn't get fired now?

Comment

Teddy has done a magnificent job getting this team to up its game. There has not been a lot of talent here the last couple years-- and other ECAC programs have really emerged -- but Harvard is probably playing to its fullest potential at the moment. They aren't killing teams buy they have learned how to win.

I think a lot of fans frustrations over the last couple years stem from unrealistic expectaions, and perhaps unfamiliarity with the recruiting scene. Fans here have too often jumped to wild conclusions out of all proportions about recruits. Little of it has been grounded in reality. When some fans' fantasies aren't fullfilled they then turn on Teddy. Things are difficult enough without having people call for Teddy's hyde. This is a team that has struggled to find themselves and they have done so with very little true fan support. I'm hoping that people will realize that Teddy has done a wonderful job in getting this team to gel and believe they can win.

Yep, prep hockey isn't what it used to be. Coaches relying heavily on junior hockey to more fully develop players has resulted in older, stronger players in the game. It often does take prep players longer to acclimate to the college game. But there are still players coming out of prep who can make an immediate impact, and I believe that in certain cases a goalie can be one of those players.

McNally will be recognized as the top prep d man this year by many, but really he's not. Mike KcKee at Kent, only a junior, is the top guy. Right now, he's a bigger, stronger and better defensively than McNally. There are others, too, IMO.

McNally is a another guy who really needs a year of juniors to round out his defensive zone play and put on bulk, but he'll already be 20 this December... as a frosh. Right now, he's an old-timer playing among a younger crowd. ( McKee on the other hand is a 93 ). I love McNally's speed ( obviously the Islanders do , too ) and while he may currently be the Paul Coffey of the preps , at this point, I can already see him hurting Harvard in its own zone once he meets faster, stronger competition. Defensively I don't see McNally replacing Huxley next year-- and I'm not one of Huxley's biggest fans. If McNally had headed to a HE school those coaches would have preferred him at forward. Teddy may even want to give him a long look at forward as well. It's not that McNally couldn't eventually become very solid defensively and much stronger; he can, it's just that right now he's got a lot of work to do in that area. With a new starter in goal next year for Harvard, defensive zone support is going to be critical. This is what concerns me about McNally. Better that we take your advice about tempering expectations for frosh, especially in this instance. Like you, I'm delighted that Pat's coming to Harvard though.

Comment

Working...
                                X